Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8252 8253 [8254] 8255 8256 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15767071 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: [!!PIZZA!!] CAN YOU GUESS WHAT, ITS A MYSTERY (happy thread?!)
« Reply #123795 on: March 12, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »

My first lucid dream, I believe, was a falling dream. I fell from thousands of feet, and caused myself to phase through the ground instead of hitting.
My first (and only) lucid dream involved me being surrounded by balloon tanks, and then exclaiming "Dream powers activate!"  This caused me to realize I was in a dream, and then moments later my alarm clock rang.   

Today I went to the bookstore and got the Ravenor Ombnibus and a book on Social Engineering.   And my parents are letting me order a book on networking, since the entire computer section at the book store is filled with books like "Windows 8.1 for seniors" and "The history of Minecraft".   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #123796 on: March 12, 2014, 07:37:25 pm »

Well said, mah boi!

After HOURS of playing with a USB drive, an Action Replay, and a PS2, I finally managed to install a software modification on said PS2. Keep in mind that this was after I had looked at scores of forumites from far away, all complaining about the same problem that I had been getting. None of them figured out how to fix it.

For a minute, I thought I had hit a brick wall. Cooked my goose. Instead, I clenched my fist, looked practicality in the face and told him to kiss my posterior.

Several hours of determination, running back and forth, and soda took place, and I have done the supposedly impossible.

Homebrew here I come!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #123797 on: March 12, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

I had a dream come to me that taught me how to refine my lucid dreaming. Played out very much like one of my games. It was pretty neat.

I was in an enclosed temple kind of environment, tiny slits on the tops of the walls only enough to see clouds outside. Looked similar to what you would see in Unreal Tournament. In the room were 4 pedestals 3 of them with rocks on them. One rock was smooth, like a river rock, but when touched felt rugged and sharp; the other was rough as can be, but when touched was unusually smooth and seamless; there was one last rock which looks like it could never stay upright, especially on the sloped edge it was balancing on. I decided to tip it over and down the slope. It stayed on the slope. I pushed it into the open, and it started rolling across thin air until it stopped at the center of the other empty pedestal across from it.

One other flying dream I had involved me walking on the beach and coming across a rune. Light banded around my wrists, ankles, and back, and the next thing I knew, I was able to fly. The control scheme seemed similar to how I would imagine the Iron Man suit would operate, and it was pretty fun flying around town and enjoying the scenery.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123798 on: March 12, 2014, 08:23:39 pm »

I think that over the next few days, I may try making a little universe for use in games (D&D and otherwise).

The whole worldbuilding idea just has a sort of attraction for me.
Pffft. Worldbuilding can takes months, if not years. I've only gotten my sci-fi setting to 'presentable' after like six years of work.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:39:47 pm by Vorthon »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123799 on: March 12, 2014, 08:28:08 pm »

... it can also take hours (or hell, minutes) or days, depending on how you go about it and what you want from it. Have fun, GO.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123800 on: March 12, 2014, 08:44:59 pm »

... it can also take hours (or hell, minutes) or days, depending on how you go about it and what you want from it. Have fun, GO.
There once was a land where pizza-men ruled. The vegetable people rebelled, led by the Broccoli Tribe.

Years later, the Broccolis rule the land with an iron fist. Does history repeat itself...? Our story will tell!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123801 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:59 pm »

Me and a couple of friends convinced another friend that the brown pellets in rabbit food is actually rabbit poo. While they can eat poo (mainly that produced at night, I believe) it certainly isn't bagged and sold en masse.

(Here is where someone proves me wrong and brings this to the WTF thread.)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #123802 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:39 pm »

My first lucid dream, I believe, was a falling dream. I fell from thousands of feet, and caused myself to phase through the ground instead of hitting.
I've had lucid dreams every other night.
.___.
Gravity, while it may be real in dreams = no falling damage. :D
Or, y'know, just hit the ground with a shockwave and such to make it all the better.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123803 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:09 pm »

It's funny how much technoanxiety there is right now. Previous friends were all gung ho about facebook and smartphones and robots, but wanting those same things is quickly becoming a source of shame (in the case of smartphones, it already is/has been - first one to check their phone pays for the meal? Really?)

