Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6822 6823 [6824] 6825 6826 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15743932 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #102345 on: March 25, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »

I don't see a bird O_o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #102346 on: March 25, 2013, 10:01:10 pm »

It's just Vector continuing her unending quest to rumble Bay12's tummy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102347 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »

For those of us who understand a little math, this is incredibly lulzy.  It's a crank paper like none I've ever seen before.

However, it does not follow that the power set of the set of all natural numbers has the same degree of infinity as the continuum, since this would leave only two degrees of infinity. It might be more intuitive to assume that there are infinite degrees of infinity, as there are infinite finite numbers, than to presume a finite degree of infiniteness.  Why would there be less degrees of infinity than number of finite numbers?

I was laughing by halfway through the fifth page :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102348 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:03 pm »

This person is just so sincere.  The story about high school, all the mess about carefully defining things without any apparent self-consciousness... best crank is best :D

EDIT: If you read no other page, read the entirety of p. 26.  It's fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:12:52 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102349 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:37 pm »

Reminds me of... myself, hehe, if a calculator were my only math teacher in life :P

Related: I posted this on Facebook:

i^i = e^(-pi/2)!

Then I looked at it again.

i^i = e^(-pi/2)!

i^i = e^(-pi/2)!
i^i = e^(-pi/2)!

god dammit that's not right

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102350 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:19 pm »

Is it me, or does Vector's avatar look like a bird?
An incredibly pudgy white and black parrotish bird, yes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102351 on: March 25, 2013, 10:55:47 pm »

Is it me, or does Vector's avatar look like a bird?
An incredibly pudgy white and black parrotish bird, yes.
My fiance was saying the exact same thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102352 on: March 25, 2013, 11:00:27 pm »

All this talk of imaginary units and finite numbers, I have to ask something I've never understood: how are imaginary numbers useful in the real world? Are they actually used in the equations for calculating the position the wizard magnets need to be on Cern's LHC to create evaporating black holes? Do engineers use i to solve real mechanical problems at any given point? Do accountants use i to calculate the maximum profit point on a graph of price*volume sold vs. total profit or something?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102353 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »

Electricity and rotation, if I remember correctly.  Uh, and eigenvalues for matrices, which the physicists seem to like a lot.  Someone more applied-side should give a fuller answer, because I'm curious about this, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102354 on: March 25, 2013, 11:05:14 pm »

I'm still not sure how we go from a+b=c to functions, matrices, vectors and whatnot. I mean, sure, I sort of got that far, but I never really understood the why behind any of the new tools. Nobody ever said, "Matrices are useful for this, functions are useful for that," they just said, "Do these until you get them right."

It's kind of depressing, actually.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102355 on: March 25, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »

Matrices are useful as a data aggregate. Functions are useful for... Well fuck what aren't they useful for? The usefulness of functions knows no bounds!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #102356 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:12 pm »

I always thought mathematicians just shrugged and said, "Why the fuck not?" when they were asked that question.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102357 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »

In a proper math class ideally you'd have "Real World Problems" for those kinds of things. Of course when we went over i, the teacher just sort of scratched her head, but that's probably because we would have gone limp wristed at the sight of diff equations at that point.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102358 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:30 pm »

I knew who it was already, guys. :D I just thought I'd ask since usually it ends up with me finding a song I hadn't thought of yet, I haven't heard all of the C&C music yet.

I just coast on youtube.  The best is still Act on Instinct and Hell's March.  Those are the classic C&C songs.  And Mechanical Man.  You can't beat Mechanical Man. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #102359 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15:22 pm »

freeformschooler: Quaternions, an imaginary number that cycles through four letters instead of one, like i, are apparently realy useful in 3d rendering...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 6822 6823 [6824] 6825 6826 ... 13325