Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7542 7543 [7544] 7545 7546 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15756243 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(╹◡╹ლ)] Kirby stop you're drunk (Happy thread)
« Reply #113145 on: September 20, 2013, 09:57:47 pm »

End of week treat: a slice of hazelnut truffle cake and a chocolate chai >_<  I am so happy.  This has been a great week, I've gotten loads of stuff done, work has improved a lot, and just ahhhhh!  I honestly can't remember any other, better time in my entire life.  For goodness' sake, I've pretty much been working 16-hour days for the past week but I'm full of energy and feel fantastic.  And things are just going to get better and better, too :I

<3 <3 <3

You all are wonderful and gorgeous.  Now go smooch a tree~
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113147 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:08 pm »

Random thought: I know that I have a less than 1% chance of ever fighting again, but if I ever get back into the cage, I want to walk out to a metal cover of E1M1 from Doom.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113148 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:39 pm »

I finally managed to stay up late at night!
My sleep schedule has been off for weeks because I went to bed early one day.
AND NOW IT SHALT BE RIGHTED BY SLEEPING UNTIL 10:00 AM!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #113149 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »

So I thought for a second about where the term "2nd derivative" came from and then I understood immediately

I love when that happens

more importantly, I started thinking about that when I saw this image:

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #113150 on: September 20, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »

<ah-snip>
Yes, some of them are definitely like that, and make me think "was that really necessary?" Buddhists seem to typically consider their individual suffering more or less meaningless, but while this may be the case they're also supposed to avoid causing other people to suffer.

End of week treat: a slice of hazelnut truffle cake and a chocolate chai >_<  I am so happy.  This has been a great week, I've gotten loads of stuff done, work has improved a lot, and just ahhhhh!  I honestly can't remember any other, better time in my entire life.  For goodness' sake, I've pretty much been working 16-hour days for the past week but I'm full of energy and feel fantastic.  And things are just going to get better and better, too :I

<3 <3 <3

You all are wonderful and gorgeous.  Now go smooch a tree~
Just for you I went outside and kissed the big oak tree in front of our house, it was dark and wet, and I couldn't exactly see what I was kissing. ;]
I take it you're enjoying your new job then?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113151 on: September 20, 2013, 10:26:56 pm »

Random thought: I know that I have a less than 1% chance of ever fighting again, but if I ever get back into the cage, I want to walk out to a metal cover of E1M1 from Doom.
Would that be with or without lyrics?

And you have a 1% chance of ever fighting in petty normal leagues. Your odds of fighting in the Ultimate Transhuman Combat League may be significantly higher (note that you must both receive significant cybernetic augmentation and start the UTCL before this is an option).
Yes, some of them are definitely like that, and make me think "was that really necessary?" Buddhists seem to typically consider their individual suffering more or less meaningless, but while this may be the case they're also supposed to avoid causing other people to suffer.
True cession of suffering can only be achieved by transcending your mortal desires through enlightenment. All else is as fighting the ocean.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113152 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »

Would that be with or without lyrics?

And you have a 1% chance of ever fighting in petty normal leagues. Your odds of fighting in the Ultimate Transhuman Combat League may be significantly higher (note that you must both receive significant cybernetic augmentation and start the UTCL before this is an option).
I'm going to go without the lyrics, considering that I didn't know it was supposed to have lyrics. Also, I could really use a cyborg spine.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113153 on: September 20, 2013, 10:38:29 pm »

It isn't supposed to have lyrics, that's just a fan song that put lyrics to it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113154 on: September 20, 2013, 10:45:41 pm »

Just for you I went outside and kissed the big oak tree in front of our house, it was dark and wet, and I couldn't exactly see what I was kissing. ;]
I take it you're enjoying your new job then?

Yeeeeeeah now that's where it's at

The new job. . . I can't say it's what I want, but it's bearable and will help me get where I need to go.  At the very least, I'm going to make sure that I learn a lot while I'm here.  I did a lot better at it today, and I'm feeling good about my possibilities.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113155 on: September 20, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »

It isn't supposed to have lyrics, that's just a fan song that put lyrics to it.
Aha. No, no lyrics for me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113156 on: September 20, 2013, 11:04:57 pm »

The new job. . . I can't say it's what I want, but it's bearable and will help me get where I need to go.  At the very least, I'm going to make sure that I learn a lot while I'm here.  I did a lot better at it today, and I'm feeling good about my possibilities.
Well I'm happy for you all the same, *hugs*.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113157 on: September 20, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Haven't played Bloody Roar 2 in nine years. It's still good.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113158 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »

Revisiting Fall from Heaven 2. Runs surprisingly smoothly on my laptop.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #113159 on: September 21, 2013, 12:04:09 am »

<ah-snip>

I have no idea if the koan makes any sense to you or not, so I'm going to assume not and monologue a bit.  It stuck with me, because it made a lot of sense to me.  Note:  the following is strictly with regard to Zen.  Tibetan Buddhism made a lot less sense to me, being much more structured and focused on reincarnation and liberation from samsara.

I don't think the suffering is supposed to be considered as part of the story.  As is typical with zen stuff, it's meant to be interpreted as part abstract/part literal.  The message is basically that enlightenment is synonymous with nothingness. 

By the end of my buddhism class, my impression of the concept of enlightenment was that it's actually a really simplistic idea.  In fact, it's not really an idea at all.  There's no big intellectual eureka.  It's more of about achieving a certain state of being, with two major elements -- dissolution of ego and thoughts/perceptions drawn into the present moment.

There is an intellectual element in that self-awareness (or mindfulness, as tends to be their preferred terminology) plays a large part in the process of seeking enlightenment, but it is simultaneously an obstacle that must be overcome.  The problem is that it's hard to abandon our ego if we can't identify or understand it, but directing our thoughts towards self-analyzation can both reinforce the ego and draw us out of the present moment.

This is what I see as the purpose of meditation.  A way to simultaneously draw oneself into the present moment and let intellectuality go, while also sinking deep into understanding of the nature of oneself.  The best description of proper meditation I heard was it's not about literally clearing one's mind of all thoughts.  Rather, it's about not actively engaging them.  When you're in a good meditative state, you should be able to observe your own thoughts passing through your mind, the same as you might lay back on a hilltop and observe passing clouds. 

And this is also why zen teachings focus so much on drawing the attention of one's intellect, and then shocking it with impossible ideas and paradox.  It's because there is no real idea to be taught.  The only way for a "teacher" to help is to punch gaps in the intellect's natural defenses that might allow intuition to reach through and grab onto something that the intellect cannot, because it inherently operates on egoistic pretenses.

Of course, I may be completely full of shit, because this is all based on what I learned in one semester about 9 years ago, and a real zen master would probably tell me I'm thinking too much and beat me over the head with a stick for writing this post.  But it was my favorite class of my entire college career.  I'd love to pursue it further.

Before one seeks enlightenment, rivers are rivers and mountains are mountains.
While one is seeking enlightenment, rivers are not rivers and mountains are not mountains.
After one has achieved enlightenment, rivers are truly rivers and mountains are truly mountains.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Haven't played Bloody Roar 2 in nine years. It's still good.

Oh wow.  Haven't thought about that game in forever.  I rented that one a couple times way back when and loved it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7542 7543 [7544] 7545 7546 ... 13325