Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12567 12568 [12569] 12570 12571 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15812734 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #188520 on: December 25, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »

"It's Christmas time... Why don't you check under my tree for your present."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188521 on: December 25, 2018, 12:55:45 pm »

"Hey babe wanna ring in the new year with my dong?"
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #188522 on: December 25, 2018, 07:21:00 pm »

Yeah, I absolutely do not oppose the good and wonderful things religion can do. I am only opposed to the modern bigotry against us apostates.
Now that you're one of us, you know what you must do. Drive a sled into a nativity scene while shouting 'Dawkins is great'.

And that's going to decrease the modern bigotry against you [athiests]*? :)
I know some people... well, only a few, but still... who would milk that for as many denigrations of athiests as they could make.

*(I'm choosing not to associate myself with said bigots.)

The whole "not believing in any divine power" is just a smokescreen. In truth atheists worship the mysterious Athe Armok.

FTFY.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #188523 on: December 25, 2018, 08:02:02 pm »

I want to try this thing... https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLEY49Z
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #188524 on: December 25, 2018, 08:28:15 pm »

While it would be better in a Grim Dawn thread... (Also assuming you made that build)

It's a really bad idea in Grim Dawn to have a hybrid build. If you want pets, you need to focus on pets (and probably go for Occultist/Necromancer). If you want to be an auto-attacker, you need to focus on that. And so on and so forth. Further, it's always worth it to max out the passives for both your classes. Finally, you don't need to max out all your skill, especially passive buff ones and particularly some of the upgrades. Ones you do want to max out are actives you'll be using on the regular (or pets, if that's what you want to go for).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188525 on: December 26, 2018, 12:00:52 am »

The weather outside is frightful but the party in my pants is delightful.
Let it snow LET IT SNOW

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #188526 on: December 26, 2018, 06:52:35 am »

While it would be better in a Grim Dawn thread... (Also assuming you made that build)

It's a really bad idea in Grim Dawn to have a hybrid build. If you want pets, you need to focus on pets (and probably go for Occultist/Necromancer). If you want to be an auto-attacker, you need to focus on that. And so on and so forth. Further, it's always worth it to max out the passives for both your classes. Finally, you don't need to max out all your skill, especially passive buff ones and particularly some of the upgrades. Ones you do want to max out are actives you'll be using on the regular (or pets, if that's what you want to go for).
For what I've read the latest patch kind of enables you to do hybrids... to a point

This one is supposed to be mostly an aether/vit autoattacker (I have a secondary improved plan layout which uses harbinger of death). Corpse fiend with max aura is there mostly to draw aggro, inq ranged skills are breakpointed.

I'm also making a pure summoner apostate (which uses maxed out skels with max word of renewal, inquisitor seal for endurance. I'm getting good vibes out of the inq seal. I dont know to what extent I need the plushealth bonus modifier in WoRenewal since its a pretty small bonus in the great scheme of things(if I decide against it I'll use the spare points for... bone spikes for proccing or something), but inq seal seems pretty good, I can definitely tell it makes skels tankier. In this one I also have a max blight fiend with max aura for aggro as well. I dont know how well it will work out, but if it DOES I think 28 points for a good stinky decoy are well spent
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188527 on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:50 am »

I wanna do a thing. Something outside myself. A big (yuge) thing. I want to change public opinion on atheists and assorted non-religious folk in the USA.

... It's a tall order. I'm a little daunted. I've had three ideas on how to do it today and I know where to start.

1. Signs, billboards, and flyers. With simple, non-aggressive slogans like "It's okay to be an Atheist!" And a number/link
2. Start a website with links to helpful atheism related stuff, like RationalWiki and such like. Probably a forum too.
3. Get a cheap phone solely for the purpose of answering calls from the aforementioned flyers/website. Deal with hate calls and sift through bigotry to find people I can help.

So. It's my plan. My... Thing that I do that positively impacts the world. My raison d'etre perhaps.

Thoughts?
Maybe don't approach it that way, point out that it is fully acceptable to lack belief in anything, and there is no requirement to answer a question which doesn't apply to you. I'm not any sort of -theist, -ostic, -ist, -lian, or anything else someone might give as an answer when asked "what religion are you?" because that is not a question which applies to me.

