Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7433 7434 [7435] 7436 7437 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15747768 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #111510 on: August 20, 2013, 05:44:28 pm »

the value is low, but the dividends are high?

where's the point market i need to make some very important barter

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #111511 on: August 20, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »

You are a unique and special individual, just like everyone else.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111512 on: August 20, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »

I tend to prefer WW1 military histories (like Lawrence) over WW2 military histories, because WW1 has more of a "This was a terrible tragedy for everyone", while WW2 has the tinge of "Roh roh roh, Fight da Nazis, go USA, go Allies!"

The civilian side, on the other hand... Well, I think that's fairly obvious. :/
Probably because there was a better case to be made that WW2 was more or less about good guys fighting bad guys and the good guys won (though there's many, many, holes to be pocked in that argument).
Whereas WW1 was basically imperialism vs imperialism. What's more the entire thing may have mostly been a bit of an accident.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and WW2 had no "good guys". It had the "evil fuckers" and the "slightly less evil fuckers". The Lawful Good vs. Lawful Evil spin that history has been papered over with is about as accurate as the idea that the U.S. beat Germany single-handedly, with a tiny bit of help from their stout but ineffectual British allies.
I'm the latest of all, but that is pretty much the case. We've pretty much all be Grey mostly, Nazis were that one special case that is actually over the worlds moral event horizon. I've been watching a documentary on Stalin (Russia's War: Blood upon the snow) and it's clear that only person who could possibly match Stalin's evil, blow for blow, was Hitler. Even people who had suffered under Stalin welcomed him after the Nazis were pushed back. WW2 was a special moment in history, where the worst possible humans took over a country and made it strong, and unleashed their darkest fantasies. There is a moment where they are describing retreating Nazis detonating supplies, bridges, a scorched earth policy harsher then the Russians and less effective, and the narrator says "Hitler believes his people have failed his vision, and this is his last act of revenge on his own people."

WW1 was just a example of a really, really bad time to have a war. After Machine Guns were invented, before effective means and strategies to defeat or destroy them. WW2 had advanced tanks, air power, anti-machine gun infantry, etc. However, it's also strategy, after all, the Germans went around the Maginot line, and never even really succeeded in attacking it, the French Civilian leaders had to tell them to surrender.

No, you are the most unique and special person.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111513 on: August 20, 2013, 07:51:48 pm »

Fuck yeah Attack on Titan.

If anyone is looking for a horrible monster-fix, as I had been until just now, it carries a pretty high recommendation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111514 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:21 pm »

When everyone is special, nobody is.

Next time a hipster gets all up in your face about his hipster cred, and how you are mainstream scum, remind him that it's mainstream to be not mainstream.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111515 on: August 20, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »

If anyone is looking for a horrible monster-fix, as I had been until just now, it carries a pretty high recommendation.

I got my hands on the subtitled version a while ago, but haven't sat down to watch it yet. If it's that good, I might have to start.

In other happies, I am finally sitting down, after sanitizing and fixing the crap out of the new place. Also, I have 5 raw carrots, and a big old cup of mango black tea. Oh how I have missed you, good food!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #111516 on: August 20, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »

Attack on Titan!  Keep going!  The story gets so wtf insane, and the clues just keep building up that there is some serious existential horror behind everything that's going on.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111517 on: August 20, 2013, 08:26:49 pm »

I got my hands on the subtitled version a while ago, but haven't sat down to watch it yet. If it's that good, I might have to start.

I haven't seen much more than the first episode yet, but

a. Novel art direction that isn't too disturbingly experimental
b. New spins on familiar plot structuring/scene setups suggest that things will be good
c. Monsters that made me reflexively hiss "yessssssssss" when I saw them
d. Homage to the "Eva takes its first step and a telephone booth shatters" scene
e. HORRIBLE MONSTROSITIES that will provide excellent nightmare fuel

So yeah, it's kind of got what I like.

Feeling a lot better.  I've got The Red Shoes, Gojira, and The Cabin in the Woods out of the library, too, which is awesome because I've got like three amazing horror/awfulness films to watch, and I'm thinking about getting the other Guillermo del Toro movies out of the library in the next while.  Haven't even seen Hellboy or anything.

:3

Actually, I really do feel much better.  I'm going to go get the other two items on today's to-do list done!  That being, ah, making my bed and tidying my room, LOL >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111518 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »

serious existential horror behind everything

Perfect, I need more ontological mystery in my fiction.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #111519 on: August 20, 2013, 08:33:03 pm »

Anyone just starting Attack on Titan should brace themselves for plot twists, plot twists, twists in the plot, and boiled potatoes. Shit gets intense, and it's awesome.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111520 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:20 pm »

... and I'm thinking about getting the other Guillermo del Toro movies out of the library in the next while.  Haven't even seen Hellboy or anything.
In case you haven't seen it, watch Pan's Labyrinth. It's awesome and you'll understand why the movie snobs are less enthusiastic about Pacific Rim.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111521 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »

Regarding Attack on Titan stuff:
d. Homage to the "Eva takes its first step and a telephone booth shatters" scene
Hell yeah! I knew that couldn't just be my imagination, but even TVTropes seems to have missed that one. It's almost frame-for-frame perfect.

In unrelated happy news, today was unquestionably a good day. Got a nice early start on work, which is the only reason I'm posting at 7:30 in the evening instead of after midnight. Had a delicious turkey burger on a whole-wheat bun, with lettuce, onions, cheddar cheese, and some sort of chipotle sauce that gave everything just enough kick to be tasty without burning my tastebuds. Drove through some really awesome thunderstorms, which at two different points actually forced me to turn the wipers on full-tilt and still not keep up. Counted 12 clear, really amazing (and nearby) lightning bolts, the vast majority taking place directly in front of me for an impressive view. Improved at this strange and wonderful ability to shift gears without working the clutch. And now my work day is done at a decent hour and I can kick back until the morning.

Good day. Way better than the last few by a long shot.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111522 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:16 pm »

Regarding Attack on Titan stuff:
Hell yeah! I knew that couldn't just be my imagination, but even TVTropes seems to have missed that one. It's almost frame-for-frame perfect.

I literally watch for it in every Giant Monster thing now :D

... and I'm thinking about getting the other Guillermo del Toro movies out of the library in the next while.  Haven't even seen Hellboy or anything.
In case you haven't seen it, watch Pan's Labyrinth. It's awesome and you'll understand why the movie snobs are less enthusiastic about Pacific Rim.

Not only have I seen it like 5 times, I also own the DVD and almost broke it off with an ex because he was too Hollywood/Spielberg-vanilla to enjoy it.  I have also lost friends over their Pacific Rim-snobbing--let me be clear, here.

SHRUG

But yeah, I know everyone's going to keep being wrong all over the internet about this, whatever ;D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111523 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »

Now I want to see Pacific Rim again just to look for a "footstep breaks phonebooth" scene :P

Plus, you know, it's a fun movie. Which is always a good reason to see it again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111524 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:00 pm »

When everyone is special, nobody is.
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 7433 7434 [7435] 7436 7437 ... 13325