Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11524 11525 [11526] 11527 11528 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15787322 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #172875 on: June 16, 2016, 03:08:32 pm »

I just had this conversation before with someone else, I haven't the slightest how :x

Shipping is a crush on someone else's behalf, or alternatively an expression of the desire to engineer your environment to its fullest. So all you need to do is find yourself in the company of someone else while also being observed by someone else with a keen interest in other people's business.
That I know, I was sort of bringing up a sort of... ineptness? Inexperience? In more, more basic social (...environments? Situations?) Agh, the general, main idea of the point I'm trying to begin to articulate, that's understood at least, right?
Well the best way to get better at being in social situations is being in social situations. Some people are better at it than others (you bloody extroverts!) but it is a skill, and it's one that can be developed.

One way to get good at talking with the types of folk you find attractive is to find those people in your family or friends and chat away with them. You will find that similar types of people will have similar types of interests, allowing you to add to your encyclopedia of things to discuss with new people. One thing I learned while working in retail is that most people are generally quite happy to go on and on (and on and on...) if you show a little bit of interest in them.

't internet is another way, though the major drawback with that vs. meatspace communication is there is no backspace key in meatspace, and you don't have quite as much time to formulate a reply, so it's basically just a way to get used to communicating with other folk, and a way to start off. B12 is a good place, as the folk around here are generally quite respectful of different views, and there's a feckin' lot of them about.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #172876 on: June 16, 2016, 03:17:44 pm »

ben
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:27:02 pm by Adragis029 »
thincake

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172877 on: June 16, 2016, 03:23:59 pm »

That I know, I was sort of bringing up a sort of... ineptness? Inexperience? In more, more basic social (...environments? Situations?) Agh, the general, main idea of the point I'm trying to begin to articulate, that's understood at least, right?

Oh, that. In addition to developing your skill at reading people by being near other people (a skill that likely gets more difficult to acquire the longer you procrastinate on acquiring it), there's a bunch of things you could try on that front, most of them likely obvious.

Something I've found helpful is the comparison of day-to-day conversation with stand-up comedy. When you watch somebody do stand-up, you are essentially enjoying the privilege of having a fun conversation with no investment on your part. The art of it is being able to carry on an interesting conversation all by yourself, while day-to-day conversation is obviously much easier due to probably having the other person to steer you into directions that they personally find interesting.

Point is, to be interesting (which is a prerequisite to be anything beyond merely accepted by someone else) you need material. Fresh material. Preferably funny or interesting material, too.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #172878 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:58 pm »

dude im like 17 and you're like 15.

i am now the person telling you that it's going to be alright when i was in exactly the same situation two years ago, and when people told me that i didn't believe them, so if you don't believe this i take like no offense at all, and if in two years (or more, or less) time you think "huh i guess he was right" i wont like come out of your closet and yell "TOLD YA" in a loud voice before disappearing in a puff of smoke, ill just be sort of happy for you.

the trick is just to try and hang out with girls more, which sucks bc it's hard if you're a nerd like me and all your hobbies are like, 95% male. so the trick is actually to try and not give a fuck about that, fail, actually give a fuck about that and then go out and do more hobbies anyway. ive expanded my group of friends significantly, went to my first con and taken over the school's chess club with magic the gathering in the last two years, and none of that shit helped me get a date with the girl i currently have a date with. except it did because it was all totally fucking worth it and made me feel more confident about my identity as a huge fucking nerd.

but hey apparently you're bisexual so some of this doesn't apply, im still a hormonal teenager too so i really have no idea how any of this applies to people who aren't me, let alone people with different sexualities.

the gist of it is that you should totally continue giving a fuck about all of this because it is pretty important IF YOU THINK IT'S IMPORTANT but it'll probably be ok. if you see like a chance anywhere to go do something that interests you where you'll know nobody and most other people won't know people either, it might be a good idea to go and do it.

i hope this late night ramble is somehow useful to you, dude

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172879 on: June 16, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »

Oh, that. In addition to developing your skill at reading people by being near other people (a skill that likely gets more difficult to acquire the longer you procrastinate on acquiring it), there's a bunch of things you could try on that front, most of them likely obvious.

