Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6814 6815 [6816] 6817 6818 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15747895 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #102225 on: March 24, 2013, 02:12:15 am »

Fuck you, Microsoft. That's bullshit. I hate scvhost with a passion. Probably because it runs 20 instances at once, when it should only be one.
Just restart your computer..?
Or manually turn off those services you aren't using, if you know how.

Not a programmer...so forgive me asking.
What does that thing do anyway? O_o [scvhost.exe]
Your computer has build in services, but these services need a host to run them, that is what scvhost is.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #102226 on: March 24, 2013, 02:28:10 am »

SVCHOST stands for Service Host. It's basically an executable that allows services to attach to it, so that they may work. The program was coded to accept no more than X connections from services, which was fine in the olden days of 95 and 98, but with modern computers having so many more services, the computer automatically starts a new iteration of SVCHOST as needed.

It can take lots of CPU and RAM because sometimes the services that attach to it could be sloppily coded (third party ones especially)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #102227 on: March 24, 2013, 02:28:50 am »

Just watched Inglourious Basterds

oh my god I understand Hanslanda's name now :3

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102228 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:35 am »

Well at least now we can safely use the term 'Bear Jew' without somebody thinking it is offensive...

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102229 on: March 24, 2013, 03:37:36 am »

SVCHOST stands for Service Host. It's basically an executable that allows services to attach to it, so that they may work. The program was coded to accept no more than X connections from services, which was fine in the olden days of 95 and 98, but with modern computers having so many more services, the computer automatically starts a new iteration of SVCHOST as needed.

It can take lots of CPU and RAM because sometimes the services that attach to it could be sloppily coded (third party ones especially)

Curiously, a cursory investigation of Task Manager reveals to me that I have no iterations of SVCHOST running on my computer. Which is a little weird, I think.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102230 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:38 am »

Processes for all users shown? Unless you're not on windows/using one of the newer ones I have no idea of specifics of.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102231 on: March 24, 2013, 05:44:24 am »

I'm the only user, because it's my private laptop. Running Windows 7.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102232 on: March 24, 2013, 05:48:39 am »

Nope, Chuck Testa...

I mean, there's also the system user.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #102233 on: March 24, 2013, 07:54:39 am »

I use Task Manager. :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102234 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:25 am »

I'm the only user, because it's my private laptop. Running Windows 7.
You're the only literal user. But theres also SYSTEM and NETWORK SERVICE and LOCAL SERVICE.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102235 on: March 24, 2013, 11:28:15 am »

Our overlord just did an AMA on reddit, and it was great.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102236 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:15 pm »

Doing some dawn of war. Just... just want to say. "Unyielding Hammer of Woe" makes me happy. I don't exactly know why. Might be the delivery in game or something. S'just... s'just a nice turn of phrase.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102237 on: March 24, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »

Link?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
Ask!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102239 on: March 24, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

Link?

Should have thought of that. Thanks, Frumple.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 6814 6815 [6816] 6817 6818 ... 13325