Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13288 13289 [13290] 13291 13292 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15908649 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #199335 on: November 19, 2023, 07:09:17 pm »

Some people simply never drink, right?  It's literally hard to imagine that.  They don't have to win that battle every day, even an easy one, they don't have to fight it at all.
That sounds nice.  I think I'll see if this continues to get easier~
Like... it sorta' is, but it's fairly common that's built from a foundation of something less than great, for what it's worth. The reason I don't touch the stuff and almost certainly would commit suicide before getting drunk is because alcohol addiction basically destroyed the lives of the majority of my male family members (and caused a great deal of suffering for most of whatever partners they had, too) on both sides of the family tree. None of them avoided a period of alcoholism at a minimum, not one, not as far back as I'm aware.

It's easier to avoid that first drink when you're looking back at several generations of varying degrees of ruin, heh. Easier when you have multiple generations and dozens of examples of people in your heritage that demonstrably could not take that first drink safely.

Any case, it's definitely possible to claw back from that, however difficult it is. Some of my relatives actually managed it, so... you got things, rol. Long as you want 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #199336 on: November 19, 2023, 09:49:02 pm »

NA beer's pretty good these days too, from what I understand- if you're avoiding all drinking, light drinking is just the siren pulling you back. Proud of you for resisting, regardless.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #199337 on: November 20, 2023, 06:20:40 am »

Yea, light drinking is pretty much just 'holding a beer to be social.'

Maybe hold something else  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #199338 on: November 21, 2023, 07:16:53 am »

The eleventh chapter of my hard sci-fi space opera is released! In it, the cliffhanger at the end of Chapter 10 is resolved, and a tense action scene ensues. It's also my longest chapter yet-- I paid attention to the details of the battle.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199339 on: November 21, 2023, 09:50:36 pm »

Four weeks (28 nights) sober.

I plan to drink again sometime, in careful moderation, but I set this target and then I made it.  I told myself I could reach back out to a few people when I did, but I don't feel ready for that just yet.

I'm proud but also disappointed.  All the crazy is still in here, just with more filter.  It's easier to form honest relationships this way, but harder to do creative writing.  A lot harder.
But I am dreaming nearly every night, sometimes a few times.  I've started voice-recording them for convenience and so I can fall back to sleep easier.

I'm glad I have a friend who lets me drop that filter and ramble, or worry.  And of *course* they're another NB.  I guess it's easier to trust people like me, even though I'm a woman and they're... true neutral, heh.

It's just not a good time to start drinking again.  Maybe in a few more weeks, maybe not.  It's not a disaster if I do (my skin is soooo much nicer) but I do feel pretty good every day the number goes up.
I... hm.
I was gonna just post "2x combo".  Maybe add that I've been considering resuming light drinking, now that I've addressed the underlying causes and "won".

But this is kinda reminding me of how hard that first month was.  And how things have continued to improve.  Like, the "crazy" (literally autistic info-dumping) is being shared responsibly.  Relationships are being built on actual foundations.  I'm insisting on basic courtesy instead of feeling worthless and weak.

Some people simply never drink, right?  It's literally hard to imagine that.  They don't have to win that battle every day, even an easy one, they don't have to fight it at all.

(also my skin is so much healthier, especially my face.  And I can post cringe without wondering if it was "really me" or whatever.  I'm free to make mistakes and fully own them)

Oh but there's a local trans social event December 6th, maybe I'll have a beer at that idk.  Excited either way
Hooray, metaphorically slaying the metaphorical beast before it metaphorically, or possibly literally, slays you. Always something to celebrate.

...Sober.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #199340 on: November 21, 2023, 10:15:46 pm »

Like... it sorta' is, but it's fairly common that's built from a foundation of something less than great, for what it's worth. The reason I don't touch the stuff and almost certainly would commit suicide before getting drunk is because alcohol addiction basically destroyed the lives of the majority of my male family members (and caused a great deal of suffering for most of whatever partners they had, too) on both sides of the family tree. None of them avoided a period of alcoholism at a minimum, not one, not as far back as I'm aware.

It's easier to avoid that first drink when you're looking back at several generations of varying degrees of ruin, heh. Easier when you have multiple generations and dozens of examples of people in your heritage that demonstrably could not take that first drink safely.

