Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2428 2429 [2430] 2431 2432 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15768146 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Auuu~!
« Reply #36435 on: January 21, 2011, 08:40:42 pm »

Linear games are good, yes. theres just too many of them right now and making it hard to actually find good ones.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #36436 on: January 21, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

Linear games are good, yes. theres just too many of them right now and making it hard to actually find good ones.
This is true of damn near all games.

There are also too many:
Really badly done sandboxes.
Cheap knockoffs of Popcap games.
Crap tycoon-style games.
Online shooters.
MMORPGS.
etc etc.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36437 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »

Linearity at least means you're aiming at something.  Open world with a fairly linear heart is my preferred kind.  Apart from anything else, lack of a straight plot can really hurt the story.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36438 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:23 pm »

This forum seems to have somehow gotten the false impression that linearity is a bad thing.  In fact, from how poorly most developers execute non-linearity, I'd say a tightly-reined storyline is the way to go.

I can just imagine how much they despised DooM, and Super Mario Bros, and TIE Fighter, and Command & Conquer, and Final Fantasy Whatever, and so on and so on.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36439 on: January 21, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »

This is true of damn near all games.

There are also too many Online shooters.
Too many shooters in general.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36440 on: January 21, 2011, 09:11:39 pm »

I never understand this "There's too many of some genre, so it's harder to find quality" gripe.  Quality is not some finite resource floating in the ether, being diluted by overuse.  There's plenty of good shooters out there.  I can't name any new ones, because I can't play anything from post-2007 because I don't have the hardware, but I'm sure they're there.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36441 on: January 21, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »

Recently finished a freelance job. Paid decently; same employer hired me for another part of the same project, better pay than the previous job. Of course, a slightly more challenging one.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36442 on: January 21, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »

Quality is not some finite resource floating in the ether, being diluted by overuse.

It may be, relativistically, if the basis of judgment for any work is by comparison to others in its genre.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36443 on: January 21, 2011, 09:27:18 pm »

This forum seems to have somehow gotten the false impression that linearity is a bad thing.

I think its just me.  I can't play linear games. Well I can try but I won't have enough fun to justify the buying and downloading of the game. 

Lets leave it at that unless people wanna start a thread to bitch at me, I know Janet hates when I post about storylines in the happy thread. :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36444 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:26 pm »

I'm watching the Ultramarines movie.

Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36445 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:42 pm »

Everyone knows there is no such thing as density in science fiction.  A man the weight of a car should pound his way through concrete when he runs, but that would just be ridiculous.

Quality is not some finite resource floating in the ether, being diluted by overuse.

It may be, relativistically, if the basis of judgment for any work is by comparison to others in its genre.

Well, that's the thing.  I don't consider Duke Nukem 3D a good game because I think it was better than Quake, I consider it a good game on its own merits.  Every release cycle the same argument comes up, over whether some game or another is good because its better than some other title debuting around the same time.  I don't know why vacuum-judgment is such an alien concept.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36446 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:36 pm »

I never understand this "There's too many of some genre, so it's harder to find quality" gripe.  Quality is not some finite resource floating in the ether, being diluted by overuse.  There's plenty of good shooters out there.  I can't name any new ones, because I can't play anything from post-2007 because I don't have the hardware, but I'm sure they're there.

In fact, the contrary is true. The more of X there is, the more of good X there will be.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36447 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:08 pm »

I like how Prototype got things right when it came to impact.  A normal human who suddenly becomes superhumanly strong is going to crack the pavement when he runs and rip people's arms off high-fiving them for the same reason all pop cans feel empty after you've been lifting heavy objects.
Shoes...

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36448 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:53 pm »

The fight scene between Adrian Sheperd and the knife-wielding Civil Protection Mook in Beyond Black Mesa.

Sheperd apparently learned some new tricks from the G-Man? during his time in Xen Space
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36449 on: January 21, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »

Points for Ultimaroons the Movie:  It does a great job of accurately portraying the Ultramarines as a bunch of egotistical gloryhogging douchebutts.

EDIT:  Bolter casings.  Must suppress nerdrage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:01:21 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 2428 2429 [2430] 2431 2432 ... 13325