Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11261 11262 [11263] 11264 11265 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15741638 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #168930 on: February 23, 2016, 12:13:28 am »

The best way I've heard later-period cavalry described is that there was still the need in warfare for a cavalry unit, but horse cavalry were no longer up to the task.

...and that's why WW1 lasted so long.  Also the reason why literal horse cavalry units were still being deployed in WW1.  Hilariously enough, also in WW2, although I assume those dismounted before entering combat.  Although now I'm imaging Russian cavalry engaging German tanks from horseback with AT weapons.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168931 on: February 23, 2016, 12:17:01 am »

The best way I've heard later-period cavalry described is that there was still the need in warfare for a cavalry unit, but horse cavalry were no longer up to the task.
I'm now imagining a world where genetic engineering came around 5 centuries early, and later-period cavalry units started riding mutant houndbeasts from Hell.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #168932 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:34 am »

Well near Krojanty in 1939 polish calvary rather famously decimated an infantry unit, but got chased away by an advancing group of armor scouts. So there was still some use to them. They actually carried anti tank rifles along with their other weapons too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #168933 on: February 23, 2016, 12:22:47 am »

Cavalry were normally used for flanking and harassing the sides/back of an army, because charging the front tended to get your horses riddled with bullets and cannonballs.
They're pretty powerful in the right place, but you get a better manpower:money ratio by just handing out guns to a bunch of dudes and telling them to walk in a line.

You try hitting a horse with a fekking cannon. Thing is gonna move, especially with some Knight asshole on the back. What is he doing? It's the 21st century, you pothead! Get off that horse and get a JOB already!
Fun fact: The NZ army currently has a horse-mounted cavalry regiment.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #168934 on: February 23, 2016, 12:26:55 am »

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #168935 on: February 23, 2016, 12:27:32 am »

Yeah, I can see properly armed cavalry operating as rapid scouts or anti-vehicle teams in conditions similar to the inter-war period, where the doctrine of mobility has started to resurface but vehicles are still not incredibly reliable, fuel is relatively scarce, and roads tend to be very rough (by modern standards). The problem is that that's not really where they saw use; WWI was a continuation and worsening of the military paradigm which had persisted since the Renaissance (in the sense of being extremely hostile to cavalry--the advent of cannons shifted things away from static defenses, but the advances that piled up prior to WWI pushed things back in the other direction). Meanwhile, when WWII came around, armored vehicles had become reliable enough to replace cavalry on the ground, and aircraft were likewise advanced enough to cover any gaps in those roles while adding other uses.

Basically by WWII horse cavalry simply had newer, better alternatives for every role, except as an element in partisan warfare where the horses are used as cross-country transport but the fighters dismount well before battle.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #168936 on: February 23, 2016, 12:39:27 am »

Besides, you're normally not trying to hit one horse with one cannon.  You're normally firing a whole battery of artillery at a charging regiment of cavalry, which is a distinctly bigger target with much more chances to hit *something* worthwhile. 

But yeah, cavalry still exists even today.  A few parade regiments aside, it mostly just rides in helicopters or tanks rather than being little squishies on bigger squishies.  As Flying Dice says, the interwar period mostly saw cavalry relegated to dragoon status.  This sort of use is also where the myth of Polish cavalry charging German tanks came from, but Gunner-Chan also already brought the reality behind the myth to light.  Horses also continued to see use in logistics where they preferably weren't being shot at on a regular basis unless things went distinctly sour (the Germans, for instance, had a much lower rate of mechanization than the vaunted origins of the blitzkrieg would suggest, bringing 600-700 thousand horses for Barbarossa).

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168937 on: February 23, 2016, 12:42:38 am »

Cavalry were normally used for flanking and harassing the sides/back of an army, because charging the front tended to get your horses riddled with bullets and cannonballs.
They're pretty powerful in the right place, but you get a better manpower:money ratio by just handing out guns to a bunch of dudes and telling them to walk in a line.

You try hitting a horse with a fekking cannon. Thing is gonna move, especially with some Knight asshole on the back. What is he doing? It's the 21st century, you pothead! Get off that horse and get a JOB already!
Fun fact: The NZ army currently has a horse-mounted cavalry regiment.
Point stands: NZ army needs to get a job.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #168938 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:57 am »

Royal Canadian Mounted Police?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #168939 on: February 23, 2016, 01:20:37 am »

I assume they ride geese instead.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #168940 on: February 23, 2016, 01:23:35 am »

Moose, actually.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168941 on: February 23, 2016, 01:30:42 am »

...do
Do you think they actually ride the horses much anymore? Any time they do it's in the places you can't exactly get a car to. As far as I'm aware, that title is a formality.
As for riding moose, that would kill you. The moose would instead attempt to ride you.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168942 on: February 23, 2016, 01:35:50 am »

Attempt and succeed.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #168943 on: February 23, 2016, 01:38:30 am »

As for riding moose, that would kill you. The moose would instead attempt to ride you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #168944 on: February 23, 2016, 01:42:24 am »

It would be sort of like hot newfoundland-on-chihuahua action.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 11261 11262 [11263] 11264 11265 ... 13325