Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11331 11332 [11333] 11334 11335 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746294 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #169980 on: March 20, 2016, 05:20:34 am »

I've noticed a lot of ennui in a lot of people over the past year or so. Many people, at least/especially in America, having gotten into the habit of finding learning boring, and of avoiding work as much as possible. Many of them seem to be in the process of dealing with college or, worse, past it. This leaves them with no real idea of what to do, and a misguided impression that they don't want to do anything. By the time they realize that isn't really the case, they're kinda stuck in a rut, one which is very difficult to get out of.

I personally ended up experiencing much of the same thing, except during what would have been my high school years if I wasn't a weird homeschooled introvert. This, as it turns out, was a very good thing. I've had the opportunity to basically dick around on the computer with youtube and vidjagaems 18/7 for several years now, and it isn't, in fact, what I want, what with the creeping cloud of depression and anxiety. The good thing is that I came to that decision at age 17, just getting into community college, rather than age 29, just getting into the beginnings of middle age.

At this point, I'm hugely enjoying school, becoming involved with people and groups I find interesting, and generally well-to-do psychologically and physically.

My happy, I suppose, is that not only am I enjoying the educational system, not only am I finally doing something, not only am I far more competent socially and educationally than might reasonably be expected, but that I have gained a sense of purpose, of not only wanting to do things, but of having the drive to do them.

I have been, to conclude, happier in the past four months than the previous five years, and things are looking only upward.

Hell. Fucking. Yes.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169981 on: March 20, 2016, 05:39:18 am »

I've noticed a lot of ennui in a lot of people over the past year or so. Many people, at least/especially in America, having gotten into the habit of finding learning boring, and of avoiding work as much as possible. Many of them seem to be in the process of dealing with college or, worse, past it. This leaves them with no real idea of what to do, and a misguided impression that they don't want to do anything. By the time they realize that isn't really the case, they're kinda stuck in a rut, one which is very difficult to get out of.

I personally ended up experiencing much of the same thing, except during what would have been my high school years if I wasn't a weird homeschooled introvert. This, as it turns out, was a very good thing. I've had the opportunity to basically dick around on the computer with youtube and vidjagaems 18/7 for several years now, and it isn't, in fact, what I want, what with the creeping cloud of depression and anxiety. The good thing is that I came to that decision at age 17, just getting into community college, rather than age 29, just getting into the beginnings of middle age.

At this point, I'm hugely enjoying school, becoming involved with people and groups I find interesting, and generally well-to-do psychologically and physically.

My happy, I suppose, is that not only am I enjoying the educational system, not only am I finally doing something, not only am I far more competent socially and educationally than might reasonably be expected, but that I have gained a sense of purpose, of not only wanting to do things, but of having the drive to do them.

I have been, to conclude, happier in the past four months than the previous five years, and things are looking only upward.

Hell. Fucking. Yes.

Congratulations. I've experienced the same thing once and even though college can get daunting, it's not something I would discard for another hour of vidyagaem. I realize that I've grown too attached to my friends IRL that I can't foresee a life without having another friend made to talk to - drink with or otherwise enjoy after graduation of college.

Loathe I am to admit, I am getting rather teary-eyed at the prospect of leaving college to work, because I'll be missing a lot of experiences that only college offered to me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #169983 on: March 20, 2016, 10:32:28 am »

-happy snop-
Hooray! All of those are good feelings (and my happy is that I know them from experience, save that I had the same realization as you only after college >_>)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #169984 on: March 20, 2016, 11:42:32 am »

So this thread made me remember I do in fact have Undertale and start playing it (previously the super ultra ugly art had put me off, but since my computer got all wonky and can't access it's memory properly or something the low-graphic is actually what enables me to post it now).

It's a pretty nice little game. Better than I expected it to be (I thought it was going to turn out to be very overhyped), but so far I am not seeing anything revolutionary about it - I'm not sure how far I've actually gotten in it yet though.
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #169985 on: March 20, 2016, 12:40:16 pm »

So it's been resolved, finally. I won't go into details since the story is kinda too long, but the short of it is, I've finally moved on from a person that means a lot to me. It was an amicable closure to a rather turbulent year and I feel like things are looking up, even though I'll be moving ahead without them I'm not afraid that much because I know that they'll always be somewhere in this world and I think that's enough for now.

On to new adventures I guess :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169987 on: March 20, 2016, 04:33:24 pm »

So it's been resolved, finally. I won't go into details since the story is kinda too long, but the short of it is, I've finally moved on from a person that means a lot to me. It was an amicable closure to a rather turbulent year and I feel like things are looking up, even though I'll be moving ahead without them I'm not afraid that much because I know that they'll always be somewhere in this world and I think that's enough for now.

On to new adventures I guess :)
Yay! :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #169988 on: March 20, 2016, 04:46:09 pm »

Another book review down, another to go, plus two tests; one of those I can do at home, the other I will find out if it's also the case in two days. After that, some long delayed two/three weeks of vacation.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #169989 on: March 20, 2016, 07:58:45 pm »

Huzzah, i have handled TWO social events this weekend without my bowels flipping out! I mean, they're kind of cranky right now, but given what they've been through today, that doesn't really surprise me. In fact, compared to the last time i went to a social feasting event, this is downright mild, and situated AFTER the event, which i am grateful for. Why? Because FOOD WAS DELICIOUS. Also cake. Shook likes cake. Shook should by all means be a fatass, but third-person Shook apparently doesn't store much fat at all. I'm fine with that, it gives me an excuse to stuff my face with vanilla-laden cake. :v
On top of that, my extended family is a nice bunch of people to be around. Judging by both my dad and his brother, i think it's fair to say that goofiness lies in the family, so i kind of wonder what my grandparents were like in their younger years. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #169991 on: March 20, 2016, 11:19:41 pm »

Due to a number of reasons, I'm actually feeling the happiest I have been in a while now, and I think I'm finally okay with my current circumstances.

Things are going my way for once, and I don't feel the paranoia that this means they're gonna go wrong soon, which is a change.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169992 on: March 20, 2016, 11:27:08 pm »

As per WTF thread, had to switch from Pale Moon to Cyberfox because of more Google bullshit. But Cyberfox is apparently amazing, best Firefox branch I've used yet. And there's a new, ideologically-driven adblocker out too!

eeeeeee one of the default features is an icon that shows which tabs are producing sound
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:15:25 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #169993 on: March 21, 2016, 01:41:24 am »

firefox and chrome both have that by default

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169994 on: March 21, 2016, 02:02:24 am »

Yeah, but I've been running on less-privacy-invading browsers (which tends to correlate with "outdated" and "poor UI") for a while now, most of which you'll feel lucky about if you can configure them to have a "new tab" button on the tab bar and similar.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 11331 11332 [11333] 11334 11335 ... 13325