Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7824 7825 [7826] 7827 7828 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15769436 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Guess on pc you can just open console, type in a few lines, and voila.
And games don't have super-powerful cheats anymore: they sell you them and call them "micro-transactions".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I always did like it when games came with a proper manual with facts about the background and enemies, weapons and the like that weren't present in the game. Helped with worldbuilding, because it could tell some things without showing.

Alas, no longer. Even non-digital games have a single leaflet now inside rather than a thick tome.

Ah, well. The usefulness of digital downloads makes up for it.

To be fair, Morrowind has all of that in-game.

Did I ever mention that Morrowind (and Redguard before it) has the best world-building of any game throughout history, traditional or otherwise? At the very least it's on par with Glorantha (RuneQuest, King of Dragon Pass etc.).

Because it does. Heck, it's going to be a few more months until we finally get the answer to some of the mysteries surrounding the game (which have been expanded slightly, yes, a bit from Oblivion, a bit more from Skyrim, a lot more from the Loveletter, but all based on Morrowind).

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

And games don't have super-powerful cheats anymore: they sell you them and call them "micro-transactions".

Not if you're Saints Row. In that case you outright sell some of the cheats as DLC.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with that one. Even worse, there's a good chance that people had gladly bought it.

That's even worse than horse armour.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

There's also those wonderful things call memory editors. Admittedly, a novice likely can't get them to work on everything... but most things? Oh yes. Oooooh yeeeaaaah.

Built in cheats. Pfah. It's easier to have the address for X-Number-I-Want-To-Manipulate open in the back, ready to be changed or locked at my alt-tabbing whim.

Assuming the game's not window'd, anyway >_>

Cheat Engine and Artmoney made me happy today, I guess. Yet again.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

To be fair, Morrowind has all of that in-game.

Did I ever mention that Morrowind (and Redguard before it) has the best world-building of any game throughout history, traditional or otherwise? At the very least it's on par with Glorantha (RuneQuest, King of Dragon Pass etc.).

Because it does. Heck, it's going to be a few more months until we finally get the answer to some of the mysteries surrounding the game (which have been expanded slightly, yes, a bit from Oblivion, a bit more from Skyrim, a lot more from the Loveletter, but all based on Morrowind).

Dark Souls was very good with that. It tells you basically nothing outright, but everything is so drenched in lore. Item descriptions. Loading screen text. Even the location of items (the hornet ring by the grave od Artioras - Xialian or whatever her name is was in love with Artorias, strengthened in the DLC when she asks you for his soul, for example). The hints that Solaire
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I played morrowind once when  I was younger - for around five minutes, but the awkwardness put me off. So I don't really know what kind of mysteries it has. I've played daggerfall, oblivion, and a little of skyrim (just got in a steam sale), and not really noticed an overarching mysteries.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

I absolutely love using the editors, but for nostalgia's sake, I do miss feeling like having to go through a rite of passage for unlocking the controls to the game (debug mode in Sonic rocked, especially after doing that obnoxious UUDDUUUU within less than a second in Sonic 3 (Just after SEGA, but before Sonic is in the giant ring; you have about 16 frames of animation in about a second to work with. Many a controller almost broke per-attempt, oh and also unlocking the debug mode by using sound test like a safe); it felt earned, despite it being cheating) or getting something much cooler, or previewing stuff I was advertised, but have yet to obtain or reach to confirm the commercial goodness by doing a few nifty tricks within the limits of the game itself.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:57:10 pm by Itnetlolor »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

snip

Dark Souls was very good with that. It tells you basically nothing outright, but everything is so drenched in lore. Item descriptions. Loading screen text. Even the location of items.

I played morrowind once when  I was younger - for around five minutes, but the awkwardness put me off. So I don't really know what kind of mysteries it has. I've played daggerfall, oblivion, and a little of skyrim (just got in a steam sale), and not really noticed an overarching mysteries.

