Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12285 12286 [12287] 12288 12289 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15850325 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [Ye] Welcome to the bunzone nerd! (Happy thread)
« Reply #184290 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:25 am »

Holy fuck thats a lot
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #184291 on: January 01, 2018, 06:07:38 pm »

Saw The Last Jedi before work.  Writjng this on my phone on the train ride over, so I can’t go into any detail, but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184292 on: January 01, 2018, 11:51:22 pm »

New Years Eve with dad & [Aquaria] (and my friends via futuristic nonsense) was really nice, despite sobriety and politics!
Walking the ol' city, near enough my hometown (college, most of high school) in the frigid weather was grand.  There's something special about walking in bitter cold with a proper coat, and a fuzzy "russian" hat!  You feel the cold, it even nips, but it can't reach your core, haha!

Cold and me have a history, heh.  I've always preferred it to summer heat.  You can at least hide from cold.

They set up a ferris wheel right in the core street!  And the food trucks, oh man.  I still almost regret not trying the fried cheese curds, even if they were $8 and I was stuffed from family dinner with gma.  Cheese curds!  I picture them as rubbery lumps, hehe!

And home and safe/warm, we saw the [local not-apple] drop along with the Big Apple.  And (pheheh) Brittany Spears, and later some Korean band which my dad actually really liked, I should try to dig them up actually.  He occasionally likes J-pop, and K-pop too I guess sometimes!

Anyway, being sober for new years eve was pretty great, lots of great memories (:
What I hope to remember from *today* is that Travelers (new from Netflix) seems very solid so far, episode 3.  And I drove someone around, and ate good food - but mainly I played a video game and relaxed, hehe.
Salve, 2018!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184293 on: January 02, 2018, 05:39:05 am »

I am so goddamn hooked on Plague Inc (Steam version).  It's all I've wanted to do since I got it a couple days ago.  Beaten all the main plague types on Single Player / Normal.  Moving on to scenarios.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184294 on: January 02, 2018, 05:08:32 pm »

I am so goddamn hooked on Plague Inc (Steam version).  It's all I've wanted to do since I got it a couple days ago.  Beaten all the main plague types on Single Player / Normal.  Moving on to scenarios.
The scoring system for those is brutal

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184295 on: January 02, 2018, 06:26:08 pm »

The scoring system for those is brutal

I don't even care about scores right now.  I just want to beat them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #184296 on: January 04, 2018, 04:49:05 am »

I learned a lesson, or rather realized something that seems obvious now in hindsight. Took me longer than it probably should’ve, but I got it. I hope, at least.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184297 on: January 04, 2018, 10:50:54 pm »

I stumbled across a book called "Indigenous African Institutions" by George B. N. Ayittey  while doing research. Its way more interesting then it sounds I promise. Whats more it presents realistic solutions to Africa's problem. What makes me happy is that I really like reading it and am glad I found it.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184298 on: January 04, 2018, 11:09:59 pm »

Cheese curds!  I picture them as rubbery lumps, hehe!
Hah! They remind me of them, too!

I hung out with my friends at Denny's today, then got to go up to one of their houses and played some Super Hot VR. Great day, and I hope tomorrow is just as good.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #184299 on: January 04, 2018, 11:11:08 pm »

A while back, someone here linked to a terribad steam game called "Zombie Zoeds".  Somehow I found it again and it now has 884 reviews, almost all of them negative.

This makes me feel... hopeful, that if I ever make a game people will play it.  Presumably not everyone who bought the game wrote a review, and most of the reviews seem unironic.  If thousands of people played that, there must still be room for more developers out there.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184300 on: January 04, 2018, 11:16:15 pm »

And yet I hear tell that about a third of games on the Steam store have literally never been played. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #184301 on: January 05, 2018, 12:20:43 am »

Apparently something like 70 games are released on Steam per day. Most of them nonentities that never get played because no-one hears of them, or no-one in their right mind would play them.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184302 on: January 05, 2018, 01:56:49 am »

Assuming nobody knows your game exists the moment that you put the game on steam, probably a few people will see it on a list, and if your game is eye catching and cheap, maybe a few of those will look at your game's page, and if the information on THERE is enticing enough, maybe somebody will buy it, at which point the steam store algorithm thingy might notice that your game apparently isn't hot trash that nobody wants and will put it in front of a few more people to see if they'll buy it too...
It will probably help chances a lot if you email some journalists and ask them to check out your game and maybe write a little about it. Then you're more likely to have at least a small audience who know you exist. :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184303 on: January 05, 2018, 04:12:57 am »

You have to be careful with the game journalism thing, I've heard about more than one game where when it was greenlit, they managed to get a bunch of articles about it, but then when it was finally for sale, zero interest in writing about it again - because you know, novelty sells views and there are a new bunch of greenlit things by then, and you have an uphill battle getting writers to fit another story in about it.

It's best to get grass-roots word of mouth happening soonest, with a small core of fans of that specific genre, possibly on your own low-key website/forum that serves as a dev blog and bugfix feedback, and only push it to pro-journalists around the time that people can start shelling out actual dollars to play it. "Early Access" through Steam etc can backfire in the same way too, since plenty of people will play your half-made version of the game, and never be enticed to see it again (since they've either seen a crap version of the game, or gotten their fill of the core game mechanics anyway). I'm not 100% on the tactics that work well in Early Access, but I have a feeling it's when you have a solid core of gameplay, but with entire systems deliberately missing. you want the players going "wow this is cool! but I wish I could do X,Y, and Z!" with those features being dribbled out, only when they're good. Basically, don't put half-finished placeholder systems in, omit those future systems completely from the gameplay, and just promise them, or show mock-ups of the feature in non-playable demo videos.

You really don't want the novelty peak hitting too early, before you can actually deliver.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:21:11 am by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #184304 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:16 am »

Northernlion did a talk on using youtubers to market your game, which is probably more likely to be successful.
Pages: 1 ... 12285 12286 [12287] 12288 12289 ... 13326