Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7434 7435 [7436] 7437 7438 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15747980 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #111525 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:18 pm »

Why the subplot about the cartoonishly disabled scientists?  Why the Tale of Two Fathers?  Why isn't Hannibal Chau more menacing?  Why comedy at the times it was put in?  How does the movie frame "darkness" and "seriousness," and speak to these notions--sometimes in a way the viewers find inappropriate or unrealistic?

I actually don't know the more meaningful answers to these and would kind of like to know.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111526 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:30 pm »

You are a unique and special individual, just like everyone else.
No, you are the most unique and special person.
When everyone is special, nobody is.
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

CEHCK YO PRILEGEL I AM CISGENDERED AND VERY OFFENDED BY THIS.

Ahem. SATIRE ALARM. In case you can't tell, I am not being serious.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111527 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:09 pm »

I swear to you, it's a masterpiece.  Folks may not like it, but I could write essays on it forever.
For what it's worth, I'd totes read a few of those. Film analysis isn't something I've messed with much -- media analysis in general, really... I usually don't try to understand my entertainment much beyond, "Do I like it" and "Does it seem technically competent, even if I don't".

... definitely sounds like my continuing love of giant robot shows/good-ol'-hot!blood would sync right in with the movie. Shame I can't bring myself to justify the ~eight bucks it looks like it's showing for in my area :-\

You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
Which is still thoroughly unique on the macro (and most of the micro) scale or it wouldn't be differentiated. Snowflake ain't got jack on general molecular noise.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111528 on: August 20, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »

-snip-
Oh, sorry, didn't mean to rub salt into old wounds here. At least it was a good guess that you might like Pan's Labyrinth... which is a great movie. And yeah, I know people too who wouldn't watch it because "subtitles suck".

Interesting stuff, what you said about characterization in Pacific Rim (still have not seen it, so I can't comment much). These japanese character tropes are something I find both interesting and somewhat  annoying at times. I'm perfectly fine with it in the right cultural context, but it keeps me from really getting into anime (among other things) and sometimes bugs me in otherwise good movies. On the other hand I don't really watch japanese horror movies for the characters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111529 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:50 pm »

* Descan buys Naxza a flag with a tiny cactoid on it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #111530 on: August 20, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

I've had Nikopol stuck in my head all day. It's a pleasant sensation.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111531 on: August 21, 2013, 12:07:01 am »

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to rub salt into old wounds here. At least it was a good guess that you might like Pan's Labyrinth... which is a great movie. And yeah, I know people too who wouldn't watch it because "subtitles suck".

Interesting stuff, what you said about characterization in Pacific Rim (still have not seen it, so I can't comment much). These japanese character tropes are something I find both interesting and somewhat  annoying at times. I'm perfectly fine with it in the right cultural context, but it keeps me from really getting into anime (among other things) and sometimes bugs me in otherwise good movies. On the other hand I don't really watch japanese horror movies for the characters.

Haha, thanks for the opportunity to rant.  I feel a lot better now >_<

. . . on that note, HAVE AN ESSAY

Why the subplot about the cartoonishly disabled scientists?  Why the Tale of Two Fathers?  Why isn't Hannibal Chau more menacing?  Why comedy at the times it was put in?  How does the movie frame "darkness" and "seriousness," and speak to these notions--sometimes in a way the viewers find inappropriate or unrealistic?

I actually don't know the more meaningful answers to these and would kind of like to know.

Spoiler: HELLA SPOILERS (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:08:49 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #111532 on: August 21, 2013, 12:15:04 am »

How in the hell do you see all that? I'm not one for analyzing a work of art like that but holy hell Vector, that was awesome.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111533 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:26 am »

How in the hell do you see all that? I'm not one for analyzing a work of art like that but holy hell Vector, that was awesome.

I don't know, actually.  This is ... kind of just how I experience media.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111534 on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:06 am »

I don't know, actually.  This is ... kind of just how I experience media.
Huh. Strange.
Sig! Onol

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111535 on: August 21, 2013, 12:22:38 am »

Wait, didn't the Russians and Chinese work together? I seem to remember the Chinese Jaeger tossing one of the kaiju towards the Russian one. And the Australian team wanted to help sooner but kept getting told to hold back. So teamwork wasn't a problem in that instance, it was overconfidence and inflexibility on Command's part that was to blame.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111536 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:12 am »

. . . Yeah.  >_<

I'm an AWFUL person to watch movies with, unless you're into, y'know, talking forever.  Seriously, thanks for reading that.  I feel so much better.

Wait, didn't the Russians and Chinese work together? I seem to remember the Chinese Jaeger tossing one of the kaiju towards the Russian one. And the Australian team wanted to help sooner but kept getting told to hold back. So teamwork wasn't a problem in that instance, it was overconfidence and inflexibility on Command's part that was to blame.

Hmm, I thought that was a straight-up suplex.  But yeah, I think you're right in this case that the obstacle to teamwork came from an adherence to hierarchy.

Another thing that gets discussed!  Anyone notice that pretty much everyone in the film has "lower-class" accents, outside of Mako Mori?!  Tendo Choi even has jailhouse tattoos, LOL, and Raleigh the Jaeger-driving rockstar pisses away 5 years working construction.

Aaaaanyway

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #111537 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:06 am »

So, you're a wonderful person for me to watch movies with, you say? Bookmarked for after I've seen the movie.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #111538 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:37 am »

I got a whole lot less from that movie than you did Vector.

Your first rant encapsulates what I don't like about art snobs.  Don't assume that your standard of what art should be is what everyone else wants to see.  I don't complain that Citizen Kane doesn't have enough explosions, you shouldn't complain that Pacific Rim doesn't have enough "deep" dialogue.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111539 on: August 21, 2013, 12:33:17 am »

Oh, and about Citizen Kane:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 7434 7435 [7436] 7437 7438 ... 13325