Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12120 12121 [12122] 12123 12124 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15840998 times)

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Eggplant (Happy thread)
« Reply #181815 on: June 08, 2017, 11:36:39 am »

[insert post about passing an exam here]
Huzzah! Always a happy feeling. Congratulations :)
Thanks! It does feels great to finally have the best case scenario come up in my studies. :)
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #181816 on: June 08, 2017, 03:19:03 pm »

[insert post about passing an exam here]
Huzzah! Always a happy feeling. Congratulations :)
Thanks! It does feels great to finally have the best case scenario come up in my studies. :)

High school or college exam?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181818 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »

Ahh.. It has some parallels with "Ivy league" schools in the US. Gotcha.

Not just a degree, but a degree from an Ivy League school. Higher prestige, more selective on admissions, harder to graduate (at least in theory.)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181819 on: June 09, 2017, 02:56:13 pm »

Maybe I've ingested too much LSD/psilocybin IN THE PAST, but I'm really enjoying watching Dr. strange right now. Also Cumberbatch gives off great pseudo-Aldous Huxley vibes.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181820 on: June 09, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »

Oh yeah, I was surprised to see it on Netflix (time flies and I don't follow new releases) so I watched it a few days ago.  Pretty nice!  I'm not a huge fan of modern superhero movies (I only like them) but I was happy with Deadpool and Dr Strange.  Each had plenty of stuff besides just impressive CG fight scenes.

I didn't even know Dr Strange was going to have so much clockwork-esque environment deformation, I guess I saw literally no trailers of it lol.  Was pleasantly surprised.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181821 on: June 09, 2017, 07:55:15 pm »

More and more US fastfood chains are trying to establish a foothold in the EU.
This goes for the large hamburger chain 'Wendy's' as well.
However, for the past 20 years, Wendy's, which has 6500 restaurants in 30 countries, has failed to be allowed entrance to the EU.

In 2000, a judge ruled that the small town snackbar 'Wendy's' in the Netherlands has older rights to the name than US Wendy's.
The snackbar owner, Raymond Warrens, opened his business in Goes in 1988, and registered the name within the Benelux in 1995.

In 2013, Wendy's (US) tried again, and appealed with the EU court to cancel the brand name rights of Wendy's (the Dutch one).
They argued that it wasn't right that running one small snackbar could classify as 'normal use of brand name'.
Again, the judge ruled against Wendy's (US).

Now, Wendy's (US) has announced it will appeal the verdict.

Wendy's's (the Dutch one) lawyer, Thera Adam, says that Warrens is about to open a second snackbar in Zierikzee. With that, Wendy's (US) cannot use the argument anymore than Wendy's (the Dutch one) is not a chain.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:58:19 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181822 on: June 09, 2017, 08:06:35 pm »

More and more US fastfood chains are trying to establish a foothold in the EU.
This goes for the large hamburger chain 'Wendy's' as well.
However, for the past 20 years, Wendy's, which has 6500 restaurants in 30 countries, has failed to be allowed entrance to the EU.

In 2000, a judge ruled that the small town snackbar 'Wendy's' in the Netherlands has older rights to the name than US Wendy's.
The snackbar owner, Raymond Warrens, opened his business in Goes in 1988, and registered the name within the Benelux in 1995.

In 2013, Wendy's (US) tried again, and appealed with the EU court to cancel the brand name rights of Wendy's (the Dutch one).
They argued that it wasn't right that running one small snackbar could classify as 'normal use of brand name'.
Again, the judge ruled against Wendy's (US).

Now, Wendy's (US) has announced it will appeal the verdict.

Wendy's's (the Dutch one) lawyer, Thera Adam, says that Warrens is about to open a second snackbar in Zierikzee. With that, Wendy's (US) cannot use the argument anymore than Wendy's (the Dutch one) is not a chain.
I...don't think the judge researched that very well. American Wendy's was founded back in the 1960s, roughly 20 years before the snackbar opened and 30 before it registered the name.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181823 on: June 09, 2017, 08:08:38 pm »

yeah but they didn't register it in the EU.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181824 on: June 09, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »

I *guess* that makes sense...

Out of curiosity, why does this whole thing make you happy?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181825 on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:57 pm »

I just like stories of mice scaring elephants, plus the Asterix and Obelix reference gave me fond memories.

And I generally dislike large fastfood chains. They generally make crappy food for excessive prices.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:14:36 pm by martinuzz »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #181826 on: June 09, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »

I just like stories of mice scaring elephants, plus the Asterix and Obelix reference gave me fond memories.

And I generally dislike large fastfood chains. They generally make crappy food for excessive prices.

And Wendy's (US) is especially bad.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181827 on: June 09, 2017, 08:29:31 pm »

Sure, but this entire decision looks really fishy on the part of the EU. It looks very much like they're deliberately trying to keep Wendy's out of the EU, and using any excuse they can do get that ruling.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181828 on: June 09, 2017, 08:37:41 pm »

I may be biased since it's my favorite lazy treat food, but I think Wendy's is objectively one of the best-quality nationwide fast food chains.  I still occasionally try McDonalds for comparison and I can't stand it, everything is too papery and sweetened.  Arby's is probably better, but generally pricier too.  $4 for nuggets, a two-patty sandwich, good fries, and tea isn't a bad deal compared to...  Any restaurant at all?

Moving into a market with an existing trademark like that seems tricky.  Seems to me like the little guy in the EU is technically in the right.  Though surely something like "American Wendy's" wouldn't be confused with such a small fry (heh)

It does seem like they're using it as an excuse to some extend, yeah.  Trademark law can be weird though, I think there were lawsuits a while back about people, actually named McDonald, trying to open their own stores.  Kinda grey area IMHO.

I do appreciate any reference to Asterix and Obelisk, even if it's only vaguely relevant :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181829 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:03 pm »

Sure, but this entire decision looks really fishy on the part of the EU. It looks very much like they're deliberately trying to keep Wendy's out of the EU, and using any excuse they can do get that ruling.
Dunno. It wasn't the EU that objected against Wendy's coming to Europe. It was the guy owning the snackbar in Goes (which he named after his daughter Wendy). The EU has no record of objecting to any chain settling here. In fact 2017 so far has seen more US fastfood chains settle in the Netherlands than any year before.
Dunkin' Donuts, Pizzahut, Taco Bell, Five Guys and TGI Friday have all recently opened shop in the Netherlands, or are about do so in the coming months.

Don't think there's anything fishy, think the guy with the snackbar just has a case. The snackbar is fishy though, it's a fish and chips.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:43:38 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 12120 12121 [12122] 12123 12124 ... 13326