Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7277 7278 [7279] 7280 7281 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746349 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #109170 on: July 13, 2013, 01:04:04 am »

I decided to give the Devil May Cry reboot a chance.

Gameplay-wise it's about the same, but easy, even easier than DMC 4.  The weapon style is pretty cool, instead of switching between your whole arsenal you have rebellion by default, and when you hold down the trigger keys you attack with your angel/demon weapons instead.  There's at least two of each, possibly more, and they have different playstyles (Demon weapons are slow but strong and best for single enemies, angel weapons are fast medium-range weapons), and being able to instantly switch weapons around like this makes for more varied and intuitive combat. 

It's much more western, but somehow manages to be way crazier than the Japanese DMC games, like the time you

Spoiler: Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, maybe this is just the same gaijin sensibilities that kept me from enjoying God Hand's humor, but Dante's banter with the bosses in these is much less terrible.  It's still bad, but in an obviously tongue in cheek kind of way.  The old games were just strange.  Dante's sense of humor is obviously demonic because it's perpendicular to what any sane human would consider funny or even a joke at all, but the demons clearly get it because they get really fucking pissed.  They could've at least given us human subtitles.

7/5
Well if i ever create a game i know what the final boss is gonna be now.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #109171 on: July 13, 2013, 01:08:47 am »

stuff
I'm not going to say anything other than DMC 3>DMC4>DMC1>DMC2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMC Reboot. Oh, and this.

The way Ninja Theory handled rebooting an existing franchise with a decently sized, dedicated fanbase was really bad. The combat was significantly dumbed down in comparison to previous games (SSS rank with one hit, anyone?). Not to mention the story and characters were so cringe worthy, that if you created a machine that could transfer the energy made when a person cringes, you'd be able to power an entire city for a year on that energy alone from making someone play this game.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #109172 on: July 13, 2013, 01:54:41 am »

Sharknado was amazing. It was everything I wanted it to be and more.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #109173 on: July 13, 2013, 02:03:23 am »

Not to mention the story and characters were so cringe worthy, that if you created a machine that could transfer the energy made when a person cringes, you'd be able to power an entire city for a year on that energy alone from making someone play this game.

It's not a great story, but let's not get fucking carried away here.

Shoes...

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109174 on: July 13, 2013, 02:05:50 am »

Not to mention the story and characters were so cringe worthy, that if you created a machine that could transfer the energy made when a person cringes, you'd be able to power an entire city for a year on that energy alone from making someone play this game.

It's not a great story, but let's not get fucking carried away here.
It's the echo that gets me. Mixed in with "light" becoming strangely high-pitched, every damn time. I just can't keep a straight face.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109175 on: July 13, 2013, 02:25:37 am »

The only DMC I ever played was four. It was terrible, yet bizarrely compelling.

Well, actually, DMC4 wasn't so much compelling as listening to The Time Has Come for several collective hours was, which is good since that fucking song plays over most of the game.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109176 on: July 13, 2013, 02:26:55 am »

That is pretty amazing.

Batman, Batman~  You're so fun.

I like how heavy he feels.  And also how blatantly ridiculous this whole game is, and how seriously he tries to take himself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109177 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:27 am »

They did do a fantastic job with communicating a brutal street fighting aesthetic through the sound effects and animations and such.  Making every impact feel so.... impactful... like Batman's limbs are concrete wrapped in skin.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #109178 on: July 13, 2013, 02:48:46 am »

Oh man I loved that game too.  It's true, Batman feels very weighty.  I think I mentioned something about how weighty the combat feels on this thread a long time ago.

Right,

Batman's vowed never to take a life, but I can't really believe him.  He never uses guns or anything, but when you slam the bottom of a riot shield down on a guy's forehead, you're no longer using nonlethal force.  Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Shoes...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #109179 on: July 13, 2013, 02:56:30 am »

Haha:

Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart[1] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963), was a British Army officer of Belgian and Irish descent. He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War, was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear, survived a plane crash, tunneled out of a POW camp, and bit off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. He later said, "Frankly I had enjoyed the war... ...and why do people want peace if the war is so much fun?"
Clearly he's Rasputin's long lost half brother.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109180 on: July 13, 2013, 03:02:53 am »

Yeah.  He's a slow runner, he falls fast, he's a little hard to roll out of the way of things.  I really like that he may be fast for his size, but he sure as hell isn't fast.

I'm also totally into the clothing damage.  Gradual clothing damage is one of my favorite video game stylistic tropes (best seen in FFVIII, actually, but it's pretty amazing here as well).

Oh man I loved that game too.  It's true, Batman feels very weighty.  I think I mentioned something about how weighty the combat feels on this thread a long time ago.

Right,

Batman's vowed never to take a life, but I can't really believe him.  He never uses guns or anything, but when you slam the bottom of a riot shield down on a guy's forehead, you're no longer using nonlethal force.  Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Hahaha, indeed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #109181 on: July 13, 2013, 03:39:51 am »

Went to the Magic prerelease, lost every match. I am okay with that, even if I'm kicking myself for the (many) stupid mistakes that almost certainly cost me entire games. It was still fun, because every game but one was very close enough that I felt like I had a chance. The suspense was there! I even won one game, even if I ultimately lost to that player in the other two games in the match. Also, Lightning Talons has earned the appellation "Traitorous Swine", which is fairly impressive for something that isn't even a creature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109182 on: July 13, 2013, 04:40:15 am »

Went to the Magic prerelease, lost every match. I am okay with that, even if I'm kicking myself for the (many) stupid mistakes that almost certainly cost me entire games. It was still fun, because every game but one was very close enough that I felt like I had a chance. The suspense was there! I even won one game, even if I ultimately lost to that player in the other two games in the match. Also, Lightning Talons has earned the appellation "Traitorous Swine", which is fairly impressive for something that isn't even a creature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haha, that's a good one. Guess you should've slow rolled him so you could've swung in for lethal on another turn instead of going all in and hoping he didn't have the answer to kill you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #109183 on: July 13, 2013, 04:47:19 am »

Yar, but I was more worried about losing if I waited too long. If he got a blocker out, or just didn't swing with the Tyrant on his next turn for whatever diabolical reason (possibly just because I had a creature out), I'd be in a bad place. A dude with haste was a godsend, really, because it gave me a chance. I didn't really have a win condition. He had long-term lifegain on the field (Path of Bravery or somesuch, I forget the name), so I needed to go fast, and I needed his Sliver to live long enough to multiply my own*, so I couldn't burn it without guaranteeing my own failure.

*Amusing, since the changes to Slivers were supposed to prevent exactly that, although for different reasons. This is probably an expected outcome of treason shenanigans.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109184 on: July 13, 2013, 04:51:28 am »

I was kind of sad because my friend is still missing so I decided to buy a four pack of Rockstar and a pizza yesterday to cheer myself up. It helped and I'm at least a bit happier now today than I was yesterday.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 7277 7278 [7279] 7280 7281 ... 13325