Similarly, in 2013, it became impossible to read about tech without seeing some current or tide of one of two groups:

1. The Singularists: People who generally believe we will approach a point where technology is completely unrecognizable to those who came before it. This in itself isn't a big deal, but the school of thought has drawn in a LOT of others who believe we are approaching a completely post scarcity world where all people are equal in resources and access thanks to technology. When asked what the point of a Human is in such a world, you'll get one of two general answers: "Humans will no longer be necessary, and we'll have time to pursue our hobbies (which the robots can do better anyway, so there's no point) or, worse, Skynet will decide we must die" and "Humans will transcend their mortal bodies within thirty years, either through uploading our consciousness or augmenting ourselves, and we will use this to remain powerful over ever-more-productive machines." I've watched post-scarcity post-er boys create a very real fear of technology (or at least its proponents) in average capitalist people who don't WANT a pure egalitarian society but rather one where every has some sort of role. They'd be right: capitalist society simply can't work with no or minimal scarcity. Even Captain Capitalist (what a blog) agrees.

2. The Technophobes: This is nothing new, but unlike Luddites of times past, today's technophobes are not purely worried about job loss. Instead, they're concerned over ephemeral things: the increasing shiftlessness, ennui, and pessimism brought on by extra introspection and mental exhaustion, the loss of Human "soul" thanks to obsolescence, the overall decline of love/marriage, etc etc etc. Technophobes I've listened to tend to be very extreme, maybe more extreme than your redneck uncle, advocating either a complete return to agrarian culture or the "prepper" lifestyle.

Both people are anxious about technology but in different ways. I've noticed those talking about technologically singularity tend to be very anxious about the coming years where we exponentially but asymptotically approach it. Technophobes don't seem to be concerned with specific "transition" years (30 is the common figure given by both groups) so much as the long-term loss of Human soul.

In a way, both are political as they talk about two different sides of the same issue, but it's not easy to divide them across USA liberal/conservative lines. Technophobes range from hippie (better join a commune before we run out of oil) to conservative (these damn kids screwin everything up) to libertarian (let's go off grid, live next to the river). Singularists definitely seem to be more liberal if only because the tie-in with post-scarcity thought has driven off capitalist thinkers.

We don't really need more -isms (singularism, survivalism), but like most (all?) -isms, they're living or preparing to live a specific lifestyle and advocating that lifestyle as Best, similar to but not exactly like religion.

I, personally, have fallen prey to the dichotomy, and landed on the side of the technophobes. That's why this is in the happy thread. Crazy as the above makes both parties sound, I'm sick of being on a screen all day (for work, school, play) and have found a way out. I'm now growing food to supplement an actual income and have a distant hope of being free from fiat money, maybe getting the skills to join a hippie commune or rural village where I can help provide for others from the land, using simple tools and the body I've been wasting >50% of in a chair or bed. Let the singularity come. Let the apocalypse happen. Hell, let nothing happen at all. We're all going to die anyway. It sounds stupid to write my belief like that, especially since most of the world is very dependent on technology, but I can see some peoples' attitudes already shifting in this direction. Bring it on!

Look forward to freeformschooler's future production of The Village, set in real life.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:05:28 am by freeformschooler »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #123804 on: March 13, 2014, 12:03:32 am »

Congrats, I guess?

Me and a couple of friends convinced another friend that the brown pellets in rabbit food is actually rabbit poo. While they can eat poo (mainly that produced at night, I believe) it certainly isn't bagged and sold en masse.

(Here is where someone proves me wrong and brings this to the WTF thread.)

Having owned a rabbit for the last couple of years, I think I can say that this won't be disproved.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123805 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13:31 am »

More technology for me, please. The main goal of technology is to make everything easier (even though that's not always a good thing. See: guns, which are not inherently bad, but make it very easy to poke holes in things that shouldn't get holes poked in them, like people,) and I damn sure want a totally egalitarian society (even though I'll never live to see it happen. People are too stupid, and politicians are too good at getting people to vote against their own interests.) The less time I spend struggling with things that don't matter, the more time I can spend enjoying what little life I have left.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123806 on: March 13, 2014, 12:18:24 am »

There's no reason why you can't have technology + agrarianism.  There's a reason why we developed this stuff in the first place.

Vector, I'm surprised that with the brainpower/focus you have that you aren't a lucid dreamer.

Nope!  I've got an extremely active subconscious mind.  I've been using my dreams as a barometer for how I'm feeling beneath any fronts I may have put up for pretty much my entire life.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #123807 on: March 13, 2014, 12:19:33 am »

my brain 2 stupid for lucid drams

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123808 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:39 am »

There's no reason why you can't have technology + agrarianism.  There's a reason why we developed this stuff in the first place.

Yeah. People don't seem to get that. Even a rototiller is "developed technology," and I doubt the most hardcore technophobe would be opposed to something as cool and renewable as solar panels.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123809 on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:06 am »

Solar panels fuck yeah

sorry I wasn't paying attention but those things are cool as shit

Nuclear power? pshaw, wasteful! There's a big nuclear explosion 150,000,000 KM away that I can mooch off of!
Pages: 1 ... 8252 8253 [8254] 8255 8256 ... 13325