Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7813 7814 [7815] 7816 7817 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776671 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

It would be pretty much impossible to do any large scale projects, then.

Also decentralized systems (of all types) have the problem of being ineffectual at countering problems from outside of itself. How would such a system raise an army to counter an invasion? It would have to be global in scale so there arent any outside influences.
The idea would be that people could do large scale projects, but it would be as a collection of equals rather than employees under a manager.
Some projects (like making highways or jetliners or whatever) are simply too big for that. It'd be like a government where every citizen votes on every detail. We have representative governments for a reason, and these would have to get representatives too, which means individuals would have more power than other individuals, meaning...

No stable power vacuum exists as far as I know.
Oh, I know it's completely unworkable. The basic concept is still something that I would consider a good thing though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

It would be pretty much impossible to do any large scale projects, then.

Also decentralized systems (of all types) have the problem of being ineffectual at countering problems from outside of itself. How would such a system raise an army to counter an invasion? It would have to be global in scale so there arent any outside influences.
The idea would be that people could do large scale projects, but it would be as a collection of equals rather than employees under a manager.
As someone who has led a few projects, do you know how that actually works out? It sucks. When is the last time you have ever heard of, say, a skyscraper being built by hobbyists? The sheer scale of the endeavor is mind-boggling, the complexity staggering, the danger very real. Without any form of system-wide self-consistency, problems show up, holes appear, more work is done on some areas then others, and the end result is lacking.

People don't build roads of their own accord. They only way that happens is enough people with experience in it have reason (such as being paid) to do it. If the people are poor, or hell even simply not rich, they don't get a road.

The ultimate problem though, is simply that enough people disagree with the system to make it break down. Unlike an organized system, with this one any significant number of disagreers can take down everything.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Can we please get back on topic and move this discussion elsewhere, if need be?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I would, myself, prefer the Canadian system with a few minor (and one or two rather major) tweaks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Something like that, anyway. Don't need to go whole-hog anarchism if the idea is to give everyone a fighting opportunity to live and prosper, and to not punish someone with death-by-starvation if they fail once in a while.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

But it's a happy topic!

Kinda.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

But it's a happy topic!

Kinda.

Nope. It's not a happy topic. Everyone switch or topic goes on a hiatus for a day or so. Too many passions and ideals can be stirred up when it comes to politics.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

But it's a happy topic!

Kinda.
Might turn nasty soon though. Better avoid that.
FAKEEDIT: What Janet said.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

But it's a happy topic!

Kinda.

No, it's politics. Politics are inherently non-happy, and moreover they make the thread incredibly flammable.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Politics are inherently non-happy
Pssh, you're just looking at it wrong.
Anything can be happy if you have the appropriate mindset.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Okay, wanna switch to information content of swearwords? *gets popcorn*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Genocide, hooray!
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Genocide, hooray!
Genocides don't happen for no reason.
Someone has to want it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

From this we can conclude not all happies are created equal.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Nope. It's not a happy topic. Everyone switch or topic goes on a hiatus for a day or so. Too many passions and ideals can be stirred up when it comes to politics.
Aw, it seemed chill. Alas, no more politicohaps from me ITT today, I accede.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

From this we can conclude not all happies are created equal.

And we hold this truth to be self-evident.
Pages: 1 ... 7813 7814 [7815] 7816 7817 ... 13325