Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10175 10176 [10177] 10178 10179 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15791817 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: [Pan paka pan~] Atagos soft fuel tanks return (Happy thread!!!)
« Reply #152640 on: February 16, 2015, 01:55:10 pm »

I wonder, if DF musical works are described in a way similar to the poems, with lots of technical terms but vague enough to let the reader fill in the details, I wonder if it would be possible to compose music based on an in-game description. That'd be neat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152641 on: February 16, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »

I remember something about the world's longest joke being tens of thousands or something.
And also about a man in the desert.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #152642 on: February 16, 2015, 01:58:49 pm »

I remember something about the world's longest joke being tens of thousands or something.
And also about a man in the desert.
This? It's a good read, would recommend.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152643 on: February 16, 2015, 02:36:25 pm »

That was pretty good, I'll say.
Although halfway through I forgot it was a joke.
Spoiler: the end (click to show/hide)

I have an idea of how to chop that joke right in half.

Spoiler: Read the joke first (click to show/hide)
Not as funny unless you're into the whimsical sense.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152644 on: February 16, 2015, 04:04:29 pm »

I don't care if it's a bug, that's incredibly cool. It gives good flavor to a world, knowing that some civilization within it has an art form which requires literal lifetimes to write and edit or read and fully comprehend a single work.

Its not improbable for elves at all. Sounds like a way elves would spend their time, really.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #152645 on: February 16, 2015, 04:33:49 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:25:04 am by penguinofhonor »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #152646 on: February 16, 2015, 06:21:24 pm »

You could definitely write poems within each of these styles, so I assume you'll be able to do the same with songs.
Your (implied) challenge was accepted and completed.
Quote from: Randomly Generated Poem Style
A poetic riddle concerning the hunt, originating in The Icy Nightmares. The poem is divided into three distinct parts: a quintain, a tercet and a line. It is always written from the perspective of the author. Use of consonance and vivid imagery is characteristic of the form. Forms of parallelism are common throughout the poem, in that certain lines often contrast underlying meaning and they have similar grammatical structures.

The first part is intended to make an assertion. Certain lines sometimes have reversed word orders. It has lines with four feet with an accent pattern of unstressed-stressed (qualitative iambic tetrameter). The ending of each line of this part rhymes with each other.

The second part is intended to make a counter-assertion. Certain lines sometimes have reversed word orders. It has lines with four feet with an accent pattern of unstressed-stressed (qualitative iambic tetrameter). The ending of each line of this part rhymes with each other.

The third part is intended to synthesize previous ideas. It has four feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed (qualitative trochaic tetrameter).
Quote from: Rock Paper Shotgun Commenter

Frontier forlorn;
Austere, forsworn;
With bands of horn
And spikes adorn
This icy bourne.

No ox to spear;
No stag, nor deer;
No hoof beats near:

Quarry-riddle.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #152647 on: February 16, 2015, 06:30:55 pm »

You could definitely write poems within each of these styles, so I assume you'll be able to do the same with songs.
Your (implied) challenge was accepted and completed.
Spoiler: spoiler'd (click to show/hide)
*slow clap*

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #152648 on: February 16, 2015, 06:32:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:25:09 am by penguinofhonor »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152649 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:12 pm »

Got Broforce for free, from the devs! Just chatting with them, they gave me a key! :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152650 on: February 16, 2015, 07:41:22 pm »

I find it hard to imagine not also having individual poems described by a specific version of the form (so exact amounts of lines rather than a range) and a specific subject.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152651 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:51 pm »

A ribald poetic form intended to praise a lover, originating in The Laborious Sun. The poem is a single couplet. Use of assonance, consonance and vivid imagery is characteristic of the form. The second line of the couplet uses the same placement of allusions as the first line. The second line of the couplet presents a different view of the subject of the first line. The first line has six syllables. The second line has nine syllables.

Òk olnen othbem òd
Noval nuggad suton saràm när

(Inserting a) finger (into the) poet('s) pink tunnel
(the) wife's donkey('s) intestines (taste) great, (even) raw.

i was assuming that "different view" would mean bait-and-switch here, heheh.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #152652 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:49 pm »

Weakening probably happens naturally. Infectiousness would probably increase normally though. Since as the virus mutates, the strains that reproduce more would become more proliferant whilst the ones that do not may die out. Since a living host can continuously create more of the virus and infect other people, a really lethal virus would probably become less lethal because of that and because it's presence selects for people who are more resistant.

If I recall correctly, one of the reasons for the Black Death becoming less deadly over time was because of that (though it was caused by bacteria rather than a virus).

Correct on all counts. As far as evolutionary advantage is concerned, Bacteria and Viruses have the same pressures. And, for that matter, Viruses *do* have a reliable way of being infectious and quite non-lethal - they can integrate into the host's DNA, and some did, permanently - you can trace the common ancestry of some species by looking for them in the two species and comparing.

I might make a separate thread to stop cluttering Happy Thread with it.
Deadly Bioweapons: It's In Your DNA Edition?
What Made You Die Horribly Today?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #152653 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:57 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiysF-bIv5M

Holy balls it's happening Nathan Barnatt is going for the WWE
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #152654 on: February 17, 2015, 02:12:35 am »

Weakening probably happens naturally. Infectiousness would probably increase normally though. Since as the virus mutates, the strains that reproduce more would become more proliferant whilst the ones that do not may die out. Since a living host can continuously create more of the virus and infect other people, a really lethal virus would probably become less lethal because of that and because it's presence selects for people who are more resistant.

If I recall correctly, one of the reasons for the Black Death becoming less deadly over time was because of that (though it was caused by bacteria rather than a virus).

Correct on all counts. As far as evolutionary advantage is concerned, Bacteria and Viruses have the same pressures. And, for that matter, Viruses *do* have a reliable way of being infectious and quite non-lethal - they can integrate into the host's DNA, and some did, permanently - you can trace the common ancestry of some species by looking for them in the two species and comparing.

I might make a separate thread to stop cluttering Happy Thread with it.
Deadly Bioweapons: It's In Your DNA Edition?
What Made You Die Horribly Today?
Hey look, deadly diseases are nothing to Sneeze at.
Related happy I have discovered the glory of puns, and the multitude of uses against my friends.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 10175 10176 [10177] 10178 10179 ... 13325