Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2764 2765 [2766] 2767 2768 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15773663 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that made you the strongest today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #41475 on: March 05, 2011, 02:55:03 pm »

It doesn't help that a lot of the "evil" dialog is more like "total jackass" dialog.

Bioware still sucks at evil.  Imagine that.  :P

They pretty much write only three options for the player:  Saint, Mercenary, and Card-Carrying Supervillain Jerk.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #41476 on: March 05, 2011, 02:55:50 pm »

My puppy went from PLAY mode to snoring within seconds of a good belly rub.  8)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41477 on: March 05, 2011, 03:09:00 pm »

There are some good evil choices:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's mostly the unimportant dialog that sucks.  Some of it's funny though, my favorite is near the beginning when you find a wounded soldier.  Alistair wanted us to bandage him and help him back to camp, I said "Why?  He's already dead." and killed the guy.
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #41478 on: March 05, 2011, 03:11:27 pm »

Yep, Bioware never really does true evil... No plotting to take over the world or any sort of long term evil-genius style planning. Just "Good," "I WANTS ALL YOUR MONEY," or "15 year old douche who randomly pulls down people's pants and laughs at them"

Although my least favorite were the interactions with AI in Mass Effect 2... For those you were given a choice of "I HATE AI's AND SO YOU MUST DIE!!!" and "I HATE AI's, BUT WILL ONLY THREATEN TO KILL YOU OCCASIONALLY BECAUSE I'M TOLERANT." There was pretty much no "Hellz yeah, sentient AI! Now how can I hook my brain into one of these?" option. Which made me disapoint.
Spoiler: ME storyline spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:14:52 pm by alway »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41479 on: March 05, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »

@ Cthulhu.
That's not evil. That's just Immoral-Lazy as alignment. The third might be a mercy kill.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41480 on: March 05, 2011, 03:16:51 pm »

Whoa.
So much sleep.
My mind feels clear again.

Anyway, I can play Oblivion and New Vegas with no lag, but Morrowind gets a little lag sometimes.
Also, you guys convinced me to play Dragon Age.
Diggin' the combat system.
It's like they actually tried to make one for party-based role-playing games instead of sticking with the generic first person shooter with swords archetype.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41481 on: March 05, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »

@ Cthulhu.
That's not evil. That's just Immoral-Lazy as alignment. The third might be a mercy kill.

And doing immoral things because you're too lazy to do the right thing isn't evil?

I think you guys are expecting a bit much of them
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41482 on: March 05, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »

Well i guess you still have to be the hero in the end and save the freaking world/universe so going completley evil while sounding cool would somewhat screw up the story (unless it was done right, so you kind of become worse than the threat to the world/universe or whatever).Right now you can only really choose to either be a knight in shining armor or an asshole who is helping because he has nothing else to do
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41483 on: March 05, 2011, 03:26:34 pm »

Nooo, letting the elves' kingdom get wiped off the map by the random force of darkness because you can't be bothered to cancel the hunting tournament is Immoral-Lazy, which is not technically evil. It's a bad result, yes, but with no particular ill-intent to the elves, and born of inaction.

Letting the elves become an endangered species so you can then chain the spirits of their restless dead into a completely loyal deathless army, overthrow the random force of darkness' leader and rule over everything in sight is evil. This needs direct, deliberate action, and counts as evil.

Letting the elves die because one of them ripped you off at a card game is inaction born of ill intent, and counts as dickery.

(unless it was done right, so you kind of become worse than the threat to the world/universe or whatever).
Kudos. This is what game writers are missing out on. It was played with a bit in Overlord, but even it had massive slip-ups and couldn't pull it off right.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:29:53 pm by Something Evil »
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41484 on: March 05, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »

Speaking of Bioware's morality system...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/7/23/

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41485 on: March 05, 2011, 03:31:44 pm »

Like I said, that's asking a lot of them.

You can't expect them to make that kind of thing because that's a very large amount of content that chances are less than half of the players will see.  If that's what you're looking for find one of those highly player-driven MUDs.  In a game like this the best you can expect evil-wise is amoral jackass who's fighting the bad guy because he doesn't have a choice.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41486 on: March 05, 2011, 03:32:43 pm »

Overlord (especially the second one) while an interesting take on the genre was a rather big letdown as far as morality is concerned, none of the things you do really seem evil when compared to the shit the emipre/heroes do, you seem more like a mischevous child that is having it's fun, or a rebellious teen that is trying to be cool by being dark and gritty
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41487 on: March 05, 2011, 03:35:28 pm »

Well, you ARE a mischievious little kid in Overlord 2, at least in the intro.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41488 on: March 05, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »

rebellious teen that is trying to be cool by being dark and gritty

Full on. The actual "Nice" choices in Overlord I seemed more evil. Let the fools think well of their new lord. Let them rest easily. Let them lie foolishly in ignorance and complacency, with no defenses, no weapons and no thought of the need to fight back.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41489 on: March 05, 2011, 03:41:03 pm »

Maybe there's some detritus left in your oblivion folder from a previous installation that's causing issues.  I've had that before.

Naw I deleted all those, there might be some chunk of it left somewhere else though... But not knowing where can't fix it *shrugs*. Hopefully I'll be getting a new computer within a year. Speaking of which I should probably start looking at scholarships to fund something like that...
Pages: 1 ... 2764 2765 [2766] 2767 2768 ... 13325