Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15844830 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Ka-MEW~!
« Reply #30030 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53:59 pm »

Halfway through a recent airplane flight from Warsaw to New York, there was nearly a major disaster when the flight crew got sick from eating the fish. After they had passed out, one of the flight attendants asked over the intercom if there were any pilots in the cabin.

An elderly gentleman, who had flown a bit in the war, raised his hand and was rushed into the cockpit of the 747. When he got there, took the seat, and saw all the displays and controls, he realized he was in over his head. He told the flight attendant that he didn't think he could fly this plane. When asked why not, he replied,

"I am just a simple Pole in a complex plane"

So, they just had to rely on the method of steepest descents.

Took a moment to translate it into the language I've been taught math in, but raised a smile.
Isn't one of those jokes, which make you laugh out loud, though.
Too bad it only works in english. I could have used that one.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30031 on: December 02, 2010, 05:54:49 pm »

KAERNWARIOR HASS THE STEEM PROGILE NOW.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30032 on: December 02, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »

Any specifics on how you managed to make this happen?

I asked myself: what color is that person? and sort of let all rationality fade away.  If I completely didn't know, then I kept thinking about everything I knew about them; and if I didn't know about that, then I'd make more observations.  I asked myself "What do I think a lavender voice sounds like?" and very carefully monitored my internal world.  If I had a feeling I couldn't attach to something like raw emotion, or a feeling that reminded me of a different time and place, I nurtured that connection.  In the end, I had the feeling that I was walking free of time.  I'd walk through one place or another, and think very carefully about how I felt, and about other memories that felt the same--so that sometimes I'd lose track of the year or even the season, walking through a cloud of associations.  I'd be twenty and clearly remember similar situations from eleven years ago, or more.  It drove people around me nuts, because sometimes I'd feel the same sadness I felt in elementary school as a college student, just because of the way the wind blew.

I just thought about it, I guess.  I know one guy who reminds me of hazelnuts and another one who makes me think of autumn evenings, walking past cold gritty stone walls.  Magnolias will always make me think of friendship, and Baby's Breath of disappointment.

It's just the same as any other association, just looser and more relaxed.  If someone reminds you of an angel, then it's almost the same thing.  They have angelic qualities.  Well, my friends have tree-qualities, nut-qualities, or autumnal-qualities.

One of my favorite experiments is thinking of people as pieces of music.  Not pre-existing ones.  Sometimes, when I do that, it helps me figure out something that's bothering the person in question, because their music seems imbalanced or disorderly.

*shrug*

It's kind of weird, I guess.

As far as Esperanto, Interlingua, and Afrikaans, I'm afraid I don't know enough about any of those to say anything--but from what I know of Esperanto, it has a lot of the same qualities as Mexican Spanish, but seems kind of metallic in nature.  It's not multi-dimensional.

Conlangs have always seemed a bit flat.

Bah, and suddenly I want to look up math jokes in other languages.  Thanks for the idea!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30033 on: December 02, 2010, 05:56:00 pm »

Halfway through a recent airplane flight from Warsaw to New York, there was nearly a major disaster when the flight crew got sick from eating the fish. After they had passed out, one of the flight attendants asked over the intercom if there were any pilots in the cabin.

An elderly gentleman, who had flown a bit in the war, raised his hand and was rushed into the cockpit of the 747. When he got there, took the seat, and saw all the displays and controls, he realized he was in over his head. He told the flight attendant that he didn't think he could fly this plane. When asked why not, he replied,

"I am just a simple Pole in a complex plane"

So, they just had to rely on the method of steepest descents.

Took a moment to translate it into the language I've been taught math in, but raised a smile.
Isn't one of those jokes, which make you laugh out loud, though.

I'm guessing 1d object in a 2d or 3d world?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30034 on: December 02, 2010, 05:57:36 pm »

No, a simple pole is any point where a function over the complex plane is undefined.  Usually, it blows up into infinity.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30035 on: December 02, 2010, 05:58:18 pm »

One of my teachers gave me a perfect metaphor for how I feel all the time.

"You know how on a Sunday morning, you wake up at 10 and you decide to watch cartoons for a while, and then you realize that its 1 in the afternoon?"
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30036 on: December 02, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »

I managed to create a basic calcutor in c++, Unfortunately the damned thing won't run outside of Code::Blocks... arg
*Hugs*

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30037 on: December 02, 2010, 06:03:43 pm »

No, a simple pole is any point where a function over the complex plane is undefined.  Usually, it blows up into infinity.
Wow I hate being 15 and not getting maths jokes ;_;
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30038 on: December 02, 2010, 06:05:43 pm »

Oh God me and Ochitas posts just got deleted from the Myth thread.

I'm scared.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30039 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »

Oh God me and Ochitas posts just got deleted from the Myth thread.

I'm scared.
So am I. Too much innuendo. Too much goddamn innuendo.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30040 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »

Your posts are now DIAMONDS unposts.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #30041 on: December 02, 2010, 06:13:43 pm »

Unreal4Ever Gauntlet in DM-Pyramid. beaten in roughly over an hour on hardcore masterful difficulty. Holy crap!

And just for the hell of it, I tried it in DM-Tutorial, and by the 500th spawn, the game crashed. That was fun.

EDIT:
After DM-Pyramid, every other level in this mode (any larger) is a cakewalk on any difficulty.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:34:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30042 on: December 02, 2010, 06:21:26 pm »

Wow I hate being 15 and not getting maths jokes ;_;
That just means you need more maths :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30043 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:42 pm »

So... I now have an Xbox 360, a roll up piano, stuff for driving lessons, memories from a nice day with friends and a stomachfull of sushi.

It's been a good birthday.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #30044 on: December 02, 2010, 06:30:27 pm »

After staring at this coding assignment, which is due in... 3 hours... and sketching out abstractions of it for the last... 2 hours... it finally makes sense.

Now to throw it together in 3 hours. and not get distracted by bay12 at all during this time.

I do not have much hope of the second part.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 ... 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 ... 13326