Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1922 1923 [1924] 1925 1926 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15845344 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Ka-MEW~!
« Reply #28845 on: November 24, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »

I heard about it on the infinity:tqfe forums, where they were running a succession game.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28846 on: November 24, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

For me, it was a mentioned by a friend around December 2008. She's generally up on Indie Games and such, and wanted to try a small-scale succession game... I sorta flailed at it a bit, trying to complete green-glass blocks to build a pyramid suspended over a magma vent for the nobles, but I failed at getting the materials and just burned through the stocks that year. Though I failed pretty hard at doing anything well in that game, the game itself impressed me enough that I kept at it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28847 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:15 pm »

Think I heard about it from my ex-BF, quite a while before 3D came out.  Good times...

I think he found it on Underdogs.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28848 on: November 24, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »

I think I heard about it... either when I first discovered TVTropes or when the Wyrdysm forums started up a succession game that never made it off the ground
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28849 on: November 24, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

I remember exactly where and when I heard of Dwarf Fortress.  I was hanging around the Penny Arcade forums in late 2007, in the friendly moshpit that was the "Daily News about Smash Bros. Brawl" threads.  I perused around elsewhere, and eventually noticed a thread entitled "Dwarf Fortress: Toady One has created a masterpiece!"  Since this was right after the big 3D release, there was a lot of new buzz and interest in the game.  Intrigued, I did a little Googling, found the wiki and the Boatmurdered LP, read the thread's stories about caged children and giant spiders, and I knew I was hooked before I knew I was hooked.

Six months later, I joined the little forum here to erroneously make a "bug report" about bags that was just my own inattention.  And the rest is history.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28850 on: November 24, 2010, 04:09:24 pm »

I heard of DF from Tvtropes, the Good Bad Bugs page to be exact.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28851 on: November 24, 2010, 04:20:28 pm »

I heard of DF from Tvtropes, the Good Bad Bugs page to be exact.

I also heard about it from TvTropes. Forget which page lead me to it.

In non-DF related stuff, I'm happy because some family from out of state are visiting! Haven't seen these guys in two years, so I'm really happy that I can spend some time with them.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28852 on: November 24, 2010, 04:26:34 pm »

I used to be a SA Goon (more the type to hang around Let's Play or kinda the reason I got an account there in the first place (freaking ads; plus, I wanted to track some of the LPs), and generally try to stay out of GB or any other section), but I recall seeing a bunch of succession games going about DF at the time. I think I was around when Boatmurdered was going on; but I, like with many great works of art, underestimated DF, and was more interested in other LPs being made (like Sim City 3000, Princess maker 2, UFO: Enemy Unknown (prequel to Apocalypse), and 50 Mission Crush).

Nowadays, I wish I paid attention more to the Boatmurdered threads while they were new. I recall RPG.Net's motivator threads making tons of references to DF and Boatmurdered as well. It took until some screenshots in those motivators (with help of a tileset, probably Mayday's) to finally grasp my attention to it. I then decided to take on the challenge of playing the game. It wasn't until I worked on and finished the Bloodfist that I finally gathered an appreciation for the game. TvTropes sealed the deal more with many of the moments listed and craziness mentioned throughout. These forums also helped a good deal too. But I think looking at the megaprojects got me into really wanting to learn the game.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28853 on: November 24, 2010, 04:26:34 pm »

I was new to the freeware scene, so I was looking for free MMO's when I stumbled upon a list somewhere on a smalltime blog about Dwarf Fortress with an image of the 2D days. At first I ignored it because it was ASCII and every roguelikelike that I played before then was stuff like Nethack, and it was sort of crappy. So I ignored it thinking it would be another game where you are required to read a guide to beat it. After a few months I started to get really interested in RTS games, so I looked into it and got hooked.

And I just got back from seeing Tangled with my little sister. The best way to describe it is like How to Raise Your Dragon. It's not gonna be a classic for years to come, but it was a good movie to watch. The terrible jokes in the trailers were followed up by decent jokes in the movie, so it worked out. The 3D was a bit distracting though. They never did any jump out at the screen bits, but the 3D effects were a bit too sharp, and stuck out a bit much. It got a little better later, but I would probably enjoy this just as well in 2D. And the songs were kinda bad, but the music was alright. First song : I'm bored. Second song: I'm an overbearing mother. Third song: This is a cheap joke. Weugh.

So yeah, not a bad movie. Plenty of material to crack jokes at with my sister.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #28854 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34:31 pm »

My sister told me about it. I never quite liked the game as much as she did but I still found it fun up until my slump. And right now I'm kinda too burnt to do more of my mod so I've just been playing Ascii Sector. Which is another game I heard about from Milly. (But only played it after Workerdrone told me more about it. It had updated a lot between Milly and him.)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28855 on: November 24, 2010, 04:38:58 pm »

I saw it from my brother from the age of 10. He didn't really support me but I tried to do it. It was actually very easy. Now I dont really bother with it, I just go on these forums.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28856 on: November 24, 2010, 04:40:15 pm »

I heard about Dwarf Fortress from a friend of Yumi, But didn't get hooked 'til I discovered all you lovely peoples.
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28857 on: November 24, 2010, 04:42:31 pm »

My ex wanted to discuss DF at all times when I met him.  He tried to get me into the forums a couple of times, but it didn't stick until I signed up for the first beginner's mafia.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28858 on: November 24, 2010, 04:42:56 pm »

I was on a WikiWalk that ended up involving freeware and indie games back in 2008, and came across DF's article. I mostly dismissed it untill noticing somthing oddly named in the LP Archive. That was Boatmurdered, which lead me to Youtube playthroughs. I didn't actually download it untill the late stages of 40d, and didn't decide to join the forums untill a week or so before .31 came out. As it would have it, I actually joined to converse about Liberal Crime Squad instead of Dwarf Fortress, but all that changed once I saw a thread in the new posts menu about murderous SWAT officers. I'm a little suprised that I didn't notice GD before then...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:44:32 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28859 on: November 24, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »

I don't remember where I heard about it, and it turned out the place I thought I'd heard of it actually wasn't the place.  I had gotten it mixed up with Betrayal at Krondor.

Put simply, I have no idea where I heard about DF.  I just drifted into the forums from the aether.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 1922 1923 [1924] 1925 1926 ... 13326