Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12536 12537 [12538] 12539 12540 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15836586 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #188055 on: November 22, 2018, 04:12:34 pm »

I think the point that people might be trying to make isn't that the countryside has nothing in it, but rather it has a lot of space between the things that are in it. And that often means things aren't in walking distance. There's plenty of places in the countryside* hours from anything, and at that point it's hardly casual walking distance, technically you could walk that far, but it's not something you'll do a lot and it's sure not convenient. Unless you define "everything you want" as just the stuff nearby, which, is fair, but not the case for a lot of people.

*In the US at least.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #188056 on: November 22, 2018, 04:23:47 pm »

Suburia < Rural < City Edge
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188057 on: November 22, 2018, 04:29:46 pm »

People naturally filter out to the places that are right for them.

Conveniently, this concentrates all the city people together into easy targets for when the countryside people strike!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188058 on: November 22, 2018, 04:39:21 pm »

To bad the onset agoraphobia will keep the rurals from being able to do anything ;)
Love, scriver~

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188059 on: November 22, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »

When I retire I'm going to live in a forest.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188060 on: November 22, 2018, 05:58:38 pm »

Living in the countryside would only be good if one was, like, a serial killer or poppy farmer or something.
Half of y'all just make a drastic leap in my headcanon. :P

Now, of course, if you were actually living in the wilderness, completely cut off from society, that would be different. Pretty cool, actually. Hermit cave FTW. But if you're going to be a part of civilization, even way out on its fringes, why the hell would you choose to live in bumfuck nowhere with poor/nonexistent PT and nothing in walking distance unless you feel like hiking for an entire day?! Lots of drunk-driving tends to happen in such situations, too.   
Also, it sounds like a lot of people's complaints about cities stem from simply giving way too many shits about what your asshole neighbours think of you. Noise complaints are pretty much the only thing one has to worry about, apart from paying your bills (and keeping your home intact if you're renting, obviously).

Sincerely, a city boy.

Edit:
To bad the onset agoraphobia will keep the rurals from being able to do anything ;)
The fear of inescapable social situations? ...Yeah, probably. Knowing most everyone in town and running a high risk of meeting people whenever you leave the house is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:01:07 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188061 on: November 22, 2018, 06:05:14 pm »

Quiet, no traffic noises, animals, hunting, hiking, nobody to tel you to turn your music down, nobody to call the cops on your bonfire, space to work on hobbies, you have enough money to do so, because land is power, because humans operate in a dominance hierarchy, and city humans find space is at a premium, because your money can go further in the country than in the city,  because people get more aggressive the more confined they are, because you can control what you expose yourself to, because piece of mind is also lack of artifical stimuli.

Ask yourself why the rich and affluent prefer lonely mansions to other people.  Why people go on vacations to quiet islands, why hermits still exist, why monks are typecast as seclusive, why meditation is so popular.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #188062 on: November 22, 2018, 06:12:29 pm »

I think the point that people might be trying to make isn't that the countryside has nothing in it, but rather it has a lot of space between the things that are in it. And that often means things aren't in walking distance. There's plenty of places in the countryside* hours from anything, and at that point it's hardly casual walking distance, technically you could walk that far, but it's not something you'll do a lot and it's sure not convenient. Unless you define "everything you want" as just the stuff nearby, which, is fair, but not the case for a lot of people.

*In the US at least.
This.  Also there are places in America that are at least an hour from anything driving. Including other residences.  Remember, we have one state basically the size of all Europe.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:15:14 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188063 on: November 22, 2018, 06:20:08 pm »

If you live in a decent neighbourhood there won't be much in the way of noise complaints anyway.
"Quiet" isn't a pro. Hiking paradise is just a train ride away, a train ride whose starting station is probably just a short walk from your house. Apart from like, blacksmithing I can't think of many hobbies that can't easily be performed in a garage or backyard. "Money can go further in the country"? You mean like how everything is more expensive than in cities/suburbs? ???

Also I'm not sure how "land is power", in my experience as long as you're paying rates to the government it basically still belongs to them anyway - but then, I live in Australia, probably one of the most subjugated first-world countries around. No idea what it's like in Freedomland, perhaps several of your points apply better over there.

