Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2656 2657 [2658] 2659 2660 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15789285 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Pick flowers or die~♥
« Reply #39855 on: February 19, 2011, 02:10:02 am »

Hmm... I've started Don Quixote and finally got a copy of the Odyssey.  Waiting until I can buy a verse translation of the Iliad used.  Read the Robot series in elementary school, and a little Dragonlance in middle school... no more TSR-funded stuff for me, thanks =/  Especially after having suffered through the Drizzt stuff.

I should probably read Dune, and I thank you for the history recommendation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #39856 on: February 19, 2011, 02:10:48 am »

It's by far the most readable history-of-the-planet-earth-up-to-the-1960's I've ever seen, and most of its information is accurate.

Sort of in the vein of Wells The Outline of History?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39857 on: February 19, 2011, 02:11:59 am »

Haha, Drizzt.

I still have bad dreams from that shit...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39858 on: February 19, 2011, 02:13:22 am »

Dune is interesting, but for the original series you really have to be somewhat interested in politics to get through God-Emperor of Dune and afterwards,otherwise it gets boring.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39859 on: February 19, 2011, 02:27:22 am »

My RTD is going pretty well. Players made their first turn and everybody is already 55-80/100 on the sanity meter.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39860 on: February 19, 2011, 02:37:02 am »

Sort of in the vein of Wells The Outline of History?
Sort of. It's definitely still a history book, but it follows an odd narrative form that's impossible to describe. It suppose it helps that I'm interested in the contents, but it actually held my attention for all 845 pages.

TSR isn't actually a company anymore, so maybe you'd enjoy their more recent ones. I only ever read the Dwarven Nations, Legends, Chronicles, and Defenders of magic series. Of these, my favorites were the Defenders of Magic and Chronicles. Defenders of Magic was started a couple years after TSR went kaput, and I actually found the books to be very well written and the characters were neat, but I suppose that that'd be your opinion.
The Chronicles series didn't actually interest me very much, but a couple of the characters piqued my interest. The twins, Caramon and Raistlin, were of particular interest to me because I also have a twin brother, and saw many parallels. Him and I aren't quite so different, but I thought the authors did a fairly good job of developing the characters as opposite-but-similar-in-many-ways twins. Them alone wouldn't have kept me reading the books, though. The real reason I kept reading this trilogy is because of Sturm. His character spoke to me very profoundly, the idea of a man putting honor, love, and loyalty above all. Even when faced with incredible adversity, he always stuck to his beliefs and never let anything get in his way. He even put his principles above the laws of his order, which is something I could respect. This is probably the reason I liked Don Quixote too, but Sturm wasn't batshit insane, so that helped. Unlike Drizzt Do'Urden, he had quite a few character flaws, but he worked at being a better person constantly. As silly as it sounds, Sturm Brightblade is one of my personal heroes, though he never actually existed. "Est Sularis Oth Mithas" indeed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39861 on: February 19, 2011, 02:38:24 am »

Read Cyrano de Bergerac.

I always break down in a fountain of tears at the end.  I'm not even kidding.  Projective crying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #39862 on: February 19, 2011, 02:51:25 am »

Sort of. It's definitely still a history book, but it follows an odd narrative form that's impossible to describe. It suppose it helps that I'm interested in the contents, but it actually held my attention for all 845 pages.

Sounds cool. I'll check it out.

I always break down in a fountain of tears at the end.  I'm not even kidding.  Projective crying.

Wow. That scene. ;_;

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39863 on: February 19, 2011, 02:59:22 am »

I know.  "Ma panache..." god, it's so much harder to take in French.  I've read it 2-3 times in English and once in French, and my goodness, I kind of teared up for English, but for the French I just couldn't stop sobbing.

Guh.

Now I almost want to go reread it again.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #39864 on: February 19, 2011, 03:18:05 am »

Ah. All the things I'll read in French. But not yet.

I must just be a crybaby, haha.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39865 on: February 19, 2011, 03:25:18 am »

Ah. All the things I'll read in French. But not yet.

I must just be a crybaby, haha.
Believe me, crying a lot is better than not being able to cry.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39866 on: February 19, 2011, 03:29:55 am »

I found a public domain text version provided by the Gutenberg organization, so I'll be reading that now. Sure sounds interesting from what I've heard. Something about a young French duelist with a large nose.

I do not often cry when reading a book or watching a movie, but we'll see how this goes. The only times I have were...

1. When Sturm died in the Dragonlance books, though it was a suitably heroic death.
2. The very introduction to the movie Up. What kind of cruel bastard writes a movie that involves a man growing from young to old without fulfilling any of his dreams in the first five minutes?
3. When Frodo leaves Middle Earth behind at the end of the Return of the King
4. Several points during All Quiet On The Western Front. If I didn't have to finish it for an assignment, I'd have stopped reading halfway through, something I never do.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39867 on: February 19, 2011, 03:38:29 am »

I've teared up a few times.  Always when it's something very deep to me personally.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39868 on: February 19, 2011, 03:49:01 am »

It's pretty easy to make me tear up and feel emotional.  I'd say it's reasonably difficult to make me cry, though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39869 on: February 19, 2011, 04:09:24 am »

I haven't fully cried in a long long time...ellipses...
Pages: 1 ... 2656 2657 [2658] 2659 2660 ... 13325