Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10533 10534 [10535] 10536 10537 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15904262 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] Yuudachi vs the fanpois (Happy thread? Poi?)
« Reply #158010 on: May 28, 2015, 11:29:19 am »

And Cinder used to be called Objective?

Oh, that explains a lot. The avatar change is what really threw me off.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158011 on: May 28, 2015, 11:29:33 am »

The "click" moment with guitar or other coordination skills is not about knowledge. It's about muscle memory. It's more about hitting the point that you no longer need to think about what you are doing, you just do it. This is required because conscious decision making about which note to hit cannot keep up with the speed at which you must hit notes.

This goes a long way towards explaining how people can play guitar and sing without being wizards.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #158012 on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:03 am »

The "click" moment with guitar or other coordination skills is not about knowledge. It's about muscle memory. It's more about hitting the point that you no longer need to think about what you are doing, you just do it. This is required because conscious decision making about which note to hit cannot keep up with the speed at which you must hit notes.

This goes a long way towards explaining how people can play guitar and sing without being wizards.

Being a wizard probably helps though.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158013 on: May 28, 2015, 11:54:28 am »

Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #158014 on: May 28, 2015, 12:00:32 pm »

There is no hypothetical wall where you can't understand what you're doing until you get past the wall.

Because it's not about understanding what you're doing. I can fully understand what I'm supposed to do to pull off an extremely complex arpeggio, but that doesn't mean that I can do it. And there are plenty of examples where I've heard guitarist friends pull off some mad shit, and you ask them how they did it, and they kind of blank out and are not actually sure. Trying to consciously replicate what they do by instinct actually hinders performance.

Maybe guitar is different to flute for this, but there isn't a muscle memory "click" either. :v

Your muscle memory just gets increasingly good. I can play without having to think about it, but I'll make quite a few mistakes and stuff. I've yet to find a point of sudden increased skill, and I've been playing for years.

There's also point where you are able to play things that sound nice in a nice-sounding way, but it doesn't happen instantly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #158015 on: May 28, 2015, 12:05:56 pm »

There is no hypothetical wall where you can't understand what you're doing until you get past the wall.
Because it's not about understanding what you're doing. I can fully understand what I'm supposed to do to pull off an extremely complex arpeggio, but that doesn't mean that I can do it. And there are plenty of examples where I've heard guitarist friends pull off some mad shit, and you ask them how they did it, and they kind of blank out and are not actually sure. Trying to consciously replicate what they do by instinct actually hinders performance.
Oh, well yeah. Muscle memory is a big part of it, but that just comes from regularly practicing. Practice a technique or song enough and you'll get it eventually. It helps to know what you should be practicing and why, or why a song is played like it is, or how the position of the fingers on the strings on the frets can go most efficiently from note to note and why, etc. When actually playing, you want to rely on muscle memory.
I disagree. Pure 'hammered-in' fingering is... not good. It gets you over a hard passage, but it's cheated - you're bypassing your brain, essentially, and that's a bad thing - you don't learn the underlying idea, you just hard-wire a certain set of motions in a certain position; if you try to play the same thing in a different way (same notes, just in other positions) your brain and your fingers are trying to do different things at the same time - and like you said yourself, you *cannot* reliably reproduce it, because the act of trying to do it consciously fucks it up. Mind you - this is trying to run on pure muscle memory, not playing something a couple times to get the idea and figure out FINGARS WAT DO.

If you practice and learn theory you actually will see your processing speed get better if you play in real time with the song - you will hit more and more notes on time and will feel less overwhelmed. It's subtle, because it doesn't feel different to you - you will just feel like you have more time between the notes. One of the weirdest things I've ever felt is when in the middle of playing, that processing overdrive shut down for me - I felt as if the song sped up but the tempo didn't change, I just felt like I can't catch up with the song.

On a tangential note, according to my Biophysics and Bioacoustics (two courses) professor, there are notable physical changes in the brains of musically trained people - not just stuff like sending some signals to analytical parts of the brain, but things like all-round lower threshold for stimulation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #158016 on: May 28, 2015, 12:18:01 pm »

I was trying to say that muscle memory is important, but it's also important to understand music theory and how the guitar works and stuff besides just practicing for the sake of memorizing muscle memory.

Like, when I play, there's what my hands are doing, that's muscle memory and what's being done now, which I'm not thinking about. I think about what comes next and how to transition from where I'm at now to where I need to be.

Like, if I'm playing an open E on the sixth string, and the next note is a G on the third fret of the sixth string, and I'm transitioning from open E to fretted G, I'm not thinking about where the G is in relation to E because I'm already doing it. If the next note is A, I have the option of moving to 5th fret 6th string, or playing an open 5th string for A, and that would be what I'm thinking of while playing E to G. If there's a predominant way that I transitioned from G to A when practicing, then I'd most likely choose that one from muscle memory, but I could choose an alternate method if I wanted to improvise a little and, say, play some of the song solely on the 6th string. So it's a mix of playing by muscle memory and thinking what to do next that would fit in the song.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #158017 on: May 28, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:12:54 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158018 on: May 28, 2015, 12:50:33 pm »

I think the point attempted to get across was muscle memory from chord to chord. Like making a macro so that your fingers automatically do 'this' when your brain thinks 'E'.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #158019 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:56 pm »

I think the point attempted to get across was muscle memory from chord to chord. Like making a macro so that your fingers automatically do 'this' when your brain thinks 'E'.
Basically. Except also knowing why the macro is what is is and how to make different macros that can also get 'E'.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #158020 on: May 28, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »

Yo I played jazz guitar

you have to learn new chords for basically every song, at least until you have every voicing of a 7+b9 chord down

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #158021 on: May 28, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »

Apparently, the coffee shop that's being built by the college is going to belong to the guy that runs the sci-fi club on campus. I'm tight with him, so if everything works out on his end then I should have a job there come January. NO MORE MCDONALD'S!!!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158022 on: May 28, 2015, 01:15:52 pm »

Time to get yo barista training underway.
Peeps are crazy about they coffee.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #158023 on: May 28, 2015, 01:25:39 pm »

I hope he makes it a sci-fi themed coffee shop called Java the Hutt.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #158024 on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:04 pm »

Disney would sue his ass. Have to leave it at Java the Hut, for plausible deniability.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 10533 10534 [10535] 10536 10537 ... 13327