Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1635 1636 [1637] 1638 1639 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15780285 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #24540 on: October 18, 2010, 08:42:19 pm »

A death ray for $350?! Where's my credit card!

No, seriously, where the f#@k is my credit card? Lost it somewhere and I can't find it...

(Just kidding, I don't have one)

Lasers don't dissipate over time, but refraction from that atmosphere will probably limit its range, probably make it impossible(with current and near-future technology) for OTS bombardment. A bullet or metal slug, going fast enough(such as during re-entry) could melt, then dissipate. Go with an ion cannon instead.

@Ninja'd by MetalSlimeHunt: No, a laser would probably melt its way through the metal backing of the mirror. Even if it did reflect it, the change in surface caused by the massive heat would just reflect the photons all over the place, not back at the laser weapon itself.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24541 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:07 pm »

Lasers don't dissipate over time
Actually, they do. A PERFECT laser wouldn't, but we can't make that. Note that a perfect laser would also be totally invisible, and therefore boring.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #24542 on: October 18, 2010, 08:48:26 pm »

A bullet or metal slug, going fast enough(such as during re-entry) could melt, then dissipate. Go with an ion cannon instead.
Couldn't you just coat the bullet in ceramic or something? Like I said before. Who needs penetration at those speeds?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24543 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

Well, at the speed of light, by the time it dissipates, it'll be too far away to even matter, assuming its being used outside the atmosphere.

A bullet or metal slug, going fast enough(such as during re-entry) could melt, then dissipate. Go with an ion cannon instead.
Couldn't you just coat the bullet in ceramic or something? Like I said before. Who needs penetration at those speeds?
Assuming air friction doesn't shatter it mid-air? Otherwise, you may well have a basic AP round as-is.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24544 on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:38 pm »

Well, at the speed of light, by the time it dissipates, it'll be too far away to even matter, assuming its being used outside the atmosphere.
The dissipation he referred to would be caused by atmospheric interference, and would increase as distance traveled increases, not as time passes. So even though it only takes a millisecond, it would still be diffused and dissipated by the atmosphere and stuff to the point where it wouldn't do any real damage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24545 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:19 pm »

On the topic of the Archimedes Death Ray, it's possible that they're only redoing it because the government will rent out a laser to them to allow them to 'replicate the results'.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24546 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »

Archimedes Death Ray Laser? That would be more interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #24547 on: October 18, 2010, 09:43:22 pm »

Interesting, yes, but redundant. Why would you reflect lasers when you can just shine them at the specific point anyway?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24548 on: October 18, 2010, 09:44:39 pm »

Interesting, yes, but redundant. Why would you reflect lasers when you can just shine them at the specific point anyway?

Maybe you need to shoot around a corner?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24549 on: October 18, 2010, 09:49:56 pm »

"Well, —— me," he said. "A ——ing wizard. I hate ——ing wizards!"
"You shouldn't —— them, then," muttered one of his henchmen, effortlessly pronouncing a row of dashes."

Terry Pratchett is hilarious.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24550 on: October 18, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »

This is the largest thread on the Bay12 forum, and I helped a little. This makes me happy.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24551 on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:58 pm »

My daughter is enjoying the Teen Titans DVD that my wife bought for her. Very appropriate, given her name.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24552 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »

Terra or something?

Probably gonna do the Sonic livestream Friday night so everyone is free (hopefully).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:04:43 pm by ToonyMan »

Elegy

• Bay Watcher
  • sw33ter than sugar :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #24553 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »

You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24554 on: October 18, 2010, 11:14:21 pm »

Just messed around with my Gmod server a bit, I now have an E2 function that makes things explode.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: 1 ... 1635 1636 [1637] 1638 1639 ... 13325