Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13298 13299 [13300] 13301 13302 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15910490 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #199485 on: January 11, 2024, 05:25:53 pm »

That’s pretty much how I felt about stats when I was at uni too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199486 on: January 12, 2024, 02:13:27 am »

I was born today.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #199487 on: January 12, 2024, 03:27:56 am »

Oh I'm well aware of naval cooperation with civilians and hiring contractors (they have to shuttle the contractors off the carriers when the fleet engages in any "combat" action, even if no actual shooting takes place), but picking up hitchhikers from a nominally neutral port because they're in legal trouble, purely out of charitable goodwill, would not go well in today's military. They're harboring fugitives, at that point, and interfering in another nations' "justice" system, and just begging for a diplomatic incident that ends with the captain at least getting shafted, mission success or not.
They have a plan. ;)

I was born today.
Happy birthday!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #199489 on: January 12, 2024, 04:58:49 am »

Oh I'm well aware of naval cooperation with civilians and hiring contractors (they have to shuttle the contractors off the carriers when the fleet engages in any "combat" action, even if no actual shooting takes place), but picking up hitchhikers from a nominally neutral port because they're in legal trouble, purely out of charitable goodwill, would not go well in today's military. They're harboring fugitives, at that point, and interfering in another nations' "justice" system, and just begging for a diplomatic incident that ends with the captain at least getting shafted, mission success or not.
Royal navy 200 years ago would 1000% do that. They were infamous for interfering with other nations justice systems, even allied ones, causing diplomatic incidents, ignoring the government in Westminster and acting however their personal morality saw fit. Because it could take weeks for the government to even find out what you had done, and then weeks still to send your orders lololololol

There are two kinds of militaries. Ones where "what is not explicitly forbidden is permitted," and one where "what is not explicitly permitted is forbidden." And even within a military, the culture an officer cultivates may widely shape the attitudes of one regiment or ship compared to another. Extraterritoriality as a concept was largely developed due to European naval powers interfering with the sovereignty of local powers to protect their citizens, or the citizens of other European/American polities, from prosecution in arbitrary courts with punishments like "throw in snake pit" or "death by a thousand slices." So I am always generous with these kinds of things, because just because something is one way with one organisation today, does not mean it would always be that way in any time, any setting with any peoples

I was born today.
Merry birthday!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199490 on: January 12, 2024, 05:40:26 am »

Less than a day old and already posting on the forums? Man, kids get more precocious by the year.

(Happy birthday)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #199491 on: January 12, 2024, 08:14:13 am »

I was born today.

Don't tell me you've gone Born-again Christian...

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199493 on: January 12, 2024, 09:27:49 am »

Royal navy 200 years ago would 1000% do that. They were infamous for interfering with other nations justice systems, even allied ones, causing diplomatic incidents, ignoring the government in Westminster and acting however their personal morality saw fit. Because it could take weeks for the government to even find out what you had done, and then weeks still to send your orders lololololol

There are two kinds of militaries. Ones where "what is not explicitly forbidden is permitted," and one where "what is not explicitly permitted is forbidden." And even within a military, the culture an officer cultivates may widely shape the attitudes of one regiment or ship compared to another. Extraterritoriality as a concept was largely developed due to European naval powers interfering with the sovereignty of local powers to protect their citizens, or the citizens of other European/American polities, from prosecution in arbitrary courts with punishments like "throw in snake pit" or "death by a thousand slices." So I am always generous with these kinds of things, because just because something is one way with one organisation today, does not mean it would always be that way in any time, any setting with any peoples
Also this.

The Alliance hates the Abyssals and their Sphere. A rival, like the Hegemony. There's not much that Yectkogg could really do? What are they going to do even if there is a diplomatic accident? They're already under sanctions, as Yeremey (that ragged Canid trader) said.

It'd be different if, I dunno, they harbored political/religious fugitives from the Chohjozra Nrukhrizchaa, an Alliance tin-pot "democracy". But instead it's Yectkogg, a lapdog of one of Terra's greatest rivals.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199494 on: January 12, 2024, 11:52:07 am »

Happy birthday monarch²!
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #199495 on: January 12, 2024, 12:18:07 pm »

Also this.

The Alliance hates the Abyssals and their Sphere. A rival, like the Hegemony. There's not much that Yectkogg could really do? What are they going to do even if there is a diplomatic accident? They're already under sanctions, as Yeremey (that ragged Canid trader) said.

It'd be different if, I dunno, they harbored political/religious fugitives from the Chohjozra Nrukhrizchaa, an Alliance tin-pot "democracy". But instead it's Yectkogg, a lapdog of one of Terra's greatest rivals.
If anyone ever tells you "no navy would ever do anything outside of protocol" I'm reminded of the ROC Chung Yung accidentally spotting the PLAN's attempt to launch a massive naval invasion of Taiwan, sinking numerous transport ships and becoming the hero of the battle. The only reason it was in that area was because the Captain was ignoring orders from command to use the ROC Chung Yung to smuggle brown suger and peanut oil as a side hustle

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199496 on: January 12, 2024, 12:40:59 pm »

Got around to replacing my laptop, so now I should be able to play all my games properly again, and join in some of my MMO guild's events without my laptop shutting off during every fight that involves lots of flashy visuals. Hooray for remote social interaction!
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #199497 on: January 12, 2024, 06:55:08 pm »

The whole reason the events stand out to me as odd is because it's not the military culture I've been taught to expect I guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199498 on: January 13, 2024, 05:29:53 am »

Thanks everybody!

I was born today.

Don't tell me you've gone Born-again Christian...
I think I'd catch fire before I got near the church to try.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199499 on: January 13, 2024, 06:06:11 am »

Thanks all!

The twenty-first chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! This is a chonky one. Elektra finally gets to do her job. The unlikely passengers they found in Ch.18 get comfortable... ish. And finally the group leaves this accursed station, as the plot threads set up on it get tied back up. Enjoy! The next chapter might be somewhat shorter. We're entering the last legs of the crew's journey.
The twenty-second chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! This is another long chapter. Most importantly, a lot of important worldbuilding happens here! Most of the nations described here will be very important to future books and the later chapters of this book. But there are also some insights into what relmai culture is like, for those who (as recommended) are starting with this book.

A starmap has been added to the post-chapter author's note. Will be updated each chapter. I'm posting it here, for those who aren't following along with the book (no spoilers in it, tbh).

Pages: 1 ... 13298 13299 [13300] 13301 13302 ... 13327