Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2463 2464 [2465] 2466 2467 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15807409 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Auuu~!
« Reply #36960 on: January 26, 2011, 06:56:24 am »

... It was obtuse?

Fuck my all-nighter, seriously.  Auuuugh.  Done with Russian HW for the next three days (except extra credit), so now I have 4 hours to finish the math homework that's due today.

I guess I'm making a lot of progress, but I won't be able to sleep until 3 PM today.  What a great way to spend my 21st birthday--studying, working ahead on homework, and then passing out in the middle of the afternoon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36962 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:11 am »

Better than going out, getting bladdered and passing out in a ditch at 3am covered in vomit.
*Hugs*

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36963 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:48 am »

... Why?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #36964 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:42 am »

I'll say this now, when getting smashed off your face in another country, don't go for a walkon your own.

I'm lucky my friends found me passed out in a street in hamburg...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36965 on: January 26, 2011, 07:08:17 am »

Better than going out, getting bladdered and passing out in a ditch at 3am covered in vomit.

True.

... Why?

Assuming this is addressed at me: because all my time off seems to have screwed with my planning abilities, so I'm still getting used to being back in school and the stricter schedule required.

Fortunately, I seem to be remembering that whole "willpower-in-a-box" thing pretty well now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36966 on: January 26, 2011, 07:11:52 am »

Um, no, sorry...

... Why?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36967 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:20 am »

Because when one passes out in a ditch, one is rather helpless to unwanted advances, I've woken up somewhere different to where I've passed out many's a time.
*Hugs*

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36968 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:44 am »

Ahhh... Must be the culture differences. Could also be the gender differences.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36969 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:12 am »

I think to appreciate LotR, you have to understand what Tolkien's goals were.  He wasn't trying so much to write a purely entertaining story as he was trying to create an entire mythology from scratch.  It's really slow paced because he was trying to flesh out a world.  He actually designed it so that others could build on it after him.  Notice that he gives lots of information about a vast range of various subjects within Middle-Earth, but he only gets into details about very specific things.  Everything else is designed to spark your imagination.  Also keep in mind that he was asked to write LotR after the success of The Hobbit.  He spent decades dreaming up The Silmarillion and The Hobbit, and then writes LotR as an afterthought due to high demand.  Look at how events which take place before and after LotR are tightly woven together, yet the events and characters specific to the LotR books are hardly mentioned at all in The Silmarillion.

I still love LotR to death, though.  I especially think it demonstrates a very insightful stance on the nature of good & evil that I've never seen in another work -- that good doesn't triumph over evil.  Good only perseveres until evil destroys itself.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36970 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:55 am »

I thought the Silmarillion was written after LotR

Edit: Also, Raymond E. Feist did that, and Magician was a Masterpiece.
(Although, admittedly, a lot of the culture was... borrowed.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36971 on: January 26, 2011, 07:43:29 am »

I thought the Silmarillion was written after LotR

It was published after LotR, but the core stories of The Silmarillion are the first ones he began dreaming up while in the trenches of WW1.  I think The Fall of Gondolin, The Children of Hurin, and Beren and Luthien were the first stories he wrote relating to the world of Arda.  The Silmarillion was published after his death because he never stopped working on it, and his son had to scrap together 50+ years of scattered notes to finally make a book of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion#Concept_and_creation
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:47:37 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36972 on: January 26, 2011, 08:05:47 am »

So apparently you need to be rude, before you can be nice to people.

After telling a bunch of people at work, which had been bitching about me, that they're assholes (of course in a very sarcastic way), everyone is being nice and dandy to me.
Looks like other people are still baffling me.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36973 on: January 26, 2011, 08:34:37 am »

What a bloody battle, heh.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36974 on: January 26, 2011, 08:43:50 am »

-image-
What a bloody battle, heh.
3:2 ratio and they suffered double losses, Heil the füher, beating the yanks, french and iraqis-wait, what iraq DEFENDING the US.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 2463 2464 [2465] 2466 2467 ... 13326