Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13223 13224 [13225] 13226 13227 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15901465 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #198360 on: December 19, 2022, 01:40:12 pm »

Lets use that excess heat to shove ourselves out of the solar system, and we'll have our own Mothership Earth!
Sounds...cold.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #198361 on: December 20, 2022, 03:56:33 am »

After having been sick for a week I'm now feeling better. Sure, I still have to catch up with stuff, but being able to do a tedious task and then another because you aren't too tired from sitting up doing it owns.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198362 on: December 20, 2022, 04:03:57 am »

Lets use that excess heat to shove ourselves out of the solar system, and we'll have our own Mothership Earth!
Sounds...cold.
We can just turn up the thermostat and I'm sure we'll be fine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #198363 on: December 20, 2022, 07:56:22 pm »

Why don't we just turn all the mass in our solar system into a giant bowl with living space on the inner surface facing the sun and funnel the sun's coronal emissions and solar wind through a hole at the base of said bowl, creating a jet that slowly over millions of years accelerates the sun and ark ship towards our enigmatic destination, so we can bring our entire civilization and biosphere along.

Or we can encase the earth in all the material from all the rocky bodies of our solar system, creating hundreds of layers of living space of all sorts through tunnels and chambers embedded in the "shell" all powered by the earth's mantle (and supplementary fusion reactors) and turn that into a ship to carry us and hundreds of billions of our descendents where ever we please
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:00:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #198364 on: December 20, 2022, 08:01:04 pm »

mom: we have soup at home

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198365 on: December 20, 2022, 08:25:37 pm »

I mean, we could also just turn the earth into a massive computer running a perfect simulation of a world we have complete control over the physical laws and which runs extremely quickly, and just live in the artificial universe with the benefit of immortality and cheat codes.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198366 on: December 20, 2022, 09:47:07 pm »

The problem being that you can't really make a computer capable of simulating the whole planet or universe perfectly in less space than said planet or universe would take.

Besides, I've got something about authenticity. Can't prove that this universe is authentic, but it'd be more authentic than one I know isn't.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198367 on: December 20, 2022, 10:03:45 pm »

It's a tradeoff of space for absolute control.
By relative authenticity, you're just saying a world where someone else a layer up is in control. ;p

Of course this implies that the real best option is to find an arbitrary code execution glitch and escape into the layer above us and maybe stab the inhabitants.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198368 on: December 21, 2022, 02:29:55 am »

Exploring space in the Matrix doesn't sound as interesting as exploring space in real life.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198369 on: December 21, 2022, 01:50:31 pm »

Immortality sounds good until you realize it would also extend to all those rich annoying fucks you'd kinda wish would....pass on to an existence different from your own.

I mean, I'm really looking forward to outliving certain loudmouth individuals that are always in the news.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198370 on: December 21, 2022, 01:53:35 pm »

Exploring space in the Matrix doesn't sound as interesting as exploring space in real life.

This is a GREAT point. A simulation can only give us those things some lowly human though up. Reality can give us wonders that we're too stupid and primitive to even imagine.
My only real regret regarding my relatively short lifespan is that I probably won't live to see Humanity really reach out to the Stars.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198371 on: December 21, 2022, 05:21:52 pm »

Hm, that's an interesting point which in my opinion supports the Dyson Holodeck endgoal.  I feel like it would take longer than an unlimited lifetime for me to grow tired of all the art humanity has already created (especially considering things like games, and multiplayer games).  What can "reality" offer besides that?

But the extreme version of that would be a "wirehead" situation where we are simply made to feel "happy", eternally.  That sounds... horrible.  We'd be *happy*, and yet I don't think I want it.  It sounds a lot like being dead.

So maybe there is some irreplaceable value to authenticity?  I don't know!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198372 on: December 21, 2022, 05:37:11 pm »

But the extreme version of that would be a "wirehead" situation where we are simply made to feel "happy", eternally.  That sounds... horrible.  We'd be *happy*, and yet I don't think I want it.  It sounds a lot like being dead.

It's bad not because it makes you unhappy, but because it leaves you controllable. Agency requires a full spectrum of sensations.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #198373 on: December 21, 2022, 06:28:23 pm »

This isn't wrong, but more in the sense that exploring space in the matrix would probably be wildly more interesting than doing it real life, because a great deal of what that involves is traveling through the stuff and it's mostly just completely, utterly empty. Even all the pretty pictures we occasionally get from telescopes or whatev' are bracketed by great swaths of stuff that's just mostly friggin' boring.

... it also quite possibly would be far less deadly, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198374 on: December 21, 2022, 06:34:06 pm »

I'm transitioning (I know I keep going on about it but AAAAAAAAAA), I'm prepping to finish off university, I'm planning to do my Jitsu grading next opportunity.

The future's brighter than my bald, shiny head.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 13223 13224 [13225] 13226 13227 ... 13327