Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13046 13047 [13048] 13049 13050 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15848366 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195705 on: April 10, 2021, 07:30:44 am »

You people will not enjoy cooking eel, I can tell you as much ;)
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #195706 on: April 10, 2021, 07:54:17 am »

Yeah, I'd be okay doing the whole vegetarian thing again. My beans won't have residual neuronal activity or need entrails removed.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195707 on: April 10, 2021, 08:24:45 am »

It hurts less. Much less. Whitespace is the internet devil, darkling throws the devil out, mostly.
If only we could make it darker.
There's a hidden feature in Discord (mobile only) for that, by the way!  If you go to Apperance and click the Dark option a few times, a mysterious message will appear.  Keep clicking and it unlocks "AMOLED" experimental mode which is significantly darker.

I felt pretty good on April Fools that I was able to share that with someone, and they believed me when I insisted it wasn't a joke.  Because it really isn't, and it felt good to be trusted like that by a relatively new contact :)

I went to the giant asian grocery a couple of days ago and got some great treats.  I didn't remember how many types of seitan (chewy wheat gluten, sort of imitation chicken) there are!  I was surprised to find one that comes premixed with bamboo shoots and another neat treat - quail eggs <3  I wasn't expecting to see real eggs packed with something often used as a meat substitute, but it's a pretty tasty combo.  Still vegetarian I suppose.

I also got a bunch of pickled vegetables and pickled greens which are so great in noodles and rice.  I really missed this place, and it has all the "normal" American staples too - even has a Hispanic aisle like Food Lion xD
I'm glad this particular one is still around... a hole-in-the-wall asian grocery much closer to me closed down months ago :(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195708 on: April 10, 2021, 08:49:29 am »

I went to the giant asian grocery a couple of days ago and got some great treats.  I didn't remember how many types of seitan (chewy wheat gluten, sort of imitation chicken) there are!  I was surprised to find one that comes premixed with bamboo shoots and another neat treat - quail eggs <3  I wasn't expecting to see real eggs packed with something often used as a meat substitute, but it's a pretty tasty combo.  Still vegetarian I suppose.

I also got a bunch of pickled vegetables and pickled greens which are so great in noodles and rice.  I really missed this place, and it has all the "normal" American staples too - even has a Hispanic aisle like Food Lion xD
I'm glad this particular one is still around... a hole-in-the-wall asian grocery much closer to me closed down months ago :(

I always wonder about those little packages of 'pickled vegetable' like mustard or seaweed or whatever else. You just add them to noodles?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195709 on: April 10, 2021, 09:25:56 am »

I always wonder about those little packages of 'pickled vegetable' like mustard or seaweed or whatever else. You just add them to noodles?
That's what I do yeah!  I tend to throw them in with the dry rice or noodles because it doesn't seem to matter, they stay crunchy after the ~20 minutes of cooking and it gets the vinegar and spiceyness into the rice or the noodle-soup.  I've never really had an objectionable result with them, aside from the normal mistake of eating too much spicey before bed.

I really like turnips in particular for some reason.  This asian deli-grocery I used to live near had these *lovely* turnip cakes.  As far as I know they were just ground up turnip grilled in a lot of oil and salt, but they were a sweet spot of chewy and starchy-sweet.  Like potato bits in tortillas <3

Oh yeah I also got some fresh shredded seaweed in the fridge - it also seems unaffected by cooking with the rice, and doesn't seem to add much taste at all, but adds a nice green crunchy-chewy to a bowl of rice.  They sell salted variants but the fresh tastes better, a rare occasion where even I can tell.

Aaand as a particularly rare treat, I got some big pork dumplings (with spinach!).  I expect them to stay in the freezer a while, but I'm sure I'll get a hankering and steam one up (in the rice cooker's steamer tray!) before too long.  I doubt there's much pork in them but that's fine by me, I want the taste and also the spinach.

