Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10754 10755 [10756] 10757 10758 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15766386 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] The deadly game of poi (Happy thread? Poi! B.. Baka!)
« Reply #161325 on: August 11, 2015, 03:53:49 pm »

People who have washed their cars, I think he means.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161326 on: August 11, 2015, 03:54:00 pm »

1. you said "and" at the end, meaning that an individual needs to fit all of those criteria
2. the class of people who have washed their cars probably did not exist before 1886
3. 50% of the human population who has washed a car is probably alive now

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #161327 on: August 11, 2015, 03:54:52 pm »

1. Oh,
2. fair
3. enough.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161328 on: August 11, 2015, 04:19:02 pm »

Also, 100% of people who brush their teeth, wash their cars, have showers, have their hair cut, shave, eat, and drink died too.

We must give up all of these things.
99.99%, actually. We haven't died yet.
As mentioned earlier, it's 93% for the ancient stuff like eating and drinking, less for some of the more modern things (looking at you, car-washing).
Therefore scientifically proven that doing more modern things makes you less likely to die?

Also no idea how many forum people actually know about [abbr.] Until they quote this, I guess.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #161329 on: August 11, 2015, 04:25:02 pm »

Also no idea how many forum people actually know about [abbr.] Until they quote this, I guess.
What's that?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #161330 on: August 11, 2015, 04:26:10 pm »

Makes little underlines to show that a word will display additional text if you mouse over it. Not widely known since there's no button for it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161331 on: August 11, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »

So 50% of the human population is alive now, all in one go? When you think of the amount of time the human race has been around, I'd say that's exceedingly unlikely.
Yep, the myth that "more humans are alive now than in all of time before [arbitrary date]" has been propagated as a scare story by eco-nuts (and eugenicists) concerned about overpopulation. Which is a genuine issue, but not in the parts of the world where people have the money and free time to use the internet and do eco-campaigning.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #161332 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:35 pm »

IIRC the number of dead humans is somewhere around 50 billion?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #161333 on: August 11, 2015, 04:38:14 pm »

What's that?
Its abbr, of course.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #161334 on: August 11, 2015, 04:55:06 pm »

IIRC the number of dead humans is somewhere around 50 billion?
Most estimates place the total number in the 100-115 billion range, which means the number of dead humans is probably in the 93-108 billion range.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161335 on: August 11, 2015, 04:55:26 pm »

It's 6.5% still alive, quick google says as much.

Which, honestly, still a huge number, considering that's 80-100 years (lifetime of the oldest average human) compared to... Well, I'm not sure. Anywhere from 200 thousand years to millions.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #161336 on: August 11, 2015, 05:00:59 pm »

6000 years Bible guesstimate confirmed as truth by Science!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #161337 on: August 11, 2015, 05:07:22 pm »

Which, honestly, still a huge number, considering that's 80-100 years (lifetime of the oldest average human) compared to... Well, I'm not sure. Anywhere from 200 thousand years to millions.
You've got your upper and lower limits a bit mixed up there. :P Our current estimates for the first "anatomically modern" humans (as in Homo sapiens sapiens, which is what we all are today and is the best spot to delineate), are 190,000 to 200,000 years ago.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161338 on: August 11, 2015, 05:08:52 pm »

It relies a lot on what you consider human.  The lines between species are blurry even in a given instant, as many species are able to interbreed to some extent.  It only gets more complicated as you add the passage of time.  It's not like an ape had a human baby.  Apes and us have common ancestors.

A quick Google shows this, I think the URL speaks for itself:
http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/oldest-art-was-carved-onto-shell-540000-years-ago-141203.htm
Which is crazy because the oldest cave paintings (which are something approaching a qualification of humanity) seem to be about 40,000 years old.  But, other modern primates can do sign language and paint (if we give them paint).  When did we become humans?

None of that matters of course, we're reproducing exponentially and are probably doomed to another massive die-off.
Sorry, this is the happy thread.  Um... I'm sure we'll come up with a solution which meets all our needs without requiring any FLIPPING RESTRAINT.
Everything will work out
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161339 on: August 11, 2015, 05:12:51 pm »

You've got your upper and lower limits a bit mixed up there. :P Our current estimates for the first "anatomically modern" humans (as in Homo sapiens sapiens, which is what we all are today and is the best spot to delineate), are 190,000 to 200,000 years ago.
Considering the first number I said was "200 000" and I was including non-Sapiens Homo's in that second number as I was unsure what was included in that "how many humans have ever lived," I don't think I mixed up anything.

Edit: My current favourite is methods of immortality that preclude reproduction. Especially if they're things that drastically cut down on resource usage (compare agriculture to a solar panel per brain-pan :P) But we'll find ways around that, I'm sure. Freezing eggs, sub-class of mortals that breed, we'll figure out a way to fuck us all up. I'm hoping to be off-world by the time that happens though :P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:14:31 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 10754 10755 [10756] 10757 10758 ... 13325