Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11058 11059 [11060] 11061 11062 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15750689 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: [🐌] Goat Moms sweet sugary ASS thread. (Happy thread)
« Reply #165885 on: December 06, 2015, 11:47:57 am »

The other day an adventurer came and ransacked my place.
1 like = 1 reanimation
Now my headcanon is that the gesture necros use to reanimate dead is giving them a thumbs up.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165886 on: December 06, 2015, 12:32:27 pm »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #165887 on: December 06, 2015, 12:51:17 pm »

Clearly a prelude to the incoming zombie apocalypse. Once enough necromantic power is amassed, the dead shall rise en masse from their graves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165888 on: December 06, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »

Everyone at my fort loves to read this one page book on the construction and use of the funnel.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165889 on: December 06, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #165890 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:04 pm »

I watched 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog'. And I LOVED IT. :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165891 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:57 pm »

I've always wondered, what is the problem with necromancy? If it's the zombies, most of the time they're just mindless meat robots, and their former owners are rarely around to really care. The worst I can really see is the economic issue caused by having a bunch of unpaid, mindless, tireless laborers around - and in some ways that could be a good thing.

And anyhow, the root of the word "necromancy" really means communicating with the dead, not zombies.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #165892 on: December 06, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »

I watched 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog'. And I LOVED IT. :D
Good on you. One of my favorite movies.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #165893 on: December 06, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »

I've always wondered, what is the problem with necromancy? If it's the zombies, most of the time they're just mindless meat robots, and their former owners are rarely around to really care. The worst I can really see is the economic issue caused by having a bunch of unpaid, mindless, tireless laborers around - and in some ways that could be a good thing.

And anyhow, the root of the word "necromancy" really means communicating with the dead, not zombies.
Probably cultural/religious reasons. Desecrating the dead and all that. Also I guess a real walking, necrotic corpse would be kinda scary.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #165894 on: December 06, 2015, 04:08:19 pm »

Well, it depends on the system, really. In some cases, the dead are powered by Evil as a natural force a'la DnD, minor demons running as the body OS, whatever, and in some mythologies, similarly, anything that will come back from the dead is either evil or just plain pissed off - others will just fuck off to Heaven or otherwise afterlife.

In some others, the dead are not evil, but the process is. Either you're essentially soul-raping ghosts back into corpses or something, or it's not but the way it's done requires immoral means, like, say, human sacrifice or, for Haitan zombies, poisoning someone (some crossover with the first one; in some legends it's sucking souls out through a straw under the house door).

Then you have all the actual stuff being morally grey, but the people engaging in it are predominantly bad, so it kinda becomes guilt by association. I remember a /tg/ story about a good necromancer who essentially had to deal with his mostly senile and metabolically challenged relatives more along the lines of talking on the phone to your grandpa.

As far as IRL stuff goes, the original meaning is very much a cultural thing. It was a normal thing in some pagan societies; Judaism banned that kinda thing to differentiate themselves from their neighbors, Christianity and Islam did it to root out the old faiths' practices, I don't know enough about the culture in other circles well enough to comment.

Hell, oldschool Necromancy pops up in the Old Testament, with, IIRC, King Saul trying to magic-Skype a dead prophet to ask him something or another and succeeding, except the prophet told him to go fuck himself. And of course, around fin de siecle-ish a whole bunch of people got duped into giving money to mediums, which are pretty much a modern rename.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #165895 on: December 06, 2015, 06:55:10 pm »

Oh what the fuck how was I this productive today
BRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #165896 on: December 06, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »

HHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

oh my

So today we had some festivities for my dad's birthday, which was pretty neat and all, and i once more didn't end up vomiting or anything so that's cool too. The most important part, however, is that i happened to converse with a couple of the guests about my lack of study and general direction in life, and then they gave some very nice input: folk high school. Won't give me a degree, sure, but here's the thing: it can go on my CV, and there's a SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN. Given that i'd like to work with games (more specifically game graphics, but still), this could be a really cool thing. I know it's way too early to get hyped, but i haven't felt this kind of excitement for years! :D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #165897 on: December 06, 2015, 06:59:08 pm »

Fuck yeah Shook, get hype get productive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165898 on: December 06, 2015, 07:17:14 pm »

A corpse just walking around and working as it did in life would probably spread some nasty diseases.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #165899 on: December 06, 2015, 07:25:32 pm »

Eh, it depends on how long the corpse was dead. I saw some zombies around the emergency room a week ago. They just recovered all of the faculties of life.

Besides, from a biological point, whether or not a person would be resurrected with any common memory or neural material would depend entirely upon the length of time they were dead for.

The immune system would have to recover for any sustained life to be continue. This would mean that eventually the corpses would only end up as terribly scarred creatures, rather than rotting ones.

Resurrecting a corpse past a certain point essentially requires building a new human body over a skeleton, so that wouldn't be disease infested.

Anything else is just puppeting a corpse. That's disgusting and pointless.
Pages: 1 ... 11058 11059 [11060] 11061 11062 ... 13325