Any case, it's definitely possible to claw back from that, however difficult it is. Some of my relatives actually managed it, so... you got things, rol. Long as you want 'em.

...But it's not impossible for it not to be. I don't because it's bad. Nothing bad happened around me, there's no family history that I know of, I just looked into everything and went "nope, better not to", and didn't. And... yeah, pretty easy. Like, I get annoyed when people pat me on the back for it or anything like that, because that sort of thing comes from the assumption that I quit, which is significantly harder and actually worthy of praise. I did literally nothing.

Point is: don't go around thinking quitting wasn't a great thing to do just because some people never started.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199341 on: November 21, 2023, 10:29:18 pm »

I don't drink but I've never made it a rule that I can't, besides an unwillingness to have more than one. Mostly because they're kinda gross and don't make my brain work different in any way I can detect at those quantities, so why bother. My body isn't one which gets a drink and then asks for more, you know? Same with my dad, he usually has a beer with his dinner so that's more often than me, but I've never seen him have more than one glass.

I gather genetics and body chemistry whatsits matter a lot here. I felt like I could try one drink when I turned 21 pretty safely because my family had no problems.

On the other hand I'm hard addicted to caffeine but that's perfectly fine because it's socially acceptable, I'm sure.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199342 on: November 21, 2023, 10:37:38 pm »

I don't drink alcohol. There's a bit of a history of alcoholism in my family but predominantly it was a decision I made because I didn't like the taste when I had little bits decades ago and I don't like the idea of losing control.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #199343 on: November 22, 2023, 12:11:51 am »

I also dislike the taste of alcohol, which is good because alcoholism is also a problem for my family.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #199344 on: November 22, 2023, 03:53:52 am »

Once upon a time my dad asked me why there are so many people love drinking when he was drinking beer and gave me a little glass.
I answered him”Though it is not so tasty, the life is even more bitter than the alcohol.”
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199345 on: November 22, 2023, 03:56:47 am »

I to think alcohol is nasty and don't drink.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #199346 on: November 22, 2023, 04:06:05 am »

It makes me think of another joke. I still remember 2021’s Chinese New Year’s Eve, I drank two full bowls of homemade Boiled Glutinous Rice Balls in Fermented Glutinous Rice, it has a small amount of alcohol, but about 2 hours after I drank it, I felt dizzy and headache, I even went to the hospital for some check , it’s lucky that I get better at the midnight.

I made up a decision that I won’t drink any alcohol since then.
问苍茫大地,谁主沉浮?我主沉浮!
Ask the vast land , who is in charge of the ups and downs .
I am in charge of the ups and downs !

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199347 on: November 22, 2023, 11:03:06 am »

Personally I just exercise my usual method of restraint, which is to not have access to stuff I like. I can keep spirits because I'll never drink them without a mixer.

Also having them so long I forget I have them.

EDIT: Having a good day. Steam sale, got a game on it for less than a fiver, got some work done (Although I need to work out how to do a bar chart with three axes for stick insect behaviour. One for stimulus, one for time, one for behaviour displayed. Guessing it'll be stimulus on the x axis, time on the y axis, and the bars split into the time periods. How I do that in either excel or RStudio on the other hand...), had a bit of time out at a coffee shop before the work to ensure my brain was soaked in caffeine, and now I'm just relaxing.

I'm just feeling happy in myself too, which is a nice feeling. I think my body fat's beginning to redistribute a bit too, which is nice. And I'm doing squat to compensate for the lack of an arse/hips while my body works on shifting the flab around.

Also homemade chai tea. Always nice.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 04:31:27 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199348 on: November 22, 2023, 04:29:12 pm »

I actually like spirits a lot more than beer and wine. Because while wine tastes like perfectly fine grape juice which has been ruined by rot, whiskey is different enough from a regular drink to appreciate its properties.
I once got given a box of jelly beans which were "cocktail flavored". Despite not having any booze in them they had a bitter/fizzy boozy taste to them that I really liked.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #199349 on: November 23, 2023, 01:40:59 am »

got a lot closer with a long-time friend, recently, which was very rewarding — we talked about our past relationships in-depth and gave each other some advice, talked some about our plans for the future and how we feel about all manner of different things
very peaceful and close and lovely

on a walk we saw two manta rays very close to the surface, too, which was amazing
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 13288 13289 [13290] 13291 13292 ... 13327