Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11385 11386 [11387] 11388 11389 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746260 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #170790 on: April 10, 2016, 09:55:33 am »

I got Time Shift working last night and stayed up late to beat it again.  It's surprisingly good looking and innovative for a game that got like no press.  I think it's the Quake 4 engine, which explains the visuals, but they put more effort into the story than I'd expect.  Flashbacks, NPC dialogues, dissidents getting carted off...

All this in 1930 but with futuristic technology introduced by an evil time traveler.  So 30's culture with futuristic weapons.  Reminded me of Half Life 2 a bit.  Except instead of waiting for NPCs to dump exposition then remove barricades, your Google-esque onboard AI says something like "Ballistic threat detected" right before a tank crashes through a wall, and you have to slow time to run past it without getting asploded.

And instead of the gravity gun, you can stop time briefly.  Letting you run up to enemies and take their weapons.  Or if you get stuck with a sticky grenade, you can *reverse* time and the grenade will fly back off (and the enemies will run backward too).  Lots of puzzles that use those mechanics as well.  It doesn't make perfect sense, but I do like that stopping time makes water solid and protects you from heat.

And the guns!  This is back when every shooter needed to have an array of wildly different weapons, some of which are janky.  Most of them end up being pretty useful in different situations, though, since is a good mix of open areas, trench warfare, urban alleys/plazas, and tight corridors.  (The crossbow that shoots exploding bolts was a bit OP though...  Well, but only with slow-time active!  Since the bolts fly relatively slowly, and at close range the explosion hurts you too)

Also, I don't usually like turret sections, but it helps to be in a futuristic zeppelin.  With the AI giving neat damage reports on its systems.  Also, zippy enemy jets are a lot less annoying when you can slow time.  Frustration turns into glee.

It's a shame they're still charging $20 for a 2006 game, though, and I don't think it ever goes on sale :/

Vector is literally my type but I like masculine people and I don't know if that's what they want.
Ditto...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170791 on: April 10, 2016, 10:18:18 am »

I was ready to spend all day doing frustrating debugging and coding in order to finish a program for my data structures class, as last night I just kinda ground to a stop and spent hours hunting for why it wasn't running correctly.
Got up this morning and got back at it, right away find the last couple things wrong with the first of two parts in about 45 minutes, then started on the second, smaller, part and got it almost entirely correct on the first shot and ended up finishing it entirely in less than half an hour, where the first part took around 10.
Now I'm just sitting in my freezing cold dorm with a fuzzy blanket and a hot cup of coffee.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170792 on: April 10, 2016, 10:27:58 am »

Watching a horde of overpowered (but slightly stupid) paladins do their job is excellent entertainment, especially if you know what they should do at any point, because you've coded their AI yourself.

Now, to think how to implement the learning component... so that the paladins will get more overpowered over time, muahaha!
The real question is:
What's a paladin?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #170793 on: April 10, 2016, 11:01:22 am »

Defender of the faith.

Otherwise a tank or a healer.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170794 on: April 10, 2016, 11:15:54 am »

Occasionally an armored cleric with more rules attached, too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170795 on: April 10, 2016, 11:23:19 am »

Watching a horde of overpowered (but slightly stupid) paladins do their job is excellent entertainment, especially if you know what they should do at any point, because you've coded their AI yourself.

Now, to think how to implement the learning component... so that the paladins will get more overpowered over time, muahaha!
The real question is:
What's a paladin?

Betrayal!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #170796 on: April 10, 2016, 11:25:53 am »

A miserable pile of prayers?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170797 on: April 10, 2016, 11:42:49 am »

Teh reference: https://youtu.be/mQUVfo_kBMU?t=1913
Warning: Amusingly excessive obscenity, also a really entertaining channel
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170798 on: April 10, 2016, 12:02:33 pm »

The real question is:
What's a paladin?

Betrayal!
There we go.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #170799 on: April 10, 2016, 12:42:44 pm »

The real question is:
What's a paladin?

One of the twelve foremost knights of Charlemagne's court?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #170800 on: April 10, 2016, 12:49:45 pm »

My pal, Adin?
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170801 on: April 10, 2016, 01:14:39 pm »

I got to kick a door open today. A fireproof plate steel door, at that. I feel better after doing so.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170802 on: April 10, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »

...Why? Not that it's not incredibly fucking awesome, but why?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170803 on: April 10, 2016, 01:25:19 pm »

The door to our super secret room where we keep the expensive stuff at work was jammed shut.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170804 on: April 10, 2016, 01:29:48 pm »

MZero got to kick open a door!
Woo!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 11385 11386 [11387] 11388 11389 ... 13325