Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2578 2579 [2580] 2581 2582 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15837222 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. My name is Hong Meiling, not china
« Reply #38685 on: February 08, 2011, 01:35:47 pm »

Thanks for the book rec!  I'll be sure to look at it soon.

Also, congratulations to everyone enjoying greater success in academics.  It gives me great pleasure to see everyone so happy :D

In other news, I now have an ally in my rhetoric course.  Let's get this shindig roadwards.  It's time to stop backpedaling and get back to ass-kicking.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. My name is Hong Meiling, not china
« Reply #38686 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:45 pm »

There hasn't been a really bad hurricane in a while for Florida.
That just means you are overdue.  :P
Hey, we need some time to heal over. One time in the past decade, we were slammed by a set of hurricane triplets within 3 weeks of each other. Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. That was fun.
And all three missed Tampa, where I lived. Kekekekeke ;D!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38687 on: February 08, 2011, 01:44:05 pm »

I'll just leave this here.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38688 on: February 08, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »

There a 25 degree difference in the temperature of our country from one end to the other.
And we're not a big country at all.

This Monday it was warm enough for short sleeves, while the sun still shone.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38689 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »

mmm..... antelope tasty when grilled and seasoned and consumed with rice.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38690 on: February 08, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »

three days ago, I was wearing a sweater and feeling a bit chilly.

today, I wear a light short sleeve shirt and am feeling hot.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38691 on: February 08, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »

The weather down here is likely to be as tempermental as [Insert Deity Here]s attempt to wipe queensland off the map.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38692 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:10 pm »

three days ago, I was wearing a sweater and feeling a bit chilly.

today, I wear a light short sleeve shirt and am feeling hot.

actually, correction to that, I'm always hawt as all hell.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38693 on: February 08, 2011, 02:13:06 pm »

Mhm, racuchy with apple bits.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38694 on: February 08, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »

For Vector: The book in the WW1 course I took was simply named The First World War, John Keegan being the author. Actually, pretty much anything by Keegan tends to be pretty good in my experience. A History of Warfare is a great read for a broader history.
After reading what little of the book is available on the net( http://homepage.eircom.net/~odyssey/Quotes/History/Keegan.html ), I must say that I don't like it.
It seems to be a good read, very empassionate and tear-jerking, but also biased and opinionated. While it's not fair to judge the content by the short excerpts, I do get a feeling from the more general statements, that it treats the Eastern Front as a secondary subject matter, and barely notices Austro-Hungary and Italy, presenting the war as if it were Germany vs the world.

Might be good to get one interested in the subject, but not a very good history book.
That said, I've got nothing else to recommend instead, so yeah.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38695 on: February 08, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »

If you haven't read it yet, 'All Quiet on the Western front' is a pretty good book that shows the German soldiers' perspective.
In other news, I now have an ally in my rhetoric course.  Let's get this shindig roadwards.  It's time to stop backpedaling and get back to ass-kicking.
Academic asskicking is glorious indeed. I just spent the last two hours working on a Japanese test, which was pretty easy until the vocabulary. I forgot the words for 'library', 'famous', and 'bathroom'. Due to the wording of the test, I didn't need to put down the word so much as communicate the meaning. Thus 'library' became 'the home of numerous books'. 'restroom' became 'The room wherein either brown or yellow moves downwards into water'. Under the stipulation that I figure out those words and show that I know them by the end of the week, I got an A for 'creAtivity', as they call it.

I only had to stare at the page for twenty minutes, write four haikus, babble to myself, and recite the blow-by-blow description of the duel between Ajax and Hector before I got the right words.

In other news, I'm going on a field trip! Next month I'm going to visit the University of Washington plus a couple other colleges over there to see what they're like. The next trip will likely be to visit several of the colleges in California that have written to me. UCLA, Berkeley, Harvey Mudd, and Claremont McKenna in particular. Crazy adventures abound!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38696 on: February 08, 2011, 02:54:27 pm »

Okay, starting Touhou for the first time... Easy... Oh this isnt-- OH GOD WHAT JEGUS WHAT THE HELL HOW DO I NAVIGATE THOUGH THE TINY GAPS OH GOOOOOD. Oh, its over?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38697 on: February 08, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »

Funny, that sounds like my first time.

Never played Touhou though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38698 on: February 08, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

I like the fact everybody goes hopy and jegus now.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38699 on: February 08, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »

First I heard of the game was going through "That One Boss" in Tropes (in search of a challenge), and watched the Flandre Scarlet battle on extra/lunatic. I assumed that would be normal. Fortunately, I'm a veteran pilot of 1942 on the arcade and on C64.
Pages: 1 ... 2578 2579 [2580] 2581 2582 ... 13326