Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12865 12866 [12867] 12868 12869 ... 13316

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14996030 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: [FBK]🍔 BIG FUBUKING HAMBAHGA 🍔(Happy thread)
« Reply #192990 on: April 28, 2020, 07:43:08 am »

That castle looks like it was assaulted by someone wielding a huge laser cutter, and afterwards used as a cheap lighthouse foundation

No, it's clearly photoshopped. Some lazy person couldn't be bothered to remove the sky around the lighthouse before pasting it on top of the castle.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #192991 on: April 28, 2020, 07:49:44 am »

Guys please don't get weird at each other over definitions of food and stuff, joking or not. This is supposed to be a nice place and with how things are out in the world right now I think we could all use nice things.

Try to give each other a bit more patience and thought if you can, just because things are stressful doesn't mean we need to stay on edge everywhere.
Thank you, and I'll apologize for almost derailing this thread by starting this mess.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:52:30 am by Culise »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192992 on: April 28, 2020, 07:51:48 am »

Santullan Quarry
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Castle and Cathedral

Castle and Watchtower

That's some good picture-taking, Poo.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192993 on: April 28, 2020, 08:48:35 am »

Actually, scriver, ORIGINALLY originally fruit meant anything that was food produced by a plant. Grain is fruit too, hence all the "fruited plains" in America. There's usage of it that way in the Bible too. It's not just a definition that botanists made up.

The point is not about what it meant originally, it's about what some people arbitrarily decided it means versus what it means to people

Guys please don't get weird at each other over definitions of food and stuff, joking or not. This is supposed to be a nice place and with how things are out in the world right now I think we could all use nice things.

Try to give each other a bit more patience and thought if you can, just because things are stressful doesn't mean we need to stay on edge everywhere.

Don't worry Gunnyn, I'll drop it after this post if my argument doesn't bear fruit
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192994 on: April 28, 2020, 10:21:15 am »

But at the point these vile botanists they decided what it meant, most people thought of "fruit" as the food produced by a plant. The botanists' definition wasn't all that different from the commonly accepted meaning at that time. It's the layfolk that later changed their tune.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:23:55 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192995 on: April 28, 2020, 10:28:43 am »

But at the point these vile botanists they decided what it meant, most people thought of "fruit" as the food produced by a plant. The botanists' definition wasn't all that different from the commonly accepted meaning at that time. It's the layfolk that later changed their song.

You also have to ask whose definition is more important. Gangs of botanists aren't going around smacking people upside the head for calling the wrong things fruits, and laypeople will always be at least a little bit wrong about everything just because it's a full-time job to be usefully right about anything and you run headlong into diminishing returns really fast; if all someone does with fruit is buy it at the store and eat it, who cares? Heck, if all someone does with fruit is grow it, they're still going to grow it according to species.

Let the people for whom precision has actual consequences be precise, and everyone else can carry on however they like.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192996 on: April 28, 2020, 11:17:09 am »

The same word can also mean very different things in different contexts. Those contexts may or may not overlap. By saying that the word was "used wrong" it just shows a lack of acknowledgement of the correct context. It's actually just a comprehension fail, even if willful.

If someone says they went to the shops for some fruit and vegetables, and you point out that they only went to the shop for fruit, since the vegetables they bought were "technically fruit", then that's actually completely technically wrong, because it failed to decode the message correctly. Language is about conveying messages, it's the senders job to send a clear message, and it's the receivers job to interpret that message: notably, to get the context of meaning correct. It's a failure of comprehension to confuse a word with a homonym when it's clearly indicated which meaning was intended.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #192997 on: April 28, 2020, 11:38:10 am »

Have we overthrown the prescriptivists yet? No? Hold on, I need to get that guillotine

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192998 on: April 28, 2020, 11:48:08 am »

Have we overthrown the prescriptivists yet?
Sure we have!  Depending on what you mean by "prescriptivists", "overthrown", and "we".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192999 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:27 pm »

Yup, I could care less what the language prescriptivists think. I literally die every time they go on and on. It's like "Play it again, Sam" from Cassablanca.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:03:26 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193000 on: April 28, 2020, 12:04:48 pm »

literally
I'm not actually a prescriptivist, but this remains the best case I've ever seen for it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193001 on: April 28, 2020, 12:15:30 pm »

literally
I'm not actually a prescriptivist, but this remains the best case I've ever seen for it.

This author mentions another, and why it's her one exception to descriptivism.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #193002 on: April 28, 2020, 12:51:46 pm »

It's actually the botanists that are prescriptivists in this matter

Can I say that without breaking my promise to Gunner? Probably not. I'm sorry, Gunner-chan. I'm weak in the mind. I cannot resist temptation.
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193003 on: April 28, 2020, 01:01:03 pm »

literally

There's an argument to be made on the basis of reach, I think. If I'm only talking to people directly, descriptivism works fine, because if we disagree on the meaning of a word we can clarify. If I'm publishing a paper that may be read by someone a hundred years from now in an entirely different part of the world who is fluent in an entirely different set of languages -- or I'm reading such a publication -- it becomes far more important that there be some frame of reference for what words mean. This is exacerbated by the use of algorithms. One can decide words mean whatever they like, but searching the Internet is far more frustrating if Google disagrees with you -- and while Google itself can adapt, databases exist that cannot be searched so flexibly.

Thankfully, this distinction already exists, and is well understood by everyone who communicates in both ways.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193004 on: April 28, 2020, 02:54:50 pm »

literally
is well understood by everyone who communicates in both ways.

*narrows eyes*
Is this sarcasm?
Pages: 1 ... 12865 12866 [12867] 12868 12869 ... 13316