I'm soooo lazy when it comes to cooking, but I'm always pleasantly surprised at how far even this tiny amount of effort (dumping cool veggies and carbs in a pot) can go.
(and all the beans help balance it nutritionally, but tbh even I am getting sick of beans.  They're just so easy to store in mass, dry!)

OH I ALSO GOT MISO PASTE yessss!  White miso, very salty, a little goes a long way in any soup.

And huh, a bag of salted turnip slices.  I guess it's obvious that I experimented a lot with this visit.  I'm going to just have to see whether they're any good by themselves, or more likely I throw them in the pot.

Lays (tm) (r) brand cucumber-flavored potato chips are definitely a win, though.  I love the harsh vinegar of pickle chips a lot, but that just makes these more pleasant as a change of pace.

plus some earl grey tea because I don't know tea from coffee, particularly when only half the options have English, but I know this type tastes pretty great

edit:  I also have like a quarter pound left of dry assorted mushrooms, which is several dishes worth of dry mushrooms.  resist to urge the snack on them, they do need rehydrating.  They always turn the rice (or couscous!) a deep dark color as the mushroomy taste infuses everything - and then they're nice a chewy too!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:32:52 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195710 on: April 10, 2021, 10:56:02 am »

Sounds like a good haul. You're really making me want to go visit my chinese supermarket, but we're still not allowed to leave our home area until a few months I think :( apparently travelling outside it for noodles and chilli oil isn't 'essential'. >_>

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195711 on: April 10, 2021, 11:00:07 am »

I joined a little community of FFXIV bards who make and play music :>

It's quite fun.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195712 on: April 10, 2021, 11:16:56 am »

I use Greenshot for my screenshotting needs.

Maybe I should switch to Darkling, never really bothered TBH.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195713 on: April 10, 2021, 11:45:54 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:22:58 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195714 on: April 10, 2021, 01:13:21 pm »

It's quite fun.

Big Band jazz FFIX music now!
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #195715 on: April 10, 2021, 01:48:55 pm »

It's quite fun.

Big Band on the Big Bridge

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195716 on: April 10, 2021, 02:02:39 pm »

It's quite fun.

I should youtube-record a few more songs, but I'm worried about copyright n stuff. They're pretty serious about that sort of thing.

Been trying to do some more broad-range-appeal songs instead of just video game tracks. Got a pretty ok Shut Up And Dance With Me goin. People stop and dance, because of course they do. :>
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #195717 on: April 10, 2021, 05:56:07 pm »

I mean, if you bandin' y'all got to do some benny goodman or somethin' sooner or later. Everybody knows Sing Sing Sing, even when they don't know they know Sing Sing Sing. It's like certain age groups and the Steak, It's What's for Dinner (copland) song or Lone Ranger (rossini).

... incidentally, Rodeo and the William Tell? Both also good ones!

But yeah, if you're looking to dodge copyright strikes, probably aim for stuff that's old enough they've go public domain, or just straight up open use. Huge piles of that stuff around...

e: Though if you want to mess with people, clear out a day and sit your folks down somewhere noticeable, then burn through the entire Ring Cycle in one go. Only 17 hours long! Betcha' cyber gil no one's done that yet :V
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:05:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195718 on: April 11, 2021, 06:01:14 am »

IT IS GONE BROTHERS AND BROTHERETTES, WE DID IT, HOORAY B12, GOOD JOB EVERYBODY.
What's gone, I feel like I missed something.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195719 on: April 11, 2021, 06:30:15 am »

It's quite fun.

I should youtube-record a few more songs, but I'm worried about copyright n stuff. They're pretty serious about that sort of thing.

Been trying to do some more broad-range-appeal songs instead of just video game tracks. Got a pretty ok Shut Up And Dance With Me goin. People stop and dance, because of course they do. :>

How many types of inageumwnts are there in-game?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 13046 13047 [13048] 13049 13050 ... 13326