Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778974 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #17085 on: August 18, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »

She never emptied it. Ever. I'm surprised it was only 17.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17086 on: August 18, 2010, 10:10:56 pm »

I thank God every day that i am a only child.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #17087 on: August 18, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »

It adds up when you're absentminded.... I tend to not use uninstallers so I just delete things. But sometimes I forget to hold down shift and it stays around.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17088 on: August 18, 2010, 10:17:33 pm »

Not using uninstallers is bad for the computer. Uninstilation via a pre-packaged uninstaller or the control panel takes everything out (in theory) while deletion causes the registry files to remain.  Not only are unused registry files harmful, but they make any future installations of the same product harder, because the computer still thinks it has the original.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17089 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »

Orphan registry entries make 64-bit Jesus cry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #17090 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »

No I clean them myself. I just don't use uninstallers since I wanna control what gets removed.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17091 on: August 18, 2010, 10:23:14 pm »

Messes your registry up pretty bad. Uninstallers exist for a reason :P

I still have this broken copy of The Temple Of Elemental Evil on my program list that got jerked by a careless system restore. The game files got effed up in the proccess and the uninstaller won't work, so I deleted the folder, but it remains in the list and refuses to be removed from it. I should use a registry cleaning tool and see if that works, or search for the entry manualy, but thats a pain.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17092 on: August 18, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »

I actually have a program called Revo Uninstaller that scans your computer for leftover folders, files and registry items from the program you are uninstalling. The only problem is that if you have some registry items leftover from a program it doesn't count it as a program, and this you need to install the program again to make the uninstaller see it. And due to registry shenanigans, that isn't always an option.

On a completely related note, fuck you Norton, again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17093 on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »

I once considered trying to alter a virus's registry files (I knew for certain that it was the correct file from an antivirus site.) so that I could force it to uninstall itself. I reconsidered, however, because my actions were going to be guess work. I was just feeling sadistic about it, because Kaspersky hadn't been updated to deal with it yet, so I had to deal with the damn thing for a few days (ah the power of end task).

I had found it's uninstaller file in the registry, and saw it had "No edit" and "No uninstall" values to it. I figured that if I removed these, the Control Panel would let me uninstall it instead of redirecting me to it when I tried (it was a fake antivirus virus.). Anyone with formal computer training think it would have worked?

Oh, and fuck CA antivirus as well. It was almost as useless as the tales I've heard about Norton AntiVirus.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17094 on: August 18, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »

On a completely related note, fuck you Norton, again.

This really can't be said enough times.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17095 on: August 18, 2010, 10:36:04 pm »

Any virus protection you don't pay for is generally shit, and half of the ones you pay top dollar for are also....shit. Spybot Search and Destroy is the only one I've consistently re-downloaded over the years. Hijackthis too, but that's more evil BHOs than actual virus killing.

I've had more luck chasing down individual files and renaming them to remove them, than I've had with almost all antivirus programs.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17096 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:25 pm »

Norton is as useless as a body armor made of pancake, wait, scratch that, at least you can eat said armor.

Anyway, I used to remove viruses manualy myself by terminating the proccess and deleting their file directly from system root, but that would only work so much since I was never great at manualy finding registry entries. However, I was still at least 3x more useful then norton ever was. It works against most net viruses anyway, just not against specialy clever ones.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17097 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:41 pm »

Barbarian Onslaught: Secret of Steel is fun!

dismembering orcs and goblins with a *Iron 2h Sword* is fun!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17098 on: August 18, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

I get stopped short by the ones that get loaded as .dlls or invisible processes. Because they're in use you can't fuck with them.

But booting in safe mode usually solves that. If it doesn't, or if the virus has made any significant administrative level changes, I just say fuck it and reformat.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17099 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:56 pm »

Orphan registry entries make 64-bit Jesus cry.
Bah. Just use CCleaner to remove them all.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 13325