Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6823 6824 [6825] 6826 6827 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15746194 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #102360 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »

a+b = c is a function that takes two values (a and b) and outputs a single value (called c).  We move to functions in general because studying things in generality is more fun.

Matrices are pretty similar.  They show, basically, how you can smoothly deform one vector space into another.  "Vector space" meaning here something like Rn.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #102361 on: March 25, 2013, 11:19:51 pm »

Saw the redheaded girl from work today. Aaand I'm apparently an adept flirt. At one point, I said, "Quit checking me out, I'm working here!" Then I put on some sunglasses and walked away from an explosion. But in reality, it was good. I find myself very easily able to talk to her and apparently I know how to flirt very well, but also not so flirty that it's an overt advance. She invited me to go bowling with her though, so it's a start.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102362 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »

hans I get your personal text now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102363 on: March 25, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »

Hans has a lady friend ♪
Max, don't you kind of want one of those yourself?
Shut up, introspection! If I wanted to hear from you I would get drunk!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102364 on: March 25, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »

Hehehe, did you see Inglourious Basterds?

Hans has a lady friend ♪
Max, don't you kind of want one of those yourself?
Shut up, introspection! If I wanted to hear from you I would get drunk!

I'm not sure if I do or not yet, but we'll see. I'm apparently charming and not ugly. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102365 on: March 25, 2013, 11:26:11 pm »

Hehehe, did you see Inglourious Basterds?

yes i did

and pulp fiction a couple days before that

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102366 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:49 pm »

Operation "Hot Shower, Cold Drink" results: The after-shower gulp of cold water was disappointing. But I took a couple sips while I was in the shower and those were fantastic.

Reminds me of a story. Years ago, while I worked for a local supermarket chain, I shipped out to another city for a week to help get the photo/media department at a new branch running. Since it was kind of a pain in the butt, I had no car, and it was hours away from home, they agreed to put me up in a nice hotel room for the week, with a jacuzzi.

After a long and stressful first day, I grabbed a lemon slush in a gigantic insulated cup on my way out, and rode my bike back to the hotel. I navigated the dark streets of an unfamiliar town, got briefly lost in the woods after the subdivision road I was on suddenly vanished, and finally wheeled my sore, dusty, scratched-up face back into my hotel room, whereupon I immediately collapsed into the jacuzzi, sipping on the mostly melted but still ice-cold slushy.

It was pretty amazing. Best experience working retail by far.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #102367 on: March 25, 2013, 11:57:17 pm »

Saw the redheaded girl from work today. Aaand I'm apparently an adept flirt. At one point, I said, "Quit checking me out, I'm working here!" Then I put on some sunglasses and walked away from an explosion. But in reality, it was good. I find myself very easily able to talk to her and apparently I know how to flirt very well, but also not so flirty that it's an overt advance. She invited me to go bowling with her though, so it's a start.
Good job, though I'm unsure of your goal in this.
At least it'll be good for your psyche.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102368 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:36 pm »

All this talk of imaginary units and finite numbers, I have to ask something I've never understood: how are imaginary numbers useful in the real world? Are they actually used in the equations for calculating the position the wizard magnets need to be on Cern's LHC to create evaporating black holes? Do engineers use i to solve real mechanical problems at any given point? Do accountants use i to calculate the maximum profit point on a graph of price*volume sold vs. total profit or something?
It has a use in electronics with alternating current and capacitors and stuff. I'm not entirely sure what, though - I could explain it after digging in a textbook for a bit, but that sounds like it'd be a rather terrible experience for all involved :P

As for most other things, I've yet to run into someone using that definition of i for practical purposes. Of course, I'm still only halfway through my bachelor's degree, so I'm probably not the most credible source on such things.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #102369 on: March 26, 2013, 12:00:53 am »

I know that Google's search algorithms make reasonably heavy use of complex numbers, so there's that, too.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102370 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:57 am »

Finally finished with the weekend's homework! Woo!

* MaximumZero falls asleep, destined to wake up in not enough time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #102371 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:11 am »

All this talk of imaginary units and finite numbers, I have to ask something I've never understood: how are imaginary numbers useful in the real world? Are they actually used in the equations for calculating the position the wizard magnets need to be on Cern's LHC to create evaporating black holes? Do engineers use i to solve real mechanical problems at any given point? Do accountants use i to calculate the maximum profit point on a graph of price*volume sold vs. total profit or something?
It has a use in electronics with alternating current and capacitors and stuff. I'm not entirely sure what, though - I could explain it after digging in a textbook for a bit, but that sounds like it'd be a rather terrible experience for all involved :P

As for most other things, I've yet to run into someone using that definition of i for practical purposes. Of course, I'm still only halfway through my bachelor's degree, so I'm probably not the most credible source on such things.
Also quaternions. Just about every rotation in 3 dimensional space can be done faster/easier with quaternions, which are themselves 4 dimensions consisting of the normal numbers and imaginary number dimensions i, j and k.

Imaginary numbers also feature heavily in anything related to wave phenomena: A wave consists of a feedback system between 2 elements, be it pressure and velocity (sound), electricity and magnetism (light, electrical components), or similar. Even at the very forefront of theoretical physics, the concept of 'imaginary time' has come up, as is mentioned by Hawking in some of his books, as it becoems an incredibly useful tool for examining otherwise unexaminable phenomena (like the event horizons of black holes and The Big Bang itself). These typically behave like they are 2 dimensions, both perpendicular to one another. Through systems similar to those in quaternions, you can represent those with imaginary numbers in order to treat numbers geometrically.

Imaginary numbers are perpendicular to real numbers, as well as perpendicular to any additionally defined sets of imaginary numbers. And this relationship shares the qualities of geometric perpendicularity which is immensely useful in a huge varieties of things.

So yeah, your modern life kinda depends on them. :P
Spoiler: A visual comparison (click to show/hide)
So, think through the math involved in that image. A multiplication of complex numbers is exactly the equivalent of performing a rotation in space. A simple multiplication, and you've suddenly removed the need for any sort of complex sin/cos/tan operations (which for computers are uber-slow, and for humans are just annoying). Multiplying any unit-vector of these complex numbers gives you the equivalent of rotating one by an amount equal to the second.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:39:41 am by alway »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102372 on: March 26, 2013, 12:36:52 am »

Real simple example: the complex argument is the angle in radians of a point on the complex plain. All real numbers are 0; all imaginary numbers are pi/2. Because of this, all angles and imaginary numbers can be represented by re, which I think gets usage in some engineering fields.

My calculator has no caret!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:10:53 pm by Putnam »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #102373 on: March 26, 2013, 01:05:30 am »

You could do this instead. XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102374 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:13 am »

I've had this stuck in my head all day and it makes me inexplicably happy every time I think about it.
Pages: 1 ... 6823 6824 [6825] 6826 6827 ... 13325