Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7629 7630 [7631] 7632 7633 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15769391 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #114450 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:13 pm »

Also, this made me smile for some reason:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good for a chuckle :D
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114451 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:53 pm »

Autumn and Winter are bitches, but they do bring some nice things.
You come north of the Mason-Dixon and say that.
Absolutely this.

Okay, *here* they're bitches.
In the ice-ravaged wastes you live in, they're screaming hell-banshees.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #114452 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:23 pm »

Absolutely this.

I will bed that screaming hell-banshee for life, if it means I never again have to be thrown in that house made of flaming sandpaper full of eye-stabbing psychopaths flipping out on bath salts and pcp otherwise known as summer.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114453 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »

Absolutely this.

I will bed that screaming hell-banshee for life, if it means I never again have to be thrown in that house made of flaming sandpaper full of eye-stabbing psychopaths flipping out on bath salts and pcp otherwise known as summer.
Mid-latitude has the worst of both worlds. Trust me, I live in this swamp-ridden, chokingly humid hell hole. The air comes off the land, so we don't get the cool ocean breeze, but there is water everywhere, so the humidity never goes away. Summer is hot and muggy, winter is cold and wet, but the snow always sucks. It could be argued that we don't get a lot of the most severe weather here, but it tends to be really shit in the summer and winter. Fall and somewhat less spring are nice, though.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114454 on: October 15, 2013, 10:54:21 pm »

The weather's pretty nice here. Never more than a frost or light snow, and in summer it's rarely above 90 or so.

Near 100% humidity sometimes, but I like humidity.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #114455 on: October 15, 2013, 10:57:58 pm »

Absolutely this.

Mid-latitude has the worst of both worlds. Trust me, I live in this swamp-ridden, chokingly humid hell hole. The air comes off the land, so we don't get the cool ocean breeze, but there is water everywhere, so the humidity never goes away. Summer is hot and muggy, winter is cold and wet, but the snow always sucks. It could be argued that we don't get a lot of the most severe weather here, but it tends to be really shit in the summer and winter. Fall and somewhat less spring are nice, though.

Indiana is the same.  Summers spend a lot of time in the high 90s (occasionally reaching into the low 100s) with fairly high humidity, and winters can get to -20F with ice storms and pretty decent snow.  The worst is our so-called spring and fall, where instead of mild weather, it spasms back and forth between winter and summer, breaking fucking everything with a month or two of constantly repeating freeze/thaw.  Early to mid-spring here is referred to as hyper-fix.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #114456 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:08 pm »

So I came across this blog the other day, which generally reviews the usability and such of interfaces in SF material. And got to the bit about the crazy finger-augmentation keyboards from Ghost in the Shell. (you know, this one)
Here's the analysis of it: http://scifiinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/the-secret-of-the-tera-keyboard/
The board has around 100 keys in total.

What’s nifty about the keyboard itself is not the number of keys. Modern keyboards have about that many. What’s nifty is that you can see these keyboards are massively chorded, with screen captures from the film showing nine keys being pressed at once.

*snip*
But on the tera-keyboard you’re able to press nine keys at once, and more importantly, it looks like any key can be chorded with any other key. If we’re conservative in the interpretation and presume that 9 keys must be pressed at once—leaving 6 fingerlets free to move into position for the next bit of input—that still adds up to a possible 2,747,472,247,520 possible keypresses (≈2.7 trillion). That’s about nine orders of magnitude more than our measley 1600. At 24 keypresses per second, that’s a data rate of 6.5939334e+13 per second.

*snip*
The only thing that nears this level of data on a human scale is the human brain. With a common estimate of 100 billion neurons, the keyboard could be expressing the state of it’s users brain, 24 times a second, distinguishing between 10 different states of each neuron.

*snip*
Because of the form factor of hands and keyboard, it looks like a manual input device. But looking at the data throughput, the evidence suggests that it’s actually a brain interface, meant to keep the computer up to date with whatever the user is thinking at that exact moment and responding appropriately. For all the futurism seen in this film, this is perhaps the most futuristic, and perhaps the most surprising.

My mind = blown.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:05:43 pm by alway »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114457 on: October 15, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »

The weather's pretty nice here. Never more than a frost or light snow, and in summer it's rarely above 90 or so.

Near 100% humidity sometimes, but I like humidity.
Are you on the coast? Gets a good bit over 90 in the upcountry.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114458 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:26 pm »

Naw, I'm not on the coast, but I was told this summer was unusually cool. Maybe it normally gets hotter.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #114459 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:48 pm »

So I came across this blog the other day, which generally reviews the usability and such of interfaces in SF material. And got to the bit about the crazy finger-augmentation keyboards from Ghost in the Shell. (you know, this one)
Here's the analysis of it: http://scifiinterfaces.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/the-secret-of-the-tera-keyboard/

What’s nifty about the keyboard itself is not the number of keys. Modern keyboards have about that many. What’s nifty is that you can see these keyboards are massively chorded, with screen captures from the film showing nine keys being pressed at once.

*snip*
But on the tera-keyboard you’re able to press nine keys at once, and more importantly, it looks like any key can be chorded with any other key. If we’re conservative in the interpretation and presume that 9 keys must be pressed at once—leaving 6 fingerlets free to move into position for the next bit of input—that still adds up to a possible 2,747,472,247,520 possible keypresses (≈2.7 trillion). That’s about nine orders of magnitude more than our measley 1600. At 24 keypresses per second, that’s a data rate of 6.5939334e+13 per second.

*snip*
The only thing that nears this level of data on a human scale is the human brain. With a common estimate of 100 billion neurons, the keyboard could be expressing the state of it’s users brain, 24 times a second, distinguishing between 10 different states of each neuron.

*snip*
Because of the form factor of hands and keyboard, it looks like a manual input device. But looking at the data throughput, the evidence suggests that it’s actually a brain interface, meant to keep the computer up to date with whatever the user is thinking at that exact moment and responding appropriately. For all the futurism seen in this film, this is perhaps the most futuristic, and perhaps the most surprising.

My mind = blown.

Hehe... reminds me of my favorite tabletop rp character that I played under the Amber Diceless system. 

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #114460 on: October 15, 2013, 11:28:52 pm »

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

My mind = blown.

Hehe... reminds me of my favorite tabletop rp character that I played under the Amber Diceless system. 

Your GM is scary. O_O

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #114461 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:25 pm »

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting it at all.  I really wish we could have played out that game.  I enjoyed the hell out of that character.  Most unassuming out of the whole cast, but had by far the most tricks up his sleeve.  In the bidding phase of character creation, I successfully won first place in both endurance and warfare (out of like a dozen players), then spent the rest of my points on items and trump magic... then figured out how to digitize trumps.  So much fun :D  I hope to play Amber again someday.  Too bad the game is hardly known.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:39:47 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114462 on: October 15, 2013, 11:55:17 pm »

I still want to play a table-top as a magician/scientist/lich-wannabe who's looking to take over the world so that he can get more books.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114463 on: October 16, 2013, 12:06:04 am »

I still want to play a table-top as a magician/scientist/lich-wannabe who's looking to take over the world so that he can get more books.

So like DF Adventure mode, but with dice? :V

My friends ran an evil campaign in Pathfinder once. So much eye-gouging.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114464 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:22 am »

Well, that, and (for magic settings) jump-starting a space-age (WITH MAGIC) civilization.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 7629 7630 [7631] 7632 7633 ... 13325