Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8363 8364 [8365] 8366 8367 ... 13319

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15151755 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [wot m8?] avin a giggle m8? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #125460 on: March 29, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »

Off the top of my head, it may be because they've been forbidden from having a standing military since WWII, I guess?
Also I think they've wanted a permanent UN seat for a while, so... yeah. I 'unno.
Japan is a part of the UN silly. and Japan CHOOSES not to have an army. It's a really big deal. All they have is the self-defense force.

I think it gets referenced whenever the story is modern and takes place in Japan, but a military force needs to respond to something outside of it, and Japan doesn't have a standing army so the plot needs someone else to be there. American and British fiction can reference their own militaries and intelligence communities when it comes to stuff like that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:18:30 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125461 on: March 29, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »

Off the top of my head, it may be because they've been forbidden from having a standing military since WWII, I guess?
Also I think they've wanted a permanent UN seat for a while, so... yeah. I 'unno.
Japan is a part of the UN silly.

I think it gets referenced whenever the story is modern and takes place in Japan, but a military force needs to respond to something outside of it, and Japan doesn't have a standing army so the plot needs someone else to be there. American and British fiction can reference their own militaries and intelligence communities when it comes to stuff like that.
I said(okay, edited it to say(but even so)) permanent seat! >:I
Not denying the silliness, though. Just sayin'.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #125462 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:10 pm »

Not that silly IMO. I like imagining the UN as actually doing stuff. :3

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #125463 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:47 pm »

Japan is a part of the UN silly.

I said(okay, edited it to say(but even so)) permanent seat! >:I
Not denying the silliness, though. Just sayin'.
Permanent Security Council seat. Of course, it's not going to happen, as it would involve a resolution passing through said council without having one of the five existing permanent seats vetoing it, and what diplomat wants to dilute their own power?

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125464 on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »

Not that silly IMO. I like imagining the UN as actually doing stuff. :3
Eheheh, it is a pretty nice thought. :3
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #125465 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:41 pm »

The last 5 pages of gif's. xD

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #125466 on: March 29, 2014, 11:28:24 pm »

RPS did a twitch stream of Goat Simulator. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/29/goat-simulator-video-stream-preview/#more-198337
This game looks genuinely awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125467 on: March 30, 2014, 01:12:03 am »

One good thing about being sick for a couple of weeks is that I've been reading a lot more than I have been lately. :)

Edit: I'm halfway through A Clash of Kings.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:40:55 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #125468 on: March 30, 2014, 01:19:53 am »

KINZO YOU UNBELIEVABLE SHITWAFFLE

*ahem*

This story continues to be excellent at evoking feelings that I need to post about in a thread. If you have a lot of time you aren't using, and want something good to read, I highly recommend Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I know that what I'm about to say isn't exactly a point in its favor, but it gets really good about 20 hours in, and stays that way for several times that, at least.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #125469 on: March 30, 2014, 01:49:38 am »

Man I certainly feel late to realize this. I was trying the demo to creeper world 3 and recently completed it. For one I don't entirely get how it's called a tower defense game, it certainly doesn't feel like one. It's more like a weird realtime with pause RTS.

And it's... Pretty fun so far. I've only got to where anti creeper is introduced since that's where the demo ends. But what I played was pretty good.

And I'd of skipped out of even trying it if I didn't accidentally stumble onto the steam page and see something decidedly not tower defense like. Why did everyone label it one?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #125470 on: March 30, 2014, 01:55:18 am »

Had a great day of Boardgaming. Played two new games I've never played before (A deckbuilding scrabble-like game and Sentinels of the Universe) which were fun, and had a fun and helpful Playtest of Distant Colony. Got more good feedback and introduce another friend to it who hadn't played it yet. She loved it, which is always a good sign.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125471 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:14 am »

Had a great day of Boardgaming. Played two new games I've never played before (A deckbuilding scrabble-like game and Sentinels of the Universe) which were fun, and had a fun and helpful Playtest of Distant Colony. Got more good feedback and introduce another friend to it who hadn't played it yet. She loved it, which is always a good sign.

Wow yeah sentinels is pretty darn fun.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #125472 on: March 30, 2014, 03:45:45 am »

Man I certainly feel late to realize this. I was trying the demo to creeper world 3 and recently completed it. For one I don't entirely get how it's called a tower defense game, it certainly doesn't feel like one. It's more like a weird realtime with pause RTS.

And it's... Pretty fun so far. I've only got to where anti creeper is introduced since that's where the demo ends. But what I played was pretty good.

And I'd of skipped out of even trying it if I didn't accidentally stumble onto the steam page and see something decidedly not tower defense like. Why did everyone label it one?
I think it's because you build towers that defend your base, which makes it sound like a standard model tower defense game despite the fact that it really doesn't adhere to any of the normal cookie-cutter standards. I think I've seen it called a RTPS as much as a TD.
Whatever it is, it's a heck of a lot of fun. Wish I could get 3.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #125473 on: March 30, 2014, 04:10:33 am »

The United Nations does do things, it's just that they have so many on their plate that it seemed like they're not doing much.

You know, like if you have, say, 50 candies. It will appear to the children that you are giving more candies if you were distributing them among 25 children, while if you distribute them to 75 children, it will appear to them that you aren't giving candies to some of them, and as such you aren't giving out much candies.

Wow, that's actually one of the few analogies I make that I actually like.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #125474 on: March 30, 2014, 04:28:33 am »

But what if the children kill you and go pawn off your possessions for more candy?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 8363 8364 [8365] 8366 8367 ... 13319