Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10321 10322 [10323] 10324 10325 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771595 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Oh, hey, it's the "DAE Europe > America" people.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, we've already had a great date order debate here and as usual no meaningful conclusions were reached. To summarize:
D/M/Y is the most common internationally and is probably the most intuitive, M/D/Y reflects how dates are pronounced aloud by (American) English speakers, and Y/M/D is the best for collation and computing purposes (as Randall Munroe pointed out). None of them are all-around better than the others; they all have strengths and weaknesses.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

M/D/Y reflects how dates are pronounced aloud by (American) English speakers.
We say 'Twenty first of Jan'yary' 'Fifth o' June'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Going to a LAN with a few of my friends tomorrow, getting my last code project for the next little while finished on Monday, and hopefully actually sleeping somewhere in there. With a little luck, I'll stop riding the mood rollercoaster.

Also, I was surprised at Machinae Supremacy's whole community/PR thing. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been, but it still made me happy.

M/D/Y reflects how dates are pronounced aloud by (American) English speakers

So basically America uses it because that's what America's always used? It's almost always pronounced as Day(th/nd/st/rd) of Month here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nobody has mentioned Oz, Lb and Gallons yet, either.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Going to a LAN with a few of my friends tomorrow, getting my last code project for the next little while finished on Monday, and hopefully actually sleeping somewhere in there. With a little luck, I'll stop riding the mood rollercoaster.

Also, I was surprised at Machinae Supremacy's whole community/PR thing. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been, but it still made me happy.

M/D/Y reflects how dates are pronounced aloud by (American) English speakers

So basically America uses it because that's what America's always used? It's almost always pronounced as Day(th/nd/st/rd) of Month here.
In America (at least, everywhere in America that I've been) people only use that order rarely for emphasis (and "Fourth of July" because that's basically a fossilized idiom). Otherwise, yes, we say February 28th, April 15th, September 11th, October 31st, December 25th...

Also, straw poll: Who actually pronounces the first "r" in "February"? I'm told some people do this but I've never heard it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:52:44 am by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

M/D/Y reflects how dates are pronounced aloud by (American) English speakers.
We say 'Twenty first of Jan'yary' 'Fifth o' June'
Actually, I say March 21st... >_>

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The thing that bugs me most about metric is the lack of a convenient mid-range measurement of distance akin to the foot. You just skip straight from 1cm to 1m and have to run mental gymnastics to approximate distances in between. 'Close enough' is practically the motto of the Imperial system and it's wonderful.

Except when you hire lazy cheapass contractors to do your construction, then it's funny as hell for everyone who isn't you.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

The thing that bugs me most about metric is the lack of a convenient mid-range measurement of distance akin to the foot. You just skip straight from 1cm to 1m and have to run mental gymnastics to approximate distances in between. 'Close enough' is practically the motto of the Imperial system and it's wonderful.

Except when you hire lazy cheapass contractors to do your construction, then it's funny as hell for everyone who isn't you.
50 cm?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

50 cm?
More like 30 cm aka "the length of a ruler".
It's really not hard :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

In theory, there are other units like "decimeter" that are perfectly valid but never used for some reason. You also never see "centiliters" or "deciliters" or "hekameters" or "megagrams" (well, these are used, but they're called "[metric] ton[nes]" for some reason), even though all of these are possible and in some circumstances more practical than the common units.

That's one of the two things that bugs me most about metric. The other is that the kilogram is the base unit of mass. Why keep the prefix? Why not rename the kilogram the gram, the gram the milligram, the milligram the microgram, and so on? Why do kilograms get to be special snowflakes and pretend they're not base units?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least it's only one oddball instead of every single unit.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

50 cm?

5 decimeters?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

0.5 m?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The other is that the kilogram is the base unit of mass. Why keep the prefix? Why not rename the kilogram the gram, the gram the milligram, the milligram the microgram, and so on? Why do kilograms get to be special snowflakes and pretend they're not base units?
Because grams matter the most to poor people, and cookbooks.

If we remade One Foot into 30 cm, that would be great, but at the end of the day they're all kind of arbitrary distances that are difficult to equate.
I learned the length of an inch and ten centimeters by literally holding my fingers up to a ruler all day until it 'felt right', then checked it over months.
It worked, until I stopped being 14 and had to learn the whole damn system all over again.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:20:55 pm by Tack »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kilograms are officially the SI unit of mass.

Pages: 1 ... 10321 10322 [10323] 10324 10325 ... 13325