Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12252 12253 [12254] 12255 12256 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15846560 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: [Ye] Welcome to the bunzone nerd! (Happy thread)
« Reply #183795 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »

Had a close encounter with a robin. Pretty certain the little guy was thinking about landing on me multiple times (as in flew towards my head then back to a stick fence). Then he hopped around in the leaf litter looking for bugs.
It may have also been trying to chase you off. I think that's the more likely goal of diving at your head, compared to trying to land on you. I'd think most bird are smart enough to not think humans are nice places to perch.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183796 on: November 11, 2017, 04:18:12 pm »

It wasn't diving at me, more flying towards my left or right and then back again to its perch. Besides, robins aren't aggressive toward humans and are often seen perched near people (on shovel handles for example) who might turf up bugs or provide food. And my mother has had one land on her hand so as to be the first one to get the day's food for the birds that was being put out (and proceeded to eat from her hand).

Also, the area I was in with the robin is an area where people often feed the birds (mostly the swans, ducks, geese and coots) so if anything it would have seen me as a potential food source (which robins see humans as anyway, well gardeners at least.)
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #183797 on: November 11, 2017, 08:28:36 pm »

Had a close encounter with a robin.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #183798 on: November 11, 2017, 08:56:45 pm »

An amusing toddler story:

My little boy had a (short) screaming tantrum at a restaurant. The reason? He was told he was not allowed to lick the windows.

I tell you the hardest part of raising small children is not reinforcing their bad behavior with laughter.

Kids are insanity.  My younger brother once sobbed uncontrollably for 10 minutes at a restaurant, because he didn't like the way the pepperoni was arranged on his pizza.  Same one also went through a phase where he wouldn't eat anything but grilled cheese sandwiches for a year.  Fast forward to adulthood, and he's a foodie who studies Alton Brown, and will experiment with anything.  So little of kid's ridiculous behavior offers any indication of what they'll be like in 20 years.  Part of the reason why the increasing trend towards medicating away any inconvenient child behavior is horrifying to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183799 on: November 11, 2017, 09:06:41 pm »

Oh man let's not get into the medicating thing in the happy thread, however I will note that the month your were born is strongly predictive of whether you'll be medicated nowadays. Kids born in december are 40% more likely to be medicated than kids born in January. (or something like that). The reason? They divide up kids by year of birth at school and the December-born kids are a full year younger than the January-born kids. So if they're trying to get you to medicate your kid, check how old they are vs the average age in the class. The data is clear evidence that they have in effect pathologized the normal course of human development.

Hell if you want to be really strategic here, you can aim to have your kids born near the beginning of whatever time-period they base your school years on, or delay schooling for 1 year if that would leave them younger than average compared to their peers. e.g. being born in december is a hindrance compared to those born in January, but you can switch that up to an advantage pretty easily - stick them in the next year. They'll have better academic performance, higher confidence, and be taller relative to their peers than otherwise. Being taller in childhood vs your peers is linked to higher career success in adulthood. Since you can rig this merely by choosing when they go into schooling, why not?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:29:43 pm by Reelya »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183800 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:29 pm »

Do we have an overmedication thread?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183801 on: November 11, 2017, 09:17:40 pm »

If there was a thread for that then making a mega-thread for all things medical and neurological would probably be the best, rather than making a thread just about the medication issue.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183802 on: November 12, 2017, 10:38:09 pm »

I do officially have a roommate, and he is successfully moved in.  And we discovered that the Thai place down the street is a whole lot better than the one I lived near before, which was already alright.  Mm, panang curry...

Together with a friend we arranged items of furniture in an aesthetic way, and now the living room actually looks like a place to live instead of a floor containing stuff.  Despite my sexuality I will apparently never understand these dark magicks.  I can tell it looks better though.

We had tea using a kettle that's shaped like a cat.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #183803 on: November 13, 2017, 01:31:03 pm »

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's is, indeed, pretty damn fun for a game that's already almost two years old (I think).

Just performed a rescue operation of a few prisoners, and the op went like something out of an action flick.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #183804 on: November 13, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »

Sweden just kicked some Italian butt in the World Championship qualifications.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #183805 on: November 13, 2017, 05:02:14 pm »

Was hoping for a Gigi header from one of the corners, alas...

Also, does your goalie know how to kick the ball so it stays on the field? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #183807 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:17 pm »

I... I'm so happy right now. This is amazing. It's like condensed goodfeels.
Kind of reminds me of one of the quirkier trailers for some of the 3D Fallout games, what with the cheery music being coupled with the demonstrations of lethal weaponry and such...

I like it!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #183808 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:19 am »

I have found what I guess is a very small mantis, and decided to dedicate 15 minutes to trying to get pictures of it after getting it safely out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183809 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:21 pm »

That little bug made me happy. Thank you :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 12252 12253 [12254] 12255 12256 ... 13326