Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 [1172] 1173 1174 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771051 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #17565 on: August 22, 2010, 11:11:41 am »

There was some awesome Japanese jazz on in the record shop today and I can't remember who it was by.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17566 on: August 22, 2010, 11:37:53 am »

just had an actual conversation on omegle that didn't go "hi, asl, bye"

here's the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I sense a certain imageboard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17567 on: August 22, 2010, 11:50:31 am »

I'm just hours away from surprising my wife with a birthday dinner with a bunch of our friends. This is the culmination of weeks of planning and clever deception, wherein I made her think that I was trying to surprise her but accidentally let her know about it, and that I did such a halfassed job of it that nobody had enough advance notice to come and so it all fizzled out and I suck.

When in reality, I've had the reservation for weeks and there's like a dozen people waiting to jump out of the woodwork when we get there.

One year for Christmas, I got her a digital camera. But I made her think that I had gotten a mixer that she had commented on liking. So then she felt bad because she wanted the camera, but then felt bad about feeling bad because I *had* listened to her and gotten something she wanted. I even went to the trouble of repurposing an old PC case so that the package would be sufficiently heavy and bulky, with a large box containing a medium box containing a small box holding said camera inside. The progression of looks as she opened it were priceless. It was like ten different shades of "WTF?"

Marriage: You still play mind games with each other, but it's more fun.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17568 on: August 22, 2010, 11:52:17 am »

lol :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17569 on: August 22, 2010, 11:54:26 am »

I have a sig. From forums. Which are these.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:01:42 pm by Ottofar »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17570 on: August 22, 2010, 12:17:44 pm »

wow, I actually met somebody on omegle that I made friends with.

this is so weird.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17571 on: August 22, 2010, 01:14:38 pm »

I had a dream last night about my favorite high school teacher suddenly being Asian and holding a dance party in the (multi-story) chem lab.

Gee willikers.

I'm also playing a game of Mafia over at the xkcd forums, and they thought I was a veteran from Mafiascum ~  It makes me really happy to know that in this short time, I've gone from someone who really can't understand the game at all to someone who is pretty darned good at it :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17572 on: August 22, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

http://www.collectedcurios.com/spiderandscorpion.html

latest strip:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

stupid, utterly retarded, source of many a "lolwut?"
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17573 on: August 22, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »

It makes me really happy to know that in this short time, I've gone from someone who really can't understand the game at all to someone who is pretty darned good at it :3

I might be interested in knowing this secret.  It's occurred to me lately that over a year ago I was bitching about how I knew nothing about Mafia and was a little tired of hearing about it.  At least I got Josh to write a genuine tutorial intro, but I've still never played a game.  I just looked at the Mafia subgroup, and there's like four threads with "Beginner" in the title, but looking at their OPs, they're all riddled with jargon and insider info and themes and stuff.

There's a difference between "Beginner" and "never played before".  Anyone have a recommendation for getting into a mafia game, for someone who literally has no idea how to play and gets frustrated learning?  I'm here all the time anyway, I might as well see what all the fuss has been about for the last year and a half.

I have no idea what I should be happy about today.  I woke up at 1AM with a hangover so bad I couldn't sleep, but I got to feel it go away over the course of like two hours.  That was kind of cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17574 on: August 22, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »

I would join
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17575 on: August 22, 2010, 02:05:43 pm »

It makes me really happy to know that in this short time, I've gone from someone who really can't understand the game at all to someone who is pretty darned good at it :3

I might be interested in knowing this secret.  It's occurred to me lately that over a year ago I was bitching about how I knew nothing about Mafia and was a little tired of hearing about it.  At least I got Josh to write a genuine tutorial intro, but I've still never played a game.  I just looked at the Mafia subgroup, and there's like four threads with "Beginner" in the title, but looking at their OPs, they're all riddled with jargon and insider info and themes and stuff.

There's a difference between "Beginner" and "never played before".  Anyone have a recommendation for getting into a mafia game, for someone who literally has no idea how to play and gets frustrated learning?  I'm here all the time anyway, I might as well see what all the fuss has been about for the last year and a half.

I have no idea what I should be happy about today.  I woke up at 1AM with a hangover so bad I couldn't sleep, but I got to feel it go away over the course of like two hours.  That was kind of cool.

Oh, come on. I started with a bastard mod (a game with modified rules, which the players don't know).

Just get in a beginner's mafia, there are two mafia, and not really that  many roles.

Also, flavor?

Sorry if this post  made no sense, I'm quite sleepy right now.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17576 on: August 22, 2010, 02:08:35 pm »

Don't worry if the game initially SEEMS alien Aqizzar. What it all boils down to is talking, then voting, and then if you're mafia or a special class, you can use your kill/action the following night.

I'll be happy to host a game in a fashion similar to Beginner Mafia, since I already know all the rules and can make something really simple. That way you can join and learn if you really want Aqizzar.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17577 on: August 22, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »

To be honest, I just went in there, flailed around a bit, and came out wiser for it.  I'd never had any exposure to mafia whatsoever, so I just hung in the background for a while, asked questions about what was going on, and in the end managed to struggle my way through.  If you want to read through that game to see what it looks like, it's here.

That said, we're currently making an archive of particularly spectacular games to read through, so that you can see the way things are supposed to look when they're going well.  There's a somewhat steep learning curve, but... it's kind of the way one learns.  If someone uses a term you don't recognize, ask about it.  If you get confused by someone's reasoning, ask about that, too.  Fundamentally, it's about logic and learning how to read between the lines.

Anyway, next time we run a beginner's game, I'll be sure to let you guys know.  I'll also try to get the folks down there to edit their OPs for legibility  ::)  Thanks for the input!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #17578 on: August 22, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »

Sprite spriting.

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17579 on: August 22, 2010, 03:58:51 pm »

My first game was a crazy go nuts variant.  And I subbed in on the last day.  Fortunately, the final mafia member had been made obvious by the previous day's events, so...
Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 [1172] 1173 1174 ... 13325