Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7014 7015 [7016] 7017 7018 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15835757 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #105225 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:19 pm »

>_>

Decided to go with some Basterds, just for the sake of contrariosity.  So far it's okay.  I haven't laughed once, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #105226 on: May 07, 2013, 11:43:32 pm »

>_>

Decided to go with some Basterds, just for the sake of contrariosity.  So far it's okay.  I haven't laughed once, though.
Yeah, not really a laughing movie, apart from
Spoiler: DONT LOOK (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105227 on: May 07, 2013, 11:47:16 pm »

>_>

Were you under the impression it was meant to be a funny movie? It is not. Heck, the Basterds themselves are just a side plot.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #105228 on: May 07, 2013, 11:48:16 pm »

>_>

Were you under the impression it was meant to be a funny movie? It is not. Heck, the Basterds themselves are just a side plot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105229 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:06 pm »

Yeah, for some reason my father was all "oh, it's so hilarious!"

Look, I got the explicit reference to Downfall and all the milk-drinking is frankly kind of silly, but I'm having trouble feeling very entertained.  On the other hand, the tension did a good job of wiping the slate clean, so there's that.

Also I really don't like Christopher Walken or whoever.  Not his role.  I just can't stand watching that particular actor, and I hate listening to him talk, which is a real pity.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105230 on: May 08, 2013, 12:03:25 am »

>_>

Yeah, not really a laughing movie, apart from
Spoiler: DONT LOOK (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Similar spoilers (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105231 on: May 08, 2013, 12:11:41 am »

Other question, I guess: is Kill Bill funny?  Or is it just another revenge flick?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105232 on: May 08, 2013, 12:13:15 am »

Eh. Mostly a revenge flick. Kinda funny in it's own way, but in a similar fashion to Basterds.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #105233 on: May 08, 2013, 12:14:44 am »

Kill Bill is very funny. It continues the extremely recognizable brand of Tarantino humor that Pulp Fiction started.

You'll like Kill Bill. I hated Inglorious Basterds when I first saw it, but it grew on me eventually.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105234 on: May 08, 2013, 12:16:17 am »

Inglorious Basterds was a very strange film for me. I liked it well enough, but I still don't know how I feel about it. I like ridiculousness that takes itself seriously, and there's a lot of that in the movie. It's weird how it swings between stupid-silly and grim drama, though. Makes the story feels off-kilter, like it never really settles. Like I said, I still don't know how I feel about it. But maybe there's something to be said for being able to do that?

EDIT: I enjoyed Kill Bill, but the humor is still metahumor... over-the-top stuff that portrays itself seriously, but is ridiculous. It meshes together with the seriousness a bit better, though. Less lambasting, and more telling a story for the sake of telling a story.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:19:01 am by Solifuge »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105235 on: May 08, 2013, 12:16:42 am »

Other question, I guess: is Kill Bill funny?  Or is it just another revenge flick?
Kill Bill is funny as a parody of anime and martial arts movies. If you can see the humor in somebody having their arm chopped clean off in a single swing and about 50 liters of blood gushing out in a fountain, it is funny. Some people actually laugh at just how over the top and bizarre it constantly is, but if that doesn't appeal to you then no, it is not funny.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105236 on: May 08, 2013, 12:17:27 am »

It all sort of depends on what you find funny.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #105237 on: May 08, 2013, 12:18:55 am »

Regardless as to if it is funny or not, Kill Bill is an excellent film. I think I actually might like it more than Pulp Fiction, and I really like Pulp Fiction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105238 on: May 08, 2013, 12:22:19 am »

See, I laughed my head off when they kept on pegging that one corpse in Django Unchained.  But I feel like these movies are things that should really be enjoyed in a big audience, somehow.  They aren't made to be watched alone.

I actually liked Django Unchained a lot, because it was horrible.  It contained the things I most like in movies, to an extent slightly more than I wanted.  I didn't want that much human terribleness (Leonardo DiCaprio was, frankly, a bit more than I could handle), and I didn't want that much ridiculous stuff.  But that's what I got, and somehow the very fact that I was like "whoa, I don't want any more of that" was exactly what made it so satisfying.

Well, we'll see.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105239 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:25 am »

I don't think that corpse was a corpse...

Maybe it was, it's been a few months since I saw it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7014 7015 [7016] 7017 7018 ... 13326