Something I've found helpful is the comparison of day-to-day conversation with stand-up comedy. When you watch somebody do stand-up, you are essentially enjoying the privilege of having a fun conversation with no investment on your part. The art of it is being able to carry on an interesting conversation all by yourself, while day-to-day conversation is obviously much easier due to probably having the other person to steer you into directions that they personally find interesting.

Point is, to be interesting (which is a prerequisite to be anything beyond merely accepted by someone else) you need material. Fresh material. Preferably funny or interesting material, too.
I never did see the point behind comparisons other than making things easier to understand, because if two things are different, they're different. I don't watch stand-up comedy much ( I want to now, since you've bought it up ), so maybe it's just that I don't really know much about either of the things you're comparing. It's still a good point, and duly considered. About material, everyone has a different idea of funny and interesting, which is one of many... blocks in progress that I want to make. I still (think) that I see the point you're trying to make. Probably because you've explicitly stated it.

i am now the person telling you that it's going to be alright when i was in exactly the same situation two years ago, and when people told me that i didn't believe them, so if you don't believe this i take like no offense at all, and if in two years (or more, or less) time you think "huh i guess he was right" i wont like come out of your closet and yell "TOLD YA" in a loud voice before disappearing in a puff of smoke, ill just be sort of happy for you.

the trick is just to try and hang out with girls more, which sucks bc it's hard if you're a nerd like me and all your hobbies are like, 95% male. so the trick is actually to try and not give a fuck about that, fail, actually give a fuck about that and then go out and do more hobbies anyway. ive expanded my group of friends significantly, went to my first con and taken over the school's chess club with magic the gathering in the last two years, and none of that shit helped me get a date with the girl i currently have a date with. except it did because it was all totally fucking worth it and made me feel more confident about my identity as a huge fucking nerd.

but hey apparently you're bisexual so some of this doesn't apply, im still a hormonal teenager too so i really have no idea how any of this applies to people who aren't me, let alone people with different sexualities.

the gist of it is that you should totally continue giving a fuck about all of this because it is pretty important IF YOU THINK IT'S IMPORTANT but it'll probably be ok. if you see like a chance anywhere to go do something that interests you where you'll know nobody and most other people won't know people either, it might be a good idea to go and do it.

i hope this late night ramble is somehow useful to you, dude
miauw, this is something I'd like to take to PMs and Steam and stuff, if you have the time. I don't want to... insult (there's a better word to convey my point, but w/e) everyone else who's been trying to help, but this post just... clicks with me, and I'd prefer to respond in some privacy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172880 on: June 16, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »

Damn kids, get the hell off my lawn.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #172881 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:33 pm »

Yeah dude just send those PMs, it's 11 PM here but I'll read and reply tomorrow

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172882 on: June 16, 2016, 04:15:00 pm »

* Koss dances provocatively on the lawn.
WHAT NOW
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #172883 on: June 16, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »

* Koss dances provocatively on the lawn.
WHAT NOW
My father-in-law shoots the pests on his lawn.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172884 on: June 16, 2016, 04:18:23 pm »

Shotgun tiem? Shotgun tiem.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172885 on: June 16, 2016, 04:18:44 pm »

Pah. I'm no pest! I'm a koss. Silly Hector. And max wouldn't use a shotgun-That is for lesser beings.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172886 on: June 16, 2016, 04:20:11 pm »

Exactly.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172887 on: June 16, 2016, 04:23:57 pm »

So you're saying Max is a lesser being, Temp?  :P

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172888 on: June 16, 2016, 04:29:02 pm »

Everything becomes a lesser being with enough vodka.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172889 on: June 16, 2016, 04:39:07 pm »

I don't need shotguns. My guns never run out of ammo.

* MaximumZero flexes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 11524 11525 [11526] 11527 11528 ... 13325