Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7708 7709 [7710] 7711 7712 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746380 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #115635 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:29 am »

._.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #115637 on: November 05, 2013, 09:52:55 am »

Riven, from League of Legends.

To be exact, it's a cutout from this webcomic strip. It took quite a while to clear away the speech bubbles and redraw the hair and body :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #115638 on: November 05, 2013, 12:29:35 pm »

'This song is obviously about Mike Portnoy being trapped in the middle of his drum set.'

Someone's comment on a song by dream theater about how people are trapped in circles when they try to change things.

Made me laugh.

If you don't get it, his drum set is fucking HUGE.

Heh, you watched the same upload as me, I remember that comment.

In the same vein:
"The band Rush is here! Either that, or a drum factory exploded in the studio."

(Hardly surprising, the former along with the rest of the band, and as it turns out Mangini as well, which gave me a +10 to respect to him is heavily inspired by the latter).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:31:38 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #115639 on: November 05, 2013, 01:07:15 pm »

Today we had student council elections at my university, and they let me take a couple of sheets of "I Voted" stickers. I plastered them on the flyers that had been put up by the Students for a Stateless Society that said "What is Anarchism?"

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115640 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

Hehe.

Personally, I fail to understand anarchists. Governments tend to be messy, but there's two (big) problems with anarchy.
1) It's worse because there's an utter lack of laws. people are led by their morality, and there's a fair few people out there who have very flexible morals.
2) It'll lead to a government eventually, because you'll have people banding together, then they come up with rules and so on.
1 is no different than how it currently is. People with "flexible" morals as you put it can get into power you know... politicians and businesspeople aren't known for their morality.
2 I agree with.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115641 on: November 05, 2013, 01:20:47 pm »

Counterpoint x3:

Deterrents do work to some degree, but removing the need for them to do these acts will work much better. Muggers mug for money; an anarchistic society would probably be egalitarian in terms of property.
As for murder, such people are probably willing to do it regardless of the consequences. Most are crimes of passion as far as I know, and deterrents don't work against those types of crimes at all.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #115642 on: November 05, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »

I think I mostly got my computer working again...

avgui.exe was throwing weird read errors but I needed an excuse to switch to Avast! anyway.
Also I lost my perfect dos vga font that I use for IRC.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115643 on: November 05, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »

Counterpoint #5:
That would be caused by your point #2 in your first post, which I agreed with. It'd start out egalitarian though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115644 on: November 05, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »

Hehe.

Personally, I fail to understand anarchists. Governments tend to be messy, but there's two (big) problems with anarchy.
1) It's worse because there's an utter lack of laws. people are led by their morality, and there's a fair few people out there who have very flexible morals.
2) It'll lead to a government eventually, because you'll have people banding together, then they come up with rules and so on.
Anarchy would just end up with new governments forming, unless there was a central committee ensuring that no organisations form, in which case, well, there's an organisation there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #115645 on: November 05, 2013, 01:37:21 pm »

Counterpoint x3:

Deterrents do work to some degree, but removing the need for them to do these acts will work much better. Muggers mug for money; an anarchistic society would probably be egalitarian in terms of property.
As for murder, such people are probably willing to do it regardless of the consequences. Most are crimes of passion as far as I know, and deterrents don't work against those types of crimes at all.

Naturally? No, it wouldn't. Especially if we're talking about going out tomorrow, taking a bunch of random people of the street and starting such a society, where people hold on to property out of inertia. You'd have to enforce egalitarianism in terms of property, which KINDA SORTA ruins the point of having an anarchistic society in the first place.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #115646 on: November 05, 2013, 02:13:17 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ideology of anarchists that they want a democratically chosen "mini-governement" for all seperate institutions that'd generally be governement-controlled, instead of total anarchy?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115647 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:24 pm »

The ideology of anarchists vary, but pretty much none of them believe in the "utter chaos" version of their ideology that is often subscribed to them.

If you want to know about how an anarchist society would function, look up CNT-FAI's activities during and after the Spanish Civil War. The Ukrainian Free Territory was also an anarchist state, but it never really got itself together enough to be analyzable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115648 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:32 pm »

Meanwhile in the middle of a political argument:
Very touching and sad video.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115649 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:50 pm »

This is the happy thread, man. Don't bring sads in here.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 7708 7709 [7710] 7711 7712 ... 13325