You may as well be asking who I main in Overwatch, what my favorite baseball team is, or which country musicians I prefer to listen to; none of these questions have answers, but that doesn't mean I'm now defined in some way by my lack thereof, why should some sort of belief system be any different?

Is atheism a belief system? Because using it as a valid answer for "what belief system do you go by" seems kinda like you're either trying to be contrarian, or perhaps have found yourself trapped in a situation where the bounds of discussion were placed to favor a certain set of assumptions, one of which seems to be "you have to treat this as a valid question" and homie don't play dat.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188528 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:00 am »

Atheism is not a belief system, but I'd call it beliefist in thay it is a stance on and in regard to belief.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188529 on: December 26, 2018, 09:28:53 am »

ontological quibble:

Atheism (of the strong kind) is very much a belief, as it is not founded on data, nor on proper deduction. (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and all that kettle of fish. Please spare me the boring ramble about Russel's Teapot. I am not interested in navel gazing.)  It is instead founded on the core faith-based assertion that "they do not exist." (They do tend to get all riled up by having this pointed out to them, and spend hours navel gazing about how they have a LACK of belief and not a belief; No, they believe that something does not exist, which is a belief. It is an assertion, much like the one I am making here-- AND, just like it, it can be either true or false, based on actual evidence and data. Just like I am making this argument about them and their position, they too are making just as uninformed an argument-- I have not personally met every single strong atheist, and so do not have perfect knowledge to make such an assertion; Likewise, they have not demonstrated, positively, that there are no gods. As such, just like it is fallacious of me to assert that all strong atheists hold to this kind of thinking, it is also just as fallacious of the strong atheist to assert that there are definitively no gods.)

This is very different from an agnostic, who says "I have no knowledge of them; I have never encountered one, and so cannot tell you."

I personally hold this latter view, with a caveat-- If such a being exists, it must operate in one of two ways. 1) In a perfectly consistent manner, that is indistinguishable from random chance, or predictable natural forces OR--2) It must not interact with the universe in any meaningful way, as no evidence of interaction appears to be present.  In either case, worship of this hypothetical being is a non-sequitur, The being either does not deviate from its prescribed means of action (and thus wont make any special exceptions for you, no matter how much you beg it to do so), or it does not care about you at all, and will never intercede.  I deduce that any such being would be of these two categories, because if there were beings that were not of those categories, there would be evidence of their action on the universe.  That evidence has not been detected, despite very, VERY extensive searching.  It is possible we (as a species) have missed something, but the more likely outcome is that if such a being exists, it is of one of those bents.  In either case, I can agree with the Atheist that you should not waste your time trying to worship it, regardless of if it exists or not. :P

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188530 on: December 26, 2018, 09:36:35 am »

Atheism (of the strong kind) is very much a belief, as it is not founded on data, nor on proper deduction. (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and all that kettle of fish.
[...]
 I deduce that any such being would be of these two categories, because if there were beings that were not of those categories, there would be evidence of their action on the universe.  That evidence has not been detected, despite very, VERY extensive searching. 

So it's only based on deduction when you do it, then?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188531 on: December 26, 2018, 09:40:34 am »

Unlike the strong atheist, I lamplight that I could be wrong; I do not have perfect data (and neither does mankind).  Or did you purposefully ignore the "We could have missed something" statement?

A deduction is a guess; It implies that there is error.  An assertion is an absolute.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #188532 on: December 26, 2018, 09:47:31 am »

But should I go for aura of comviction or one of the necro masteries?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #188533 on: December 26, 2018, 09:51:24 am »

But should I go for aura of comviction or one of the necro masteries?
We really should take this to PMs. I briefly thought this was a shitpost.

That said masteries are always better than all other options because it gives you stats without needing to spend stat points (most of which will always go to physique regardless of your build).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #188534 on: December 26, 2018, 09:53:52 am »

I'm a gnostic believer in the Railgun thread. If you guys want to argue about the definition of atheism, could you do it there where I can ignore it? It's come up at least three times in the time I've been browsing the forums alone, and it probably came up as much or more in the past.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 12567 12568 [12569] 12570 12571 ... 13326