Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7432 7433 [7434] 7435 7436 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746092 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #111496 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:36 pm »

Cleaned out my laptop with a can of air I got a while ago today!

I had been putting it off since I doubted the effectiveness of blowing dust off of the fans and such, but -wow- I dropped from an average of 80C to 50C while running firefox  :D. Maybe I can actually play anything beyond terraria without blowing my computer up now.

Not sure what is in the can of air, but some sort of endothermic reaction was going on -ice started forming on the outside. That was pretty cool.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111497 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:36 pm »

Cleaned out my laptop with a can of air I got a while ago today!

I had been putting it off since I doubted the effectiveness of blowing dust off of the fans and such, but -wow- I dropped from an average of 80C to 50C while running firefox  :D. Maybe I can actually play anything beyond terraria without blowing my computer up now.

Not sure what is in the can of air, but some sort of endothermic reaction was going on -ice started forming on the outside. That was pretty cool.
Has to do with pressure and volume and temperature...physics stuff. Volume doesn't change significantly but the pressure drops rapidly, causing the inside of the can (and thence the can itself) to cool rapidly, causing moisture to condense out of the air. It's actually the same phenomena that causes rain -- hot, moist air cools and water condenses out and falls.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111498 on: August 20, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »

This is related to a crosspost from the terrified thread, interestingly enough. I don't necessarily agree with the point being made, but damn me if it isn't done in a funny way.

Quote from: diGitalRchitect
If I'm going to have to forfeit my right to privacy every time I communicate on the the Internet, then I want to make this work for me. Every time I get an e-mail that I recognize as a phishing attempt, I want the ability to reply "Hey NSA, phishing" and have it taken care of, promptly. Every time I get a phone call in the middle of th night with someone making lewd comments, I want to whisper "Hey NSA, pervert" and hear a knock at the door on the other end of the phone. Every time I find a fraudulent charge on my credit card, I want to check the box, "NSA trace" and hear about the helicopters landing in someone's front lawn. If you can't give me the services I want in exchange for my privacy, then keep out of my business.

This.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111499 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:18 pm »

RAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN AND THUUUUUUUUUUNDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just going to take a guess here, don't blame me if I'm wrong, do you by any chance like thunderstorms?

Besides loving thunderstorms this was more of an ecstatic happy because I've been in this hellhole of a town for three weeks now, and only a few days did the mid-day temperature drop below 40°C, so this was a very very welcome change.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111500 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:44 pm »

I tend to prefer WW1 military histories (like Lawrence) over WW2 military histories, because WW1 has more of a "This was a terrible tragedy for everyone", while WW2 has the tinge of "Roh roh roh, Fight da Nazis, go USA, go Allies!"

The civilian side, on the other hand... Well, I think that's fairly obvious. :/
Probably because there was a better case to be made that WW2 was more or less about good guys fighting bad guys and the good guys won (though there's many, many, holes to be pocked in that argument).
Whereas WW1 was basically imperialism vs imperialism. What's more the entire thing may have mostly been a bit of an accident.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and WW2 had no "good guys". It had the "evil fuckers" and the "slightly less evil fuckers". The Lawful Good vs. Lawful Evil spin that history has been papered over with is about as accurate as the idea that the U.S. beat Germany single-handedly, with a tiny bit of help from their stout but ineffectual British allies.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111501 on: August 20, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »

I tend to prefer WW1 military histories (like Lawrence) over WW2 military histories, because WW1 has more of a "This was a terrible tragedy for everyone", while WW2 has the tinge of "Roh roh roh, Fight da Nazis, go USA, go Allies!"

The civilian side, on the other hand... Well, I think that's fairly obvious. :/
Probably because there was a better case to be made that WW2 was more or less about good guys fighting bad guys and the good guys won (though there's many, many, holes to be pocked in that argument).
Whereas WW1 was basically imperialism vs imperialism. What's more the entire thing may have mostly been a bit of an accident.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and WW2 had no "good guys". It had the "evil fuckers" and the "slightly less evil fuckers". The Lawful Good vs. Lawful Evil spin that history has been papered over with is about as accurate as the idea that the U.S. beat Germany single-handedly, with a tiny bit of help from their stout but ineffectual British allies.
I just finished it now, and yes, very good book, though like I said, I think it's the second most depressing thing I've ever read.

Next on my reading list it's a toss up between reading "Pillars of Earth", and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #111502 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:31 pm »

If you read the Tattoo one you will lose all your hipster cred though. I'd go for the other one.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111503 on: August 20, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »

If you read the Tattoo one you will lose all your hipster cred though. I'd go for the other one.
Pillars is a rather popular book too I believe. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111504 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:25 pm »

Keeping your hipster cred loses all your hipster cred, too, though. I'd probably say just pull out the local coinage and flip for it. P comes before T, so Pillars of Earth is heads.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111505 on: August 20, 2013, 05:36:53 pm »

I stopped trying to accumulate hipster cred ages ago, instead I started trading it for kudos and brownie points.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111506 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:27 pm »

Next time a hipster gets all up in your face about his hipster cred, and how you are mainstream scum, remind him that it's mainstream to be not mainstream.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111507 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:39 pm »

I stopped trying to accumulate hipster cred ages ago, instead I started trading it for kudos and brownie points.
Don't you know? The market value on those has sunk like a golden teapot on a neutron star.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111508 on: August 20, 2013, 05:41:42 pm »

The solution is to read a review on both and just pretend you read both super fast.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111509 on: August 20, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »

Don't you know? The market value on those has sunk like a golden teapot on a neutron star.
But they pay better dividends where it counts, so bleh. :p
Pages: 1 ... 7432 7433 [7434] 7435 7436 ... 13325