Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13265 13266 [13267] 13268 13269 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15904220 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #198990 on: July 03, 2023, 09:29:50 pm »

Today I and my mom set off to Kazakhstan to see our extended family. Not leaving Russia for good but yeah.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #198991 on: July 05, 2023, 12:02:14 pm »

... so a while back, there little debbie used to make peanut butter and jelly cookies -- if you know, you know, because those things were a great swath of the US at a minimum's childhood -- but for some reason, they discontinued production. This isn't a post giving some indication someone's making them again, as near as I've been able to tell from several lookarounds over the years, including within the last few months, no one is and no one's making any attempt to.

But.

About a week ago, I got a mild craving for nutter butter cookies (if you've had 'em, you know 'em, they're the peanut shaped things with PB filling). Today, I got to the last few and went, "Wait a second. Why have I never put jelly on these things?" And, well.

I put jelly on some. It wasn't consistent, but, at a few points, it had the taste. The taste of those old PB&J cookies. I haven't tasted that taste in literal decades, for whatever reason it's hard to get normal peanut butter to have quite the right flavor profile to match it, and I never managed it. But this? This was it.

Obvious next step: Little debbie doesn't make PB&J cookies anymore. But they do make just peanut butter ones. I'mma get some, and I'm gon' make my own damn PB&J cookies, since you literally can't buy the things anymore.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198992 on: July 05, 2023, 12:05:06 pm »

You'll have to tell us what brand & flavor of jelly you use.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #198993 on: July 05, 2023, 12:50:48 pm »

This case it was just great value grape (i.e. walmart brand), and that'll be what I use for the first attempt at the little debbie things.

... in my experience there's not really much difference in taste between most brands of (standard, not reduced sugar or whatever) grape jelly (especially on the lower end of the price range, heh), though, so it probably doesn't matter super much. Jam's a different story, but this ain't jam.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #198994 on: July 05, 2023, 09:11:39 pm »

Today I and my mom set off to Kazakhstan to see our extended family. Not leaving Russia for good but yeah.
Hope all goes well! I'm seeing loads of extended family now. I have forgotten what the sensation of hunger feels like after being inundated by the grand council of elder aunties and their insistence that I am a famished orphan in need of fattening

This case it was just great value grape (i.e. walmart brand), and that'll be what I use for the first attempt at the little debbie things.

... in my experience there's not really much difference in taste between most brands of (standard, not reduced sugar or whatever) grape jelly (especially on the lower end of the price range, heh), though, so it probably doesn't matter super much. Jam's a different story, but this ain't jam.
Jam, jelly, preserve, it's all a spectrum of juice and jam. Like one of my fam tried selling me on this Korean citron tea and she said "it's amazing you can even use it as lemon jam" and I take one look at it and say "that's because it is lemon jam"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198995 on: July 05, 2023, 09:37:58 pm »

My mom visited and said I looked like I'd lost weight!  I've been trying to *gain* it, but my back injury has left me without appetite since I'm not burning calories properly.  I'm still a good 15-20 pounds under where I was pre-HRT.

It's a weird balancing act.  I want to gain *certain* fat, and also rebuild my atrophied muscles, but I'm glad my spare tire got reabsorbed.
HRT is literally magic
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #198996 on: July 05, 2023, 11:34:37 pm »

Dragon's Dogma 2 was announced, and thats actually really exciting to me
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198997 on: July 06, 2023, 02:46:03 am »

I remember seeing a show awhile back that was about making canned goods and it turned out that they made shitloads of canned stuff then sold the unlabeled cans to various companies who then put their own labels on them, which meant there really wasn't a difference between the expensive brand and the store brand as they were the same but with different labels. So I'm sure that jam is done probably the same way.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #198998 on: July 06, 2023, 04:57:12 am »

I remember seeing a show awhile back that was about making canned goods and it turned out that they made shitloads of canned stuff then sold the unlabeled cans to various companies who then put their own labels on them, which meant there really wasn't a difference between the expensive brand and the store brand as they were the same but with different labels. So I'm sure that jam is done probably the same way.
Most foodstuffs made in factories do that. There are only so many places to manufacture things.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #198999 on: July 06, 2023, 06:45:49 am »

Oh that immediately made me want to climb some monsters again
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199000 on: July 06, 2023, 07:53:12 am »

I think it's somewhat a case of the generic brands being all the same most of the time*, and are they are sometimes made by a name brand, but I think between name brands and often name brands and generic brands there's a difference. Like uh, if you go to wallmart, or Hyvee (to name a few of theshops near me) all their store brand grape "spread" is the same stuff, but they also all have other cheap fruit like spreads, like welch's grape "spread". Although they are quite similar, I think there's a pretty noticeable difference in taste and texture between the store brands and welch's although I do prefer the store brands. It's certainly plausible that they are made in the same place, although if they actually are different in both what's inside and the bottle, so I can't imagine the savings in manufacturing are that huge.

*Really depends on what item it is, I think some generics (fruit spreads being a good example) are always the same between stores, but there are some that are pretty different, and it probably has to do with the overarching supply chain. There are I think a few different wholesalers that sell to grocery stores, and many grocery stores are owned by such a wholesaler, so especially for more local chains the generic brand often ends up being that wholesalers generic brand, thus shared with other grocery stores that use or are owned by that wholesaler, but they can be (but not always are) different then the generics from a store with a different wholesaler.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:58:57 am by Criptfeind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #199001 on: July 06, 2023, 10:55:53 am »

What you get with name brands is consistency.

For example, the generic jam doesn't all come from the same factory or manufacturer. It's whatever jam from wherever that the store bought that month.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199002 on: July 06, 2023, 11:02:56 am »

Well, that's not true. Not if you're buying from any sorta big name retailer, or really even most small ones. These days they absolutely have factories and supply lines for the house brand generics and they are all consistent. Wallmart isn't picking up a million bottles of "wallmart strawberry spread" a week off the back of a truck.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:06:50 am by Criptfeind »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #199003 on: July 06, 2023, 03:03:30 pm »

Oh that immediately made me want to climb some monsters again

Just run around grabbing animals, find out which ones you can throw and which ones you can climb! Maybe this time you can ride the deer around like the aurochs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199004 on: July 07, 2023, 04:37:22 am »

I got a copy of Dragon's Dogma awhile back and have yet to try it, is as good as people say it is?

What you get with name brands is consistency.
You can get that with store brands as well, we've been getting some of the same store brand stuff forever and it has always been the same.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 13265 13266 [13267] 13268 13269 ... 13327