Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12395 12396 [12397] 12398 12399 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15891954 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #185940 on: July 07, 2018, 10:31:23 pm »

Russia calls soccer "futbol", rugby "regby", and... American football "Amerikanskiy futbol".

In Russia, they call Russian food "Food"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185941 on: July 07, 2018, 11:00:35 pm »

What parts of the world? The only part of the world I’m aware of that doesn’t refer to actual football as football is where their version of football has only 2 players on a team of 53 that are actually allowed to deliberately touch the ball with a foot.

"Football" refers to the bit where your players are chasing a ball around a field on foot, not the part where they hit the ball with a foot. Considering that games exist where you don't have a single ball and a long field and two teams with goals on either side, Football is basically the same game as Football, which is in turn the same game as hockey, which is the same as basketball. From this point of view it makes sense that you'd have two variations on the game "Football" named respectively American Football and Association Football, the latter of which can be shortened to "Soccer".

Soccer being the logical abbreviation, taking part of the word that nobody remembers is part of the name of the sport, of course :P

Can't blame that on americans~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #185942 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:16 am »

Oh, earlier, I meant regarding rugby. I'm American, so I have to deal with that bullshit name replication.

rugby is different from both american and association football

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185943 on: July 08, 2018, 09:08:03 am »

Good ole USA, doing everything to piss off everyone else. Soccer, football, armor, imperial measurements, running an imperialistic, hegemonic military empire.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185944 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:50 am »

Soccer was originally British slang for Association Football, dating back to the 19th century. It was in fact the most common word for it in the UK. It fits a pattern of British slang, e.g. the baseball-like sport that originated in the UK is Rounders*, Rugby becomes Ruggers and Assocation Football became Soccer.

But then the Americans copied the Brits, and around 1970 the Brits decided (wrongly) that it was an "Americanism" and the word soccer went out of fashion. Notably, in Australia it's still called Soccer, and we got that from England, not America.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:22:46 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185945 on: July 08, 2018, 09:20:31 am »

Well I call it football 'cause I'm not a lame-o. Also rugby is heckin' boring (except for when the Broncos/maroons play) so it deserves to have a dumb name like "rugby". :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185946 on: July 08, 2018, 09:23:54 am »

You call it something different to what 99% of your country have called it for over a century because you're a hipster, not because you're not a lam-o.

The traditional name for the sport in Australia has always been soccer. The national team is even the socceroos. That name for the sport goes back to our great great grandparents generation. The term soccer came into use in England about 200 years ago.

"Football" is a modern affectation that only dates from the post 1970s in the UK. The most plausible explanation is that the term football was more "gentrified" than soccer - and this is the reason the name changed in the UK but not in Australia or New Zealand - the UK's class system - and the fact that soccer (traditionally a working class sport) was becoming a bigger thing financially over there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:46:20 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185947 on: July 08, 2018, 09:45:36 am »

99% (your figure, not mine) of my country being stupid doesn't make me a hipster, y'know...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #185948 on: July 08, 2018, 09:49:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I found someone's job resignation letter

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #185949 on: July 08, 2018, 09:56:48 am »

If football is running after a ball on foot, does it mean basketball is running after a ball on baskets?

What about handball?

"Football" is a modern affectation that only dates from the post 1970s in the UK.

Suuuure, football is a modern affectation for "association football" >_>
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185950 on: July 08, 2018, 09:57:24 am »

99% (your figure, not mine) of my country being stupid doesn't make me a hipster, y'know...

Multiple generations of people use the same word for something, then you glomp onto the new hip word for it, and now they're lam-o's for not changing their vocabulary along with you? People who've grown up with t that word, their parents and grandparents too. All losers, unlike you.

That attitude is the definition of hipster. I'm not making the call just based on this, but on other things such as you said about anyone who likes rap "why would anyone ever value your opinion". Which is frankly, really shitty however you try and spin that.

(also other things such as being a holier-than-thou vocal vegan, name dropping obscure non-English authors, acting like you have objectively better taste than everyone else, and seeming to be automatically against large swathes of pop culture purely because it's popular. All sounds pretty hipsterish to me. And not in the good ways).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:07:08 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185951 on: July 08, 2018, 10:07:04 am »

I dunno why you're always trying to start shit with me, but I'm not going to take the bait on this occasion.  ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯
Especially not in the Happy thread of all places.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I found someone's job resignation letter
Noice.

Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185952 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:17 am »

Then don't go around calling everyone else in the entire country a stupid lam-o just because they don't agree with you. This wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185953 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:33 am »

Then don't go around calling everyone else in the entire country a stupid lam-o just because they don't agree with you. This wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I'm legitimately curious what you were trying to accomplish, though, since insulting whole swathes of people for being different than him is kind of what Yoink does; when it's not complaining about greasy omnivores or random bus-riding members of the public, it's bashing people's preferences in media. What's one more admonition going to accomplish in the face of whatever motivates all that?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185954 on: July 08, 2018, 10:28:47 am »

I'm legitimately curious what you were trying to accomplish, though, since insulting whole swathes of people for being different than him is kind of what Yoink does; when it's not complaining about greasy omnivores or random bus-riding members of the public, it's bashing people's preferences in media. What's one more admonition going to accomplish in the face of whatever motivates all that?

I was mainly interested in seeing how he'd react to the term hipster since he's looking more and more like one to me as time goes on.

There can be a good way of being a hipster - finding obscure stuff and promoting it so that more people check it out. Bashing other people for not having appropriately hip tastes or clinging onto older traditional vocabulary is the bad way.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:31:09 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 12395 12396 [12397] 12398 12399 ... 13327