Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8150 8151 [8152] 8153 8154 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15754958 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ᴕᴥᴕ] Happy thread, destroyer of browsers. (happy thread)
« Reply #122265 on: February 19, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »

so descan is supposedly a homop-

fuck this i'm going to bed

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122266 on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »

Also there's such a thing as restrospective studies.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122267 on: February 19, 2014, 04:18:26 pm »

While they found no link between homophobia and cancer deaths, anti-gay bias “was specifically associated with cardiovascular-related causes of death among heterosexuals,” they write.

Ding ding ding ding ding homophobic people are typically unhealthy white people [from the south, which adds -1 health points just from the saturation of fried EVERYTHING]. Homophobia is not any kind of cause, homophobic people are just generally hicks with terrible eating habits, go figure.

This is exactly what turning correlation into causation is.

We could probably easily turn this study into 'homophobia makes you more likely to drink budweiser' 'homophobia makes you more likely to watch NASCAR' etc etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:22:46 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122268 on: February 19, 2014, 04:24:38 pm »

If you're serious, I don't think you understand how statistics works.

After adjusting for a variety of factors known to influence health and mortality, including age, race, marital status, income, and education,

All those are more closely related to the things you listed than prejudice.

Now, statistics can have variables that affect the answer unknown to the people doing the study. There's no absolute knowledge in science, after all. But pulling random possibilities out of thin air rarely actually discredits anything.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122269 on: February 19, 2014, 04:25:50 pm »

But pulling random possibilities out of thin air rarely actually discredits anything.

I agree.

Homophobia Takes Years Off of Your Life

So I'm just wondering how to correctly state this, because there is not any correlation between homophobia and heart failure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:27:34 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122270 on: February 19, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically at this point, if you want to try to come to that conclusion, you need to discredit the study, not the conclusions. Their conclusions are accurate based on the data provided. Discredit the data.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:28:55 pm by kaijyuu »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122271 on: February 19, 2014, 04:29:05 pm »

I'll quote the article:

“Existing evidence suggests that, for highly prejudiced people, intergroup interactions are stressful,” they note. “Stress in turn is associated with less healthy behavior, such as overeating, smoking and heavy drinking. These health behaviors are therefore likely mechanisms linking anti-gay prejudice to mortality.”

Hatzenbuehler and his colleagues report they were “unable to determine whether it is anti-gay prejudice in particular, or prejudice more broadly, that is associated with mortality among majority-group members.”

They outright say it.

Once again, homophobic people are more likely to be white, uneducated people who will smoke, eat alot, and generally make bad decisions. Homophobia does not cause this, it is a symptom of their stupidity. Quit making correlation/causation just because it agrees with what you want it to mean, for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:30:53 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122272 on: February 19, 2014, 04:30:29 pm »

Being white and uneducated were the groups they tested against. There are white, uneducated, overweight, heavy drinkers and they lived longer than white, uneducated, overweight, heavy drinkers who were also prejudiced.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:33:04 pm by kaijyuu »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122273 on: February 19, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »

EDIT: One sec, you edited your post so the previous reply didn't make sense.

Homophobia is a symptom of their decision making abilities. I'm not trying to be outright prejudiced against antigay people [is that an oxymoron?] but it's rather apparent the pattern that exists.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122274 on: February 19, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »

We keep sniping each other with edits :P See previous post.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122275 on: February 19, 2014, 04:35:32 pm »

Being white and uneducated were the groups they tested against. There are white, uneducated, overweight, heavy drinkers and they lived longer than white, uneducated, overweight, heavy drinkers who were also prejudiced.

Quote from: the study
The results should be considered in the context of the study’s limitations. Although we controlled for multiple potential confounders, unmeasured confounding remains a possibility. For example, we were unable to control for certain health behaviors (diet, tobacco use, and heavy alcohol use) that are established risk factors for mortality because the GSS measured these behaviors very infrequently.

Looks like they actually didn't do what you said.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:37:29 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122276 on: February 19, 2014, 04:36:03 pm »

Huzzah! Got my sister's netbook back several days early. Currently on it at the library while my step-aunt does some stuff. Sadly, the library's wireless network seems to suck.

I also went on a shopping trip over the weekend, and got a bunch of stuff for cheap.

My Valentine's Day gift was received with a smile from my crush. And no, not an awkward, "What the hell is this guy doing?" smile.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122277 on: February 19, 2014, 04:38:01 pm »

Oh, and it's my birthday. Yay and stuff.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122278 on: February 19, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »

Happy birthday~

Dropping out of previous conversation to avoid this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122279 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

Guys, you're all awesome. Especially Descan.
If I had to guess, assuming voting patterns are any indicator, homophobic people tend to live in rural areas, where there is less access to quality health services. Education is also a factor I would look at, where educated people are both less prone to group biases and tend to live longer.
Pages: 1 ... 8150 8151 [8152] 8153 8154 ... 13325