Just reminded me of my favourite item description.
Spoiler: Much lore. (click to show/hide)
For all it's awkwardness, I liked Morrowind. Found myself creating new characters almost constantly though. Got to the point where in the first twenty minutes or so I could outfit myself in full ebony with a daedric dai-katana.

I also remember getting my acrobatics to the point where I didn't walk anywhere when I was outdoors. I stopped jumping indoors because more than once I ended up flying through a wall or a ceiling and just drifting off into the nothingness.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

I also remember getting my acrobatics to the point where I didn't walk anywhere when I was outdoors. I stopped jumping indoors because more than once I ended up flying through a wall or a ceiling and just drifting off into the nothingness.
Wasn't there a scroll you get at the beginning that fortified your acrobatics so much that a single jump could send you flying across the map, but by the time you landed it'd worn off so the fall damage killed you instantly?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Wasn't there a scroll you get at the beginning that fortified your acrobatics so much that a single jump could send you flying across the map, but by the time you landed it'd worn off so the fall damage killed you instantly?

Someone beat the game in 7 minutes using those scrolls. The key is to be very careful, or activate another scroll before you land.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

I think it's time for another Happy Christmas Dance Party Until the Merry New Year.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

One of the "mysteries" (more an overarching plot point) is that of the Towers, which was introduced in Oblivion (believe it or not) and fleshed out in Skyrim. Every game (except Arena) involves the destruction of a Tower by way of its Stone; the Mantella's destruction in Daggerfall lead to the fall of Walking-Brass (Numidium, the Brass Tower), Morrowind to the fall of Dagoth-Ur (Red Mountain, the Red Tower), Oblivion to White-Gold (White-Gold tower), and Skyrim to Snow-Throat (Throat of the World). These towers keep Mundus in existence; without the towers, the only thing keeping it around is Talos.

Another one is that of CHIM. CHIM is a fairly simple concept; one realizes that he or she is part of the dream of a Godhead and doesn't undergo an existential crisis leading to nonexistence ("zero-sum") in the process. CHIM is not a mystery in and of itself; its usage is known (even mentioned directly in Oblivion as the cause of the shift from jungle to uplands) and its nature is simple. What is far less simple is the concept of Amaranth, which is the step past. Amaranth is escaping the Godhead and dreaming your own dream. Tamriel itself is within the dream of Anu, whose ascendance is described in the Children's Anuad (him leaving time after fighting Padomay is where he began to dream; the rest after is conflating Anu the Amaranth with Anu who is Order). The identity of the Hidden Amaranth (Anu) was not known until about a month ago; there is one other Amaranth who will save the world from Landfall who may be revealed with C0DA in a few months.

Oh, yes, C0DA and Landfall. These are both the biggest mysteries of all, both stemming from but not quite directly from Morrowind. C0DA is apparently some sort of database that describes everything; at the same time, it is a graphic novel (~90 pages from what I last heard) by Michael Kirkbride describing Landfall, which should come out early 2014. Landfall is a total mystery; it involves the return of Numidium. There is a second sun in the sky at the time.

Also mysteries: the purpose of the Clockwork City, which not even Sotha Sil knew (will be answered in C0DA); where Yagrum Bagarn went after the Red Year (will be answered in C0DA); what exactly happened to the Dwemer (we know for a fact that they became the "skin" of Numidium, but what that entails is unknown); and how the Thalmor will succeed in their goal (KINMUNE founded the Thalmor apparently as an attempt to rid the world of humans; the existence of the second sun in the Prophet of Landfall might be a hint as to their fate).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MIT has free calculus for us math-lovin' cheapskates

Getting derivatives of rational functions feels like working with trig identities (aka the best part of trig). THIS IS AWESOME ALREADY.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile

I really like the word comrade. I just really like the sound of it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like a rainy day inside with the second series of Game of Thrones.
Sure, I had things I wanted to do today, but I have no money with which to do them and no idea how to get to them from here if I did.
Oh well. I'm happy. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

This video. Just this. Made me so happy.
Pages: 1 ... 7824 7825 [7826] 7827 7828 ... 13325