Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11760 11761 [11762] 11763 11764 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15756891 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [*Licklick*] An eyeball or doorknob is fine too (Happy thread)
« Reply #176415 on: October 09, 2016, 06:56:30 pm »

"Because I want to" has always seemed like really flimsy reasoning when it comes to the act of having children. Creating a person, who will be depending on you for everything, not just genetics but raising and molding who they are, and then they will live through all the anguishes of life exactly as you are, until they themselves create on offspring or die... the gravity of that choice seems so significant that I'm stunned that people make it so routinely, and at that why pregnancy is heralded at all as a good thing worth celebration.
Miracle of life has a time window, make the choice or never make it; it's a beautiful thing that life seeps through the cracks of a hostile universe full of so much anguish - in life there is so much possibility. We as humans are informational sluts just seeking more information, but we're more than that - cos the information search must be passed down to future generations. To that end we are crafted by evolution to continue on that path, that we are here is a testament to the countless people who banged before us, with all their joys and melancholy
That's fucking awesome

Shit, if I could go back in time, I'd kill my mother to prevent her from giving birth to me, committing suicide by paradox. She's just always been one of those people who shouldn't have been allowed to have children.
You should make this into a sick book or something, I'd read it

Is that not unfair to the hypothetical child, who didn't ask to be born?
Speaking from my personal experience, wherein I was an accidental birth born to two parents whose deficiencies I knew well, I'm glad as all hell I wasn't aborted
I didn't ask for any of this, but I'm here and I'm going to live :D

Unsustainable growth. We're already well past the point where everyone on the planet can live in an industrialized or post-industrial society. If each person has two children from their own loins who survive to adulthood, that's a slight net increase in global population (due to medical advancements increasing life expectancy). Allow three maximum because some people will only ever have one, some will never reproduce or die before they can, &c. and you're still holding steady.
It's a bit of an issue though, because the only countries that have decreasing populations are industrialized countries and their share of the world population is insignificant; moreover they have created systems that require growing populations whilst ignoring that developing nations have the fastest population growth by far. Thus in developed nations this is a meaningless conundrum, because if you do it for ethical reasons you're just gonna have a growing population anyways because all industrialized nations are pro-immigration, so all you've done is removed yourself from the genepool and ended your family. I see this from a different perspective, if I have more kids in an industrialized nation they're going to have more opportunities born into a better life than most other people on the planet, and they will inherit a greater share of the world from the families who don't have kids of their own

It's socially reprehensible to have more than ~2 children in your lifetime because you're directly contributing to resource depletion, pollution, and myriad other problems. Tragedy of the Commons at work, with the whole Earth as the field in question.
Haha, resources, pollution and such are not problems that can't be solved by humans
Like just look at how much pollution per person is made in the USA vs in Sweden vs in Mongolia
Teaching your children to not be wastrels and to be innovators vs eliminating your family in vain, I see nothing ethical about that

*EDIT
Lol, much the same @Th4DwArfY1, did not see the new posts
maybe we should just make a sick new thread about the ethics of family making and shit

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #176416 on: October 09, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »

I dunno, I don't think a thread focused jointly on families and shit would be very popular.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176417 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:59 pm »

Do it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #176418 on: October 09, 2016, 07:06:18 pm »

I dunno, I don't think a thread focused jointly on families and shit would be very popular.
It could be awesome and

full of ethical posting

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #176419 on: October 09, 2016, 07:10:37 pm »

Got some cheap ass headphones for me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176420 on: October 09, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »

Had a pretty good Birthday! Sang a duet of an appropriate TMBG song with my Dad to a small audience. Visit to the automaton museum was a really good time too. Might share some pictures soon! Also got flirted with/hit on by a slightly flustered clerk behind the counter, which was fun. Might be a year older and a bit of a hot mess, but I still got it. :3

Afterward, I had tasty Sizzling Rice Soup, Crispy Duck, and some Chow Mein with the family, at a very nice Chinese restaurant. There was a moment, after my grandpa with Alzheimer's was reminded of how old I was; he paused to think for a moment once he heard my age, then said "...and [Soli]'s still not married yet?" I thought it was pretty funny, especially once he flashed a big goofy grin. It's always good to see him having a laugh. (P.S. YOU'RE NEVER GETTING BABIES OUT OF ME, SUCKERS!)

My Mom and Step-Dad gave me a gigantic Maitake / Hen Of The Forest mushroom from their recent camping trip... it's like 2 cabbages worth of delicious wild mushroom, and I can't wait to cook it up! They also gave me industrial-strength bags of pintos and brown rice, plus a really pretty star-chart bandanna to go with the one I just got for myself... despite not having told her that. Apparently she still knows me pretty well. :P

Putting off the coming-out discussion for another 2 weeks, until after my cousin's wedding. Mom and I made loose shopping and lunch plans then, and I think that's when I want to talk about it. 1-on-1, where I can explain things as necessary is the best way to do it, I think.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:46:59 pm by Solifuge »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176421 on: October 09, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »

Ooh I have opinions about this!  Personally I-
This is getting a bit heavy for this topic I think. This isn't the place to be saying so and so should of died or not had kids or calling things socially reprehensible.
Yeaah you're really right.  Dang.

I hope someone does make that thread, but it'll probably sink SO fast.  Which I guess is a bad sign for discussing it here.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176422 on: October 09, 2016, 07:44:19 pm »

LW already put it up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176423 on: October 09, 2016, 08:58:30 pm »

I've decided that since I'm going to be disconnecting myself from the internet, I might as well give away all the game keys I've been stashing up from Humble Bundle. Please check out the list in the Sales thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79743.new#new

So, eh, people like free things right?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176424 on: October 09, 2016, 09:49:27 pm »

I went paintballing yesterday for the first time. It was fucking awesome. I was very, very good at it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176426 on: October 10, 2016, 03:41:31 am »

Dug out my cool novelty shot glass from overseas.
What more does one need? :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #176427 on: October 10, 2016, 08:02:49 am »

Etrian Odyssey 5 OST went up on Youtube.  Eeeeeee. 

EDIT: Oh my gosh, I think I'm in love with the new Unrest theme; I'm not quite sure if it tops the Raging Waves, but darned if it isn't right up there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:40:18 am by Culise »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176428 on: October 10, 2016, 08:30:40 am »

Dug out my cool novelty shot glass from overseas.
What more does one need? :D
What's the novelty?
Had one with a spinny divider before, and another one had a spinner, but you had to really whip it to actually take a shot out of it.

Other happies, someone showed me this Film clip (It's electro-swing) a while ago and I keep watching the intro.
Smooth as heck animation.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #176429 on: October 10, 2016, 09:53:24 am »

More happy since hurricane: Turns out my cat survived the storm. We tried to take them with us for evac, but they kept running off every other chance we had. Nice to see the little fuzzball's still alive and in good shape. They're pretty shaken up, but nothing too bad.
Pages: 1 ... 11760 11761 [11762] 11763 11764 ... 13325