Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7934 7935 [7936] 7937 7938 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15753552 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ] WHY ARE WE YELLING? (Happy thread...?)
« Reply #119025 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:01 am »

Somebody already did the programming work I needed. It may not have everything I want, but it looks like it may have everything I need in order to at least playtest and get things publicly launched. I'm gonna have to double my efforts to reach a stage of playability so that I can make that happen.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #119027 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »

... I take back every claim to being good at spriting I've ever made. BRB learning art forever
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119028 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:32 pm »

Gorgeous animated pixel art landscapes that change with the time of day. (Warning: HTML5)

More similar landscapes that don't change over time but are still beautiful (also, HTML5)
I love the second link's picture (Jungle Waterfall). I knew it had to be these. They're pretty awesome. Kinda wish I could use them as my background.

Those are actually way more impressive than they first appear, too.

That's actually not animated at all. It's a single frame image, and what is being changed are the indexed color values; the painting is done with 256 distinct colors, and the animated parts are being drawn with specific indexes, which are cycled through a pre-defined set of colors through the program itself. Notice how the snow in the first example follows a set of waveforms that match the vine patterns on the tree trunks? And how those vines are all a fixed shade of brown?

It's a classic animation technique dating back to the Amiga era, when computers didn't have the storage space (or the file format) for long, large-scale animations like modern GIFs. The fact that the artist can create complex illusions of animation just by color-shifting one of the 256 colors he used is honestly incredible. It kind of blows my mind.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:40:10 pm by Solifuge »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119029 on: January 05, 2014, 01:07:33 pm »

Gorgeous animated pixel art landscapes that change with the time of day. (Warning: HTML5)

More similar landscapes that don't change over time but are still beautiful (also, HTML5)
I love the second link's picture (Jungle Waterfall). I knew it had to be these. They're pretty awesome. Kinda wish I could use them as my background.

That's actually not animated at all. It's a single frame image, and what is being changed are the indexed color values; the painting is done with 256 distinct colors, and the animated parts are being drawn with specific indexes, which are cycled through a pre-defined set of colors through the program itself. Notice how the snow in the first example follows a set of waveforms that match the vine patterns on the tree trunks? And how those vines are all a fixed shade of brown?

It's a classic animation technique dating back to the Amiga era, when computers didn't have the storage space (or the file format) for long, large-scale animations like modern GIFs. The fact that the artist can create complex illusions of animation just by color-shifting one of the 256 colors he used is honestly incredible. It kind of blows my mind.
The pictures from the first link were originally used in "Seize the Day", an organizer program for Macs and early Windows operating systems released in 1994. It can be found here. However, like most software from 1994 it doesn't work properly on modern PCs without emulation.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #119030 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:49 pm »

That is ridiculously cool.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119031 on: January 05, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »

I found a 4Chan quest that I can't put down. It's set in between the events of Mega Man X2-X3, and the main character is a Maverick Hunter named Anode.

Here's a link to the beginning if you want to take a look, and here's a list of all the current threads. I'm at Thread 27 right now.

Perfect for me as I'm stuck inside my house due to the snow.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119032 on: January 05, 2014, 02:56:43 pm »

If you right click on the picture, you can save a snapshot of the animation (at least, in Firefox).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119033 on: January 05, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »

I played a survival games round on the PlayMindcrack minecraft server last night and won.

Someone on reddit saw.

(Origin thread)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119034 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:33 pm »

I'm going to try to GM a DnD game! Come be a Kobold!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119035 on: January 05, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

I'm going to try to GM a DnD game! Come be a Kobold!
I'll play! As long as it doens't start for 11 days.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119036 on: January 05, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »

... I have to wait for people to make characters and everything anyway. >.>
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #119037 on: January 05, 2014, 03:46:08 pm »

If you right click on the picture, you can save a snapshot of the animation (at least, in Firefox).
Even better if it could animate while being a background image.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #119039 on: January 05, 2014, 06:17:47 pm »

Quite a accurate reproduction given it's stopmotion lego.
Better acting, too, at least with the body language and facial expressions.
Pages: 1 ... 7934 7935 [7936] 7937 7938 ... 13325