This.  Also there are places in America that are at least an hour from anything driving.. Including other residences.  Remember, we have one state basically the size of all Europe.
It's crazy how our country isn't that much smaller, but the US just seems so insanely massive because, well, half of it is actually inhabited.

Edit: also... "quiet"? Quiet?! Have you ever heard a friggin' cicada?!
I would take the noise of construction sites or a multi-lane highway on my doorstep over that torture any day. Honestly, cicada song (or whatever other annoying fukken bugs are more common in other areas) is pretty much the ultimate, indisputable argument against living (or setting foot) in the country, ever.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:35:32 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #188064 on: November 22, 2018, 06:32:57 pm »

I’ve lived in a one street Village that’s a two hour walk from the nearest town (20 minutes by train) for most of my life, and I honestly don’t see the appeal of living in a city. I did, briefly, a decent while ago, and I have to say, I don’t know why anyone does it. It’s awful.
We have basically everything covered by around a dozen businesses squished into the middle of the one street, and you have people who you know, and who’ve known you since you were very young, whom you can get for help if something happens, although you may need to wait a while for them to arrive. You never need to converse with anyone other than the Shopkeeper, and if you ever want a chat, you can head down to the pub. We have three, formerly five, pick your favorite.it’s calm and peaceful, with everything you’d need extremely close by, and you have a few for miles of fields and farmland broken only by the occasional farmhouse or forested hilltop. I’ve never had any hassle or difficulty from it, and my commute to work is just a walk down the street to the coffee shop. Overall, 8/10. Too many inexplicably omnipresent Hippies.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188065 on: November 22, 2018, 06:38:34 pm »

I live in New England, we exterminated our cicadas
PKs DF Mod!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188066 on: November 22, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »

People naturally filter out to the places that are right for them.

Conveniently, this concentrates all the city people together into easy targets for when the countryside people strike!
What, all three dozen of them? :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188067 on: November 22, 2018, 08:52:15 pm »

Living in the countryside would only be good if one was, like, a serial killer or poppy farmer or something.
Half of y'all just make a drastic leap in my headcanon. :P

Now, of course, if you were actually living in the wilderness, completely cut off from society, that would be different. Pretty cool, actually. Hermit cave FTW. But if you're going to be a part of civilization, even way out on its fringes, why the hell would you choose to live in bumfuck nowhere with poor/nonexistent PT and nothing in walking distance unless you feel like hiking for an entire day?! Lots of drunk-driving tends to happen in such situations, too.   
Also, it sounds like a lot of people's complaints about cities stem from simply giving way too many shits about what your asshole neighbours think of you. Noise complaints are pretty much the only thing one has to worry about, apart from paying your bills (and keeping your home intact if you're renting, obviously).

Sincerely, a city boy.

Edit:
The fear of inescapable social situations? ...Yeah, probably. Knowing most everyone in town and running a high risk of meeting people whenever you leave the house is a nightmare.

I'd happily be a serial killer if not for my goddamn conscience and squicky fear of blood/organs.

Also cicadas are downright heavenly compared to humans in my yard. I live a block from neighbors and I can't see their house and that's perfect. I'm on a wooded dead end where I can see deer and touch baby rabbits that get trapped in my garden. To each their own.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188068 on: November 22, 2018, 09:23:34 pm »

Pff.  If I had a complete break and lost all compassion for other people, my "spree" would be to sneak around dark, risky places at night and jump out at them, then run giggling.  That's my dark impulse.

I played way too much Thief growing up, my power fantasy is not being seen.

(I'm also very afraid of exactly that scenario in reverse, so...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #188069 on: November 23, 2018, 12:55:01 am »

Pff.  If I had a complete break and lost all compassion for other people, my "spree" would be to sneak around dark, risky places at night and jump out at them, then run giggling.  That's my dark impulse.

I played way too much Thief growing up, my power fantasy is not being seen.

(I'm also very afraid of exactly that scenario in reverse, so...)

An infinite conga line of people sneaking behind other people, and each person is only aware of the person ditectly in front of them.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 12536 12537 [12538] 12539 12540 ... 13326