Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7747 7748 [7749] 7750 7751 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778369 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #116220 on: November 17, 2013, 09:14:10 am »

Something to toss at those who go bah humbug.
Nope. Sorry, but, still bah humbug. Although, a song probably isn't going to change a distaste for the whole holiday system.

I am with you on that one. People buying shit for each other that they dont need with money they dont have for a fesitval that has lost touch with its religious or spiritual roots? Yea, no thanks.
What kind of world do you live in that you don't like getting free stuff and eating cookies?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116221 on: November 17, 2013, 09:35:28 am »

Nope. Sorry, but, still bah humbug. Although, a song probably isn't going to change a distaste for the whole holiday system.

I am with you on that one. People buying shit for each other that they dont need with money they dont have for a fesitval that has lost touch with its religious or spiritual roots? Yea, no thanks.
Heh, that reminds me: A few years ago I suggested stopping the gift-giving tradition in our family; that motion was rejected. My point: You can say whatever you want about commercialization and materialism taking over christmas, the holiday minus the gift-giving is still pretty awesome.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116222 on: November 17, 2013, 09:52:14 am »

Went to the county fair yesterday with family.  Hadn't done that in years and had a good time.

I had a fried Reeses and then saw and completely failed to understand a goat show. 

The Reeses was like someone took a doughnut and filled it with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and heaven then put it on a stick.

The goat show was amusing because one of the entrants was a young child struggling to keep his goat under control.  Despite the child's best efforts the goat simply went where it wanted dragging him along behind the whole show.  The child got an award for best effort, that I'm pretty sure they just made up on the spot.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116223 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16:18 am »

Heh, that reminds me: A few years ago I suggested stopping the gift-giving tradition in our family; that motion was rejected. My point: You can say whatever you want about commercialization and materialism taking over christmas, the holiday minus the gift-giving is still pretty awesome.
I'd actually be pretty happy if it disappeared altogether. What pisses me off the mist about holidays is that people expect you to celebrate them, and if you don't, they push you anyway. Furthermore, if you want to celebrate for no reason, you get looked at like some kind of idiot. It would be a whole lot better if it wasn't in your face 24/7 throughout early winter, but you can't even drive down the street or buy a loaf of bread without having a bucket of fake cheer and garland dumped on your head. If someone could tell me how to opt out of the whole holiday thing, that'd be great.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116224 on: November 17, 2013, 11:27:37 am »

Live by yourself?

Also, the 'fake cheer' stuff... well, it all makes me feel happy. Not exactly fake, here.
Same here. There's some fake cheer, but most of it is real. It's mainly stores and stuff where people sometimes have to pretend to be cheerful, and even then it might be genuine.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116225 on: November 17, 2013, 11:32:08 am »

You're madmen! Both of you!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116226 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:14 am »

Probably got a date in the coming few weeks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116227 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:50 am »

Live by yourself?

Also, the 'fake cheer' stuff... well, it all makes me feel happy. Not exactly fake, here.
Same here. There's some fake cheer, but most of it is real. It's mainly stores and stuff where people sometimes have to pretend to be cheerful, and even then it might be genuine.
People need occasions - if you say "We'll celebrate when we feel like it", you might very well end up not celebrating at all. Another aspect is that because everyone else is celebrating at that time as well, it's a shared experience. Haven't you abserved that (some) people say "Merry Christmas" much more friendly/enthusiastically than "Have a good day"?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116228 on: November 17, 2013, 11:49:58 am »

Tbh, I haven't observed people saying any of those. Like, ever.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116229 on: November 17, 2013, 11:51:57 am »

First was a reply to MZ, the second was in the sense of a seasonal greeting, and you've never heard people say "Have a good day"?

Or I'm translating literally :/
The Bay12 postcard club

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116230 on: November 17, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

Nope. "Bonjour", on the other hand, way too often.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116231 on: November 17, 2013, 11:57:26 am »

I'm fine with the spirit of Christmas, I just don't appreciate the kitsch culture that developed from that spirit. When else do mentally healthy adults unironically decorate their houses with antiquated forms of lighting and gaudy ornaments?

I can also prove kitsch takes the Christ out of Christmas. Kitsch is from German. Germans killed Jews in the Holocaust. Jesus was a Jew. Therefore, supporting kitsch means you support killing Jesus. Good going, Christians.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116232 on: November 17, 2013, 12:05:14 pm »

My family is quite New Age so we tend to say we're celebrating the Winter Festival. We still get each-other presents and put up the decorations but we usually set a big bonfire and burn a lot of things. Same with Bonfire Night - we're celebrating the Celtic New Year, not the death of Mr. Fawkes. We don't burn a Guy anymore.

Come to think of it every single celebration of the year for my family seems to revolve around burning a lot of things.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:09:10 pm by Owlbread »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116233 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:48 pm »

Have you considered celebrating Festivus?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116234 on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about us attempting the Feats of Strength.
Pages: 1 ... 7747 7748 [7749] 7750 7